Dobyns DX 702c

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Dobyns DX 702c

Post by jtgibso1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:37 am

anyone using the Dobyns DX HP 702c for weightless senkos/flukes?  i'd be using 15 or 20lb braid with it and i'm wondering if anyone uses the 2 power for weightless plastics and what your thoughts are on them.  

thanks in advance!

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Dobyns DX 702c

Post by civicrr » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:43 pm

I haven't used the 702C but I have used the DX742C (prior to HP series). Started with 12lb mono as the mainline for 5" weightless senkos texas (weedless) hooked. Rod loaded really well when casting. I was really able to bomb it out there. The problem was I wasn't consistently getting a good hookup. I was either missing the fish or loosing them near the boat.

I made the switch to 20lb braid with a leader & it instantly transformed the rod. It still had the long bomb cast but my hookup & landing ratio both went to basically 100%. It was incredibly fun rod to fish the 5" senko & regular size flukes on. I caught a ton of fish up to 7lbs. This is on the California Delta

Little caveat here. The 742C fishes about 1/2 power heavier/more powerfully than the 702C. The weight of a 5" senko or 'regular' fluke is a little too much IMO, for the 702C. I think 4" or smaller senkos & 'small' flukes would be a better fit for the 702C.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns DX 702c

Post by jtgibso1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:15 pm

civicrr wrote:I haven't used the 702C but I have used the DX742C (prior to HP series). Started with 12lb mono as the mainline for 5" weightless senkos texas (weedless) hooked. Rod loaded really well when casting. I was really able to bomb it out there. The problem was I wasn't consistently getting a good hookup. I was either missing the fish or loosing them near the boat.

I made the switch to 20lb braid with a leader & it instantly transformed the rod. It still had the long bomb cast but my hookup & landing ratio both went to basically 100%. It was incredibly fun rod to fish the 5" senko & regular size flukes on. I caught a ton of fish up to 7lbs. This is on the California Delta

Little caveat here. The 742C fishes about 1/2 power heavier/more powerfully than the 702C. The weight of a 5" senko or 'regular' fluke is a little too much IMO, for the 702C. I think 4" or smaller senkos & 'small' flukes would be a better fit for the 702C.
Thanks for the info!