Any rods beat out the kistler klx for the money?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any rods beat out the kistler klx for the money?

Post by Chode » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:20 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Chode wrote:i'd def go with the envy. i had a klx and sold it because of the taper. sensitivity is excellent on both rods but just couldn't get over the taper of the klx
IMO no. They are one of the lightest rods on the market, well built flawless blanks, clean build and you can get it built anyway you want. What didn't you like about the taper? :?

Jeff
too slow for my taste and it really affected my hookup ratio for some reason. couldn't believe the amount of fish i'd miss on that thing--to the point that it became comical. switched back to my envy, nrx, zillion, dx hp etc, 0 problems.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:22 am

The envy is not in the same league as the KLX, black or green. That is in my opinion. If you want a $100 rod then the Omen is a choice. If you want a light weight, really sensitive rod that catches fish and can afford the $200+ price, then the KLX is a great choice. You have a KLX and know how good they are. There are other good rods out there but, if you are happy with your Kistlers, why change? I honestly believe you will be disappointed with an Omen after using a Kistler KLX.

If you buy an Omen please come back to this thread and report on how you like it compared to the KLX.

Frank
Last edited by FrankW on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:50 am

I was very impressed with the alx zolo line

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:13 am

FrankW wrote:The envy is not in the same league as the KLX, black or green. That is in my opinion. If you want a $100 rod then the envy is a choice. If you want a light weight, really sensitive rod that catches fish and can afford the $200+ price, then the KLX is a great choice. You have a KLX and know how good they are. There are other good rods out there but, if you are happy with your Kistlers, why change? I honestly believe you will be disappointed with an envy after using a Kistler KLX.

If you buy an envy please come back to this thread and report on how you like it compared to the KLX.

Frank
Wow. Quite possibly the first time I've heard this. Y such dislike for the envy?

VegasNative
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VegasNative » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:27 am

FrankW wrote:The envy is not in the same league as the KLX, black or green. That is in my opinion. If you want a $100 rod then the envy is a choice. If you want a light weight, really sensitive rod that catches fish and can afford the $200+ price, then the KLX is a great choice. You have a KLX and know how good they are. There are other good rods out there but, if you are happy with your Kistlers, why change? I honestly believe you will be disappointed with an envy after using a Kistler KLX.

If you buy an envy please come back to this thread and report on how you like it compared to the KLX.

Frank
Pretty sure you are talking about the omen and not the envy .

Envy is in the same price range as the klx.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:31 am

VegasNative wrote:

Frank
Pretty sure you are talking about the omen and not the envy .

Envy is in the same price range as the klx.
if he's talking about the omen then i couldn't agree more. i reread what he wrote and missed that part when he said black or green so i hope he's talking about the omen

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 am

Frank
Obviously this person has never purchased an Envy or an Omen because anyone who has actually fished either rod knows that the Omens are $100 rods and the Envys are at the $200 price point. Cannot understand why folks bash products with no actual knowledge of what they are talking about. Yes, the KLX are nice rods at that price point but to say the Envys are "not in the same league" is absurd, opinion or not. And I have fished both KLX and Envys. To the OP, fish the Envy side by side vs the KLX and see for yourself - you won't want to buy another KLX.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:06 am

Chode wrote:
jwfflipper14 wrote:
Chode wrote:i'd def go with the envy. i had a klx and sold it because of the taper. sensitivity is excellent on both rods but just couldn't get over the taper of the klx
IMO no. They are one of the lightest rods on the market, well built flawless blanks, clean build and you can get it built anyway you want. What didn't you like about the taper? :?

Jeff
too slow for my taste and it really affected my hookup ratio for some reason. couldn't believe the amount of fish i'd miss on that thing--to the point that it became comical. switched back to my envy, nrx, zillion, dx hp etc, 0 problems.
The tapers did slow down from the extra fast ones that I have. But I have gotten use to the other blanks in the KLX family.

Chode thanks for your reply!

Jeff

RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Yes, sorry about that. I was talking about the Omen.

Frank

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:26 pm

The only Kistler Rod I own is a Z Bone. For sure a Top notch company w/rods built on quality blanks in the U.S. Trey is an awesome guy who will answer the phone and help you pick out the perfect rod.

In the price range of the KLX or slightly less...my favorite rods that I've used are the ALX ZOLO rods. Another company that builds rods in the U.S. with an owner (Alex) that will pick up the phone. I'd definitely give those a look if I were you.