Finesse baitcasting rod help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
dnullify
Angler
Angler

Finesse baitcasting rod help

Post by dnullify » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:46 am

Hey all, I want to take advantage of the various black friday sales. Can anyone help me narrow down my rod selection?

I'm looking for a rod for my Daiwa SV105. I'm gonna be running 10lb fluorocarbon, using it for mostly lightweight bottom contact single hook finesse.
I'm looking to throw Down to: 1/10 ned rig, 1/16-1/8 shakey head, 1/8 sinker small t-rigs (straight tail/ribbon tail worms), 3/32 neko rigged trick worms and up to: weightless super flukes and senkos.

This is what i'm looking at now. The screaming deal on the 13 envy black is really tempting but I've done very little research into 13 fishing's products. I also can't find much regarding the magnesium 2 Medium blank's sensitivity, and i'm not sure if I should be looking into a medium or medium light.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Finesse baitcasting rod help

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:34 am

I fish many of those same baits on an Alpahs SV (SV105) but I use two rods, Volkey 682L and 1610ML Zodias. I use the Volkey for for the BFS stuff, Ned rig, shakey head ect and the Zodias for the weightless salt impregnated plastics.

Out of the 4 rods listed I'd use the ML Envey. I don't own this rod but that 1/8-3/8 ratting looks like it would cover your applications.

dnullify
Angler
Angler

Post by dnullify » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:53 am

Do you know anything about 13 fishing quality control regarding the envy black series? I read some less than favorable stuff not too long ago and just plain steered clear from 13 fishing entirely. It seems that the envy is the higher end product though.

the kistler magnesium 2 comes in medium and med-light. med-light goes 1/16-3/8. i'm just not sure where the sweet spot is on these rods. If I understand correctly I should buy the rod that has the majority of my lures falling in the middle of the lure rating, not on either end of the rating.

the ned rig with the jighead is 7g (.24oz), the neko rig i've been throwing has been 8.3g (.29oz) total weight, and the heaviest i can think of throwing would be a 5" stick-o at 10.7 g (.38).

1/8-1/2 is 3.5-14.1 while 1/16-3/8 is 1.7-10.6. if the above is true best i can figure is either i'll have to switch to 4" stick-o's or heavier ned rigs/neko rigs, which is do-able.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:37 am

Are any of them really light enough to be considered "finesse" rods? Probably not.

Will you get away with throwing some lighter stuff with them? Likely.

If you re trying to achieve a true BFS outfit, none of them will do though.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:43 am

I have an sv105 spooled with 10# invizx and mounted on that Tatula 6101mxb and it's a killer little setup. Great for what you're looking for. I really like it for flick shakes on weighted hooks, neko rigs, finesse jigs, small t rigs, senkos and other weightless plastics. It's very light, perfectly balanced with that reel, and extremely sensitive to bites at the end of a long cast. It casts great up to about 1/2oz, has plenty of backbone to set those lighter wire hooks without danger of bending them or snapping your line. Plus, believe it or not, you can get into a little bit of light cover with it since it isn't a true bfs rod. That stinger tip really makes it veesatile rather than hindering its abilities.
This is the way.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:08 am

poisonokie wrote: That stinger tip really makes it veesatile rather than hindering its abilities.
When you say it's a stinger tip, is it an actual solid tip?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:25 am

adam lancia wrote:
poisonokie wrote: That stinger tip really makes it veesatile rather than hindering its abilities.
The tat 610M is a solid carbon tipped rod and is billed as a drop shot casting rod.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 9&start=15

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:02 pm

LowRange wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
The tat 610M is a solid carbon tipped rod and is billed as a drop shot casting rod.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 9&start=15
That's the exact thread I was trying to find, thanks!