Anyone find "The One"?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone find "The One"?

Post by adam lancia » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:07 pm

TFOUR wrote:My problem with the one is that as long as Rod technology gets better even if you think you have the one now, in 5-7 years it won't be good enough. Even if the old rod did everything great.
It's only a problem if you don't like purchasing new rods every once in a while \:D/

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:21 pm

im going to cheat and cover spinning and casting

NRX 852s
GLX MBR 783c

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:36 am

adam lancia wrote:
TFOUR wrote:My problem with the one is that as long as Rod technology gets better even if you think you have the one now, in 5-7 years it won't be good enough. Even if the old rod did everything great.
It's only a problem if you don't like purchasing new rods every once in a while \:D/

I'm not sure this is a very big problem. Let me explain in tennis racket terms. In roughly 1990, Wilson came out with a very powerful and light tennis racket that upped the game. I think it was called the Profile. Over the following 5 years, many big brands followed. My last racket was in 1993 with a pair of Head rackets. In 2012 my son became very interested in the sport and to my amazement, I found rackets were 40% cheaper and a bit heavier then 1993 not taking into account inflation. I asked what happened??? Two things were the reply. (1) the industry found rackets can be too light and (2) everyone caught up in material composition. Once this happened prices dropped vs. even 1993 standards.

For fishing, I think light weight know-how emerged in roughly 2004. Since that time, I see low cost rods catching up on materials at times but that the top end is not blowing away the competition. A game changer is always on the horizon but so far I don't see it. You can literally buy many 4.2oz rods of great nice quality in 2016 from $100 to $600. The difference from $100 to $600 is often in the eyes of the beholder.

Bling seems to be a bigger and more proven differentiator in rods in 2016.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:48 pm

I've never found the "perfect" spinnerbait rod, and now use the Loomis SBR812C. A friend of mine was looking for a specific rod, never found what he wanted and got into building rods. He now uses St Croix blanks and builds them himself.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:00 am

BigAl23 wrote:I've never found the "perfect" spinnerbait rod, and now use the Loomis SBR812C. A friend of mine was looking for a specific rod, never found what he wanted and got into building rods. He now uses St Croix blanks and builds them himself.
I've always had a premonition that the brsc-69H is the 'perfect' all purpose spinnerbait rod.
Other than the specs, I can't really say why... just a strong gut feeling. For dedicated close range spinnerbait work I'd probably give the brsc-66mh the nod, for its shorter length & faster action. I actually prefer a 6'6 for spinnerbaits but the extra length is a blessing for the occasional long range situations, like working em over a long grass bed, or dropping it on the far side of an isolated flat.
http://www.plat.co.jp/english/daiko/Burroughs/top.htm