NRX refresh ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRX refresh ?

Post by spookybaits » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:35 am

So does anyone know if shimano is actually bringing out New/redesigned/additional NRX's?

If they drop some full grip models with legit guides(ti/sic or better).... I'm gonna be flat broke this year. :doh:

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:56 am

Frosty wrote:
MardukFIN wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:IF I could build with an NRX blank, I would absolutely go custom.

I've personally never heard of another blank being more sensitive.
NFC MB 705 HM?
I've had a bunch of them the 705 is definitely the special blank in the series...the MB 805 HM is right behind it, it's more of a shakey head rod with the MB 705 being only slightly more powerful somewhere between an NRX 843 and 852. The MB 706 is almost the same blank, and is the blank Cal tested in the search for the one, according to NFC. It's almost the same blank but I've never owned it.

It's the closest material I've felt to NRX. In the higher powered blanks I haven't found a taper in HM that's as fast as I would like. And custom is definitely the way to go in my eyes, as I don't like the design of their edge rods.

I'm in the group with don't change the NRX. I love the blue wraps and split grip with cork. And the guide train is the best I've used for sensitivity.
I'd say the vast majority of nrx OWNERS wouldn't change a thing. For the ones that hate recoil guides, split grips and sub par balanced rods, I'd suggest to them a dobyns extreme hp with sub par sensitivity

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:57 am

Hennessy wrote: For the ones that hate recoil guides, split grips and sub par balanced rods, I'd suggest to them a dobyns extreme hp with sub par sensitivity
LMAO I cosign this

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Frosty wrote:
MardukFIN wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:IF I could build with an NRX blank, I would absolutely go custom.

I've personally never heard of another blank being more sensitive.
NFC MB 705 HM?
I've had a bunch of them the 705 is definitely the special blank in the series...the MB 805 HM is right behind it, it's more of a shakey head rod with the MB 705 being only slightly more powerful somewhere between an NRX 843 and 852. The MB 706 is almost the same blank, and is the blank Cal tested in the search for the one, according to NFC. It's almost the same blank but I've never owned it.

It's the closest material I've felt to NRX. In the higher powered blanks I haven't found a taper in HM that's as fast as I would like. And custom is definitely the way to go in my eyes, as I don't like the design of their edge rods.

I'm in the group with don't change the NRX. I love the blue wraps and split grip with cork. And the guide train is the best I've used for sensitivity.
How about Rainshadow Eternity 2, St. Croix SCV blanks, CTS MAg Elite or Phenix K2? Have you tested those? Planning to build all these some day to compare with NRX.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:37 pm

Had a build on all those but the CTS blanks. The mag elite blanks are the one blank I really really want to try. I've heard great things about them, but the dealers and the way they do business stateside makes them difficult to procure. And if there is one thing I've learned from all the customs it's hard to trust a company's line/lure ratings, it's so subjective. And since they design more saltwater stuff like Lamiglas I'm assuming they're overrated in terms of line/lure...but I don't know for sure.

Personally all of the others I tried were not really close to NRX feel, but that's my experience. I'm sure someone will tell you different. Hard to go wrong with any of those.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Frosty wrote:Had a build on all those but the CTS blanks. The mag elite blanks are the one blank I really really want to try. I've heard great things about them, but the dealers and the way they do business stateside makes them difficult to procure. And if there is one thing I've learned from all the customs it's hard to trust a company's line/lure ratings, it's so subjective. And since they design more saltwater stuff like Lamiglas I'm assuming they're overrated in terms of line/lure...but I don't know for sure.

Personally all of the others I tried were not really close to NRX feel, but that's my experience. I'm sure someone will tell you different. Hard to go wrong with any of those.
Thank you very much! I think those five are "best 5 common blanks available" at the moment. We have one company here in Finland, which makes CTF orders couple times a year. Price was quite cheap, just 220€ with custom coulour i want! 7' , MH, Fast

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:05 am

Yeah CTS has so many color options, that is pretty dope! I think I was going to get the raw carbon clear coat option when I was looking at them last year. If you get it I would love to hear a review on it.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Frosty wrote:Yeah CTS has so many color options, that is pretty dope! I think I was going to get the raw carbon clear coat option when I was looking at them last year. If you get it I would love to hear a review on it.

Yeah, sure! I wanted persimon colour, but it's only for glass blanks. Some metallic colour would be nice, ie aluminium or gold.

basscattrent
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by basscattrent » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:54 pm

PBP wrote:
paulito wrote:Praying for non recoil guides and a more balanced rod!!! Finger crossed! It would easily make me go full next lineup
same here.
And full cork handles :big grin: would be sweet.

basscattrent
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by basscattrent » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Black Haze wrote:
bigfruits wrote:
Hennessy wrote: And if anyone is worried about getting tired from lack of balance on 3 And 4 oz rods, I can get them 7 day free passes to my gym, that might help.
it doesnt matter how strong you are. an unbalanced rod is going to feel unbalanced from the first cast even for Dillon and Butch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItzslynRhwg
. Agree, bottom line is if your going to spent $500 for a rod it should be balanced, split grip or not....im guessing they will address the balance issue on the nrx with the longer rods this time around....... how about a 892, 855, and a 893.5 Nrx (if there could be such a thing)

how about a 892, 855, and a 893.5 Nrx (if there could be such a thing

That sure sounds good to me :big grin:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:17 am

basscattrent wrote:
Black Haze wrote:
bigfruits wrote:
Hennessy wrote: And if anyone is worried about getting tired from lack of balance on 3 And 4 oz rods, I can get them 7 day free passes to my gym, that might help.
it doesnt matter how strong you are. an unbalanced rod is going to feel unbalanced from the first cast even for Dillon and Butch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItzslynRhwg
. Agree, bottom line is if your going to spent $500 for a rod it should be balanced, split grip or not....im guessing they will address the balance issue on the nrx with the longer rods this time around....... how about a 892, 855, and a 893.5 Nrx (if there could be such a thing)

how about a 892, 855, and a 893.5 Nrx (if there could be such a thing

That sure sounds good to me :big grin:
I want an 851! :big grin:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:49 am

zodiak311 wrote:I want an 851! :big grin:
X2
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:56 am

ccass wrote:
X2
I would love some longer MBR's like 7'2" or 7'3" especially in the 3 and 4 powers. I prefer fast jig rods to ex-fast...I'm weird :lol:

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:15 am

Frosty wrote:
ccass wrote:
X2
I would love some longer MBR's like 7'2" or 7'3" especially in the 3 and 4 powers. I prefer fast jig rods to ex-fast...I'm weird :lol:
YES YES YESS! I am not a fan of ex-fast rods. fast or med-fast for me preeese

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:46 am

Someone posted this on another forum in a thread not directly on the topic...
Wait until ICAST this yr when Loomis brings out this rod that's gonna top the NRX in weight and sensitivity. Woops did I just say that?
Any thoughts on this?