Daiwa Cronos

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Cronos

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:01 am

How far up the blank is the braiding x? First or second guide?

brighamvang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brighamvang » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:02 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:How far up the blank is the braiding x? First or second guide?
On the 7'3 it's wrap up to the 4th guide, about 3/4 of the blank is wrap.

Reel seat does not have expose blank.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:08 am

I finally got to handle one of these rods yesterday, and ended up buying a 7-3 MH. Paired it with a Steez SV TW with a DIY spool loaded with 24 pound Gliss. Today went down to New River and tempted a couple of smallmouth into coming out to play. After fishing this rod today I have to agree with a big gee. This rod is light, sensitive and the action is perfect. I too can't understand why this rod is not mentioned more than it is on here. I think it's more sensitive than my zillion rods which are a mix of old and new versions. I would really like to see Daiwa hang a set of ags guides on this blank. That would be one fine sub 300 rod, considering Daiwa claims the ags guides alone add 100 to the price.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:47 am

Daiwafan, I have 3 of the 7'3"MH paired with Zillion SV TW's. I love that rod. I recently been using them more and more on small swimbaits up to 5 inches and 1/2 oz. I may end up getting a couple of more just to have them. You know how these companies discontinue models all the time.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:30 am

I am going to get another 7-3 because I like this one so much. I like the super small diameter of the blank, the handle length and design, really everything. Also anxious to get a 7 foot Tatula Elite with the AGS guides to compare it to this rod. I honestly don't see how the blank could be any better, it's plenty sensitive.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Question, are the reel seats "soft touch" reel seats?

Thanks!

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:15 pm

They are not the Fuji Soft touch if that is what you mean.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 am

daiwafan wrote:I finally got to handle one of these rods yesterday, and ended up buying a 7-3 MH. Paired it with a Steez SV TW with a DIY spool loaded with 24 pound Gliss. Today went down to New River and tempted a couple of smallmouth into coming out to play. After fishing this rod today I have to agree with a big gee. This rod is light, sensitive and the action is perfect. I too can't understand why this rod is not mentioned more than it is on here. I think it's more sensitive than my zillion rods which are a mix of old and new versions. I would really like to see Daiwa hang a set of ags guides on this blank. That would be one fine sub 300 rod, considering Daiwa claims the ags guides alone add 100 to the price.
u make me want one now since i'm a huge fan of the zillions. where is ur actual balancing pt? a pic would be awesome. thx man

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:07 am

big_gee wrote:Daiwafan, I have 3 of the 7'3"MH paired with Zillion SV TW's. I love that rod. I recently been using them more and more on small swimbaits up to 5 inches and 1/2 oz. I may end up getting a couple of more just to have them. You know how these companies discontinue models all the time.
Big_Gee do you know something or heard something...? I was wondering how and why they would have two lines of rods at at $179 with the non AGS rods and the Cronos filling that niche.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:49 am

I have not heard anything and I'm not sure why they are doing that. My understanding is the signature series Tatulas that are bottom contact will have the AGS. I heard a couple of pros wanted certain action for reaction rods but how many do you need to make to satisfy everyone.

I will get some with AGS but I will also keep my Cronos.

Hope the Tat's are a hit but hard to say.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:17 am

I picked up a 7'3" MH over the winter, the 50th Anniversary model with the gold accents. What little I could find on the rod sounded promising so I purchased it, just waiting on warmer weather to give it a try.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:55 am

Your gonna like that rod. I believe they are underrated.

Let us know what you think once you get to fish it.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:26 am

I'm looking at a second rod for my sv103 (only take 2 rods on the kayak), will the 73MH cronos launch 3/4 oz comfortably?

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:53 am

u make me want one now since i'm a huge fan of the zillions. where is ur actual balancing pt? a pic would be awesome. thx man[/quote]

The balancing point with the Steez TWS is around 3/4 of inch forward of the reel nut.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 am

I got to see most of the Tatula Elite rods this past weekend, the rods with AGS will be 299 and the rods with normal guides will be 199. I spent most of the time looking at the 701MMHXB designed by Brent Ehrler. It felt really nice in hand, and I was tempted to pre-order one on the spot, although I did not. I also remember a 7-6 heavy designed by Ish, and a 6-7 ML designed by one of the other pros. There were also several non AGS casting rods but I was really fascinated by the Ehrler rod. Not all of them have the extended foam piece ahead of the reel seat like the rods pictured in the various Project T 2017 Videos on YouTube. The Ehrler rod and the ML rod had a much shorter foam section which is more visually appealing to me.