Swimbait Rod Options

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Swimbait Rod Options

Post by Abu Daimano » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:33 am

I'm looking to add a rod that can comfortably toss 3oz. Swimbaits (imakatsu husky hasuzzy mostly, with some gantarels and LC real bluegills thrown in for good measure). I have rods rated up to 3 1/4 oz and 4 oz, but both feel a little overloaded with the imakatsu on it. Any recommendations? I'm not looking for top of the line, and sensitivity doesn't have to be paramount since it will be mainly used for surface or subsurface use, but I would like something at least a little exotic. Even though they aren't really, I'd been looking at the Levante or XX Leviathan, and wouldn't want to spent too much more than that unless it was a steal or a truly unique rod.

DocTom
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Swimbait Rod Options

Post by DocTom » Tue May 03, 2016 6:59 am

Have had a look at the okuma guide select range of rods already?
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewokuma711mhsb.html
Hard to get these days but great vfm and the rear grip of the cork modells is somewhat exotic. If you like one piece casting rods
... :big grin:
TOm

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Swimbait Rod Options

Post by beezy » Sun May 08, 2016 10:57 am

Abu Daimano wrote:I'm looking to add a rod that can comfortably toss 3oz. Swimbaits (imakatsu husky hasuzzy mostly, with some gantarels and LC real bluegills thrown in for good measure). I have rods rated up to 3 1/4 oz and 4 oz, but both feel a little overloaded with the imakatsu on it. Any recommendations? I'm not looking for top of the line, and sensitivity doesn't have to be paramount since it will be mainly used for surface or subsurface use, but I would like something at least a little exotic. Even though they aren't really, I'd been looking at the Levante or XX Leviathan, and wouldn't want to spent too much more than that unless it was a steal or a truly unique rod.
What is your budget? $300? The okuma swimbait rods are the best budget rods out there for chucking swimbaits. I think the most important thing that always get overlooked is the actual length of the handle when you're fishing it. My favorite rod for 3-4oz swimbaits right now is the dobyns champion mike long 795 swimbait rod. The only thing I would love for dobyns to do to that rod is change the reel seat to not have the exposed blank reel seat but have the original fuji ECS reel seat. Other than that, it's a solid rod option. But, if you list out how much you're willing to spend then it'll be easier to help you pick out a rod.