10 foot rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 10 foot rods

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:41 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:...from what I've seen it takes time to place properly ...
You are thinking dry fly for trout , where a SUPER delicate presentation is needed. Potentially lots of false casting before a dry fly lands.
Now think of the time it takes to get a bait back to your reel after you have targeted a structure to hammer and are out of the kill zone once the bait is worked around the structure.
With a fly rod you can lift the bait out of the water and have it repeatedly hammering a laydown, rocks , pads ... without having to reel through the dead zone back to your reel to cast again. Bery much time saving.
You can also get very very (ultra finnesse) flies to big fish with big rigs... and be able to keep them pinned. With fly rods you are casting the line much more than the 'bait'.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:46 am

toporanger wrote:While I understand the concern of the longer rod and other anglers in the boat, I think the bass guys can figure out how to make it work as the muskie guys have been doing it for years. Landing fish can be a problem but I do it all the time with much larger fish then bass so I have no worries the normal bass angler can figure it out with a bit of practice.

Just for reference I fish with 2-3 people in my 17.5 fishhawk and at least 2 of the people are throwing 9 foot or longer rods and we never have issues until someone wants to launch a bait out of their "lane" or do a sidearm cast in the direction of the other fisherman. The only other time is when using big glide baits where you have to pull the rod along the water line towards another angler.
Yup. We fish three out of my 17' Smokercraft for muskie all the time and we all use 9' . Everyone needs to pay attention a bit more with baits close to a pound flying around . And everyone does.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:14 am

Mike and Pike wrote:
toporanger wrote:While I understand the concern of the longer rod and other anglers in the boat, I think the bass guys can figure out how to make it work as the muskie guys have been doing it for years. Landing fish can be a problem but I do it all the time with much larger fish then bass so I have no worries the normal bass angler can figure it out with a bit of practice.

Just for reference I fish with 2-3 people in my 17.5 fishhawk and at least 2 of the people are throwing 9 foot or longer rods and we never have issues until someone wants to launch a bait out of their "lane" or do a sidearm cast in the direction of the other fisherman. The only other time is when using big glide baits where you have to pull the rod along the water line towards another angler.
Yup. We fish three out of my 17' Smokercraft for muskie all the time and we all use 9' . Everyone needs to pay attention a bit more with baits close to a pound flying around . And everyone does.
I've found the key to safety when fishing three in my 17' boat is communication. A heads up when you're moving to another place in the boat is the secret for me. And talking about what and where is safe with each other before you start fishing.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:19 am

Skeet Reese announced on his Facebook page that he teamed up with Wright & McGill to develop several 10' rods. All the light reels everyone wants probably won't pair up well with the long rods.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:58 am

One of my team partners is a huge lefty and we can make it work if he is on the front deck to my left. I'm a smaller righty and I stay to the right. But, I like to have the shore on my left and he struggles to cast. 10 foot rods will probably compound the problem.
The worst part of 10 foot rods would be having to break them down every time that you make a run.
Ten foot rods are fun for Salmon when you have to take control of the fish in river current.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:40 pm

The worst part of 10 foot rods would be having to break them down every time that you make a run.

Hopefully it will bring back the idea of moving the consoles a few inches away from the gunnel so you can lay rods there again. I never did like boats that had the concoles flush with the edges. I currently dont have the issue as I dont have a dual console, if the passenger wants out of the wind..... they should buy a boat

Beboson
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Beboson » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Any a experience whit wright mcgill 10' crankbait model 3/4-2oz?
Are a good investment for work big deep crankbaits 8XD , 10XD and similars?
Thanks!

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:08 pm

These ten foot rods are perplexing to me. I can see the benefit of them, but they will be a hassle to actually handle when not fishing. The irony is that most japanese rods are barely 7' and they seem to get by ok.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Big-Bass wrote:It would be a lot cheaper to just buy a quality steelhead casting or spinning rod if going to 10'. Getting a 9' or even a 10' medium or medium heavy steelhead rod for big cranks would not be a bad option. After all, many of those steelhead casting rods are used for trolling cranks like wiggle/mag warts and flatfish. While they are not marketed for "bass" and the name may stray people away since they are for "salmon/steelhead," I would be willing to try one out. It's the same thing you find with some great spinning rods marked as "Walleye" rods. Cabala's makes one that is outstanding but many bass guys won't use it since it's not labeled to catch bass...as if the fish know!
agree =D> =D> =D>

Beboson
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Beboson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:54 am

Hi Guys, you think for people whit injurys or problems in arms, 10' crankbait rod are better for deep crankbaits and less resistance of traditional 7' to 8' rods?

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:18 am

Beboson wrote:Hi Guys, you think for people whit injurys or problems in arms, 10' crankbait rod are better for deep crankbaits and less resistance of traditional 7' to 8' rods?
I would think opposite. Assuming proper balance, there is no way around resistance. Further fulcrum = greater resistance.
PEACE

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:10 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Beboson wrote:Hi Guys, you think for people whit injurys or problems in arms, 10' crankbait rod are better for deep crankbaits and less resistance of traditional 7' to 8' rods?
I would think opposite. Assuming proper balance, there is no way around resistance. Further fulcrum = greater resistance.
Exactly
Many think that a longer rod gives them more leverage, not correct. The leverage advantage goes to the fish the longer the rod gets.

Beboson
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Beboson » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:37 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Exactly
Many think that a longer rod gives them more leverage, not correct. The leverage advantage goes to the fish the longer the rod gets.
Thanks Guys! I mistake and think more long, less resistance in arms. Thanks!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 am

I had the worries about an 8' rod I was field testing. Tried it for a couple different tactics but where it really shined was flippin' a jig and pig into lily pad pockets. Sensitive enough to feel the bite but powerful enough to move the bass out of the pads and into open water.
10' though? It remains to be seen!