Are older Megabass rods still worth it?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Are older Megabass rods still worth it?

Post by silversix » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:06 am

I'm kinda interested to try an older Megabass rod. Models that were released prior to 2007. How do they fare for today standards? Are they "still" sensitive enough? Weren't they a little bit too heavy? The two models i have my eyes on is the F5.1/2-68 Xti Diablo and the F5 1/2-68XFti Diablo. Thanks.
Last edited by silversix on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Are older MB rods worth it nowdays?

Post by DaisyZillion » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:30 am

I would say yes mate, I haven't had that particular model but I do have a Jabberwock F468x and love it as much as my Orochi x and xx rods, they've always been quality! I also had and Orochi "Emilia" 68 that I regret selling! Beautiful rod.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:08 am

did some research and it looks like a lot of people are praising the the Xfti because of its full titanium reinforcement but barely see anyone ever mention the Xti. Is there a significant difference and the Xfti is the way to go?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:19 am

I have the XTi Slant Bridge. Great rod, love the taper. Also like the cork vs the EVA on the XFTi. I use it for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and swimjigs. Sensitivity is just fine.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 am

Good to hear. Sensitivity is what i was the most worried about.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:59 am

Its not a NRX, X7 or Ultima, but its no slouch.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:08 am

Small update. Received the rod today, looks spectacular, i wasn't expecting it to look this good in person (lucky to get one like NIB too). The model i got is the f5 1/2 68XTi. From what i've read, the XTi is supposed to have the titanium wiring but only in the butt section, right? I'm asking because the one i have is full titanium so i'm not sure if i've misread or what. Haven't used the rod yet but the tip sure doesn't feel like a Moderate/Fast, more like a Fast than anything else.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:40 am

I had both the Xti and the Xfti and could not tell any perceivable difference in sensitivity. Pretty much the exact same rod, and that is how I understood it is the titanium just didn't go as far up the rod on the Xti. Not sure how much the titanium has to do with anything as its a high end graphite rod with or without it.

And yes cosmetically the older model Megabass rods are in my opinion much nicer. Both in appearance and styling and how the older models often had their own custom reel seats that perfectly matched the rods instead of the standard black reel seats the current ones have. And performance wise they were still right up there with today's best rods.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:21 am

I just picked up a Diablo stage 2 xti that was absolutely mint a month ago and I really love the looks of the rod. I have never been wild about Eva handles but for some reason this one doesn't bother me as much. I threw a spook, square bill and a spinnerbait around with it. It really loads well when casting however only caught a few fish with it so far. I have not tried pitching w it yet but intend to if I can ever get my xx pp out of my hand.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:55 am

In the first pic (the rod's model), it says Xti but when you unscrew the reel holder, it says Fti ](*,) . The rod was custom built into a 2pc and you can see the wiring going through the whole rod. Is the Xti supposed to be full titanium from the butt to the tip?

http://imgur.com/a/YI9cU
http://imgur.com/a/SAqqa

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:03 am

I am no expert but I thought the xti was just in the butt and xfti all the way. Maybe they misprinted the xti when it should of said xfti.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:20 am

Dustys60 wrote:I am no expert but I thought the xti was just in the butt and xfti all the way. Maybe they misprinted the xti when it should of said xfti.
This is exactly what i've been thinking. I mean, i can see the wiring through the whole thing :shock: . Also, i fished it for couple of hours and caught a 9.8lb pike and a 8.3lb drum (with couple of small walleyes. no bass-.-). The way the rod loads when you have a fish is something i've never experienced before but TT mentioned it in the f5 1/2 68XFti SB review. When casting or ripping through grass, the tip feels like a Fast but when you have a fish it becomes more of a parabolic bend. Love it!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:31 am

I have a mb f51/2 xti paired with a alphas sv, and 12lb invizx. I use it for 1/4 tubes, senkos, and smallish cranks. Love it.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:32 am

It's more sensitive than my buddies compile-x, at least 1/4oz t-rigs

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:40 am

sensitivity wise, which rod would the xti/xfti diablo's be comparable to? i have been using mine for the past two weeks and love everything about the rod (would've preferred if the rod was under 5oz, tho). I find it pretty sensitive but i've never owned a X7, an NRX, the Ultima etc. Say compared to the poison adrena, how does it fare?