Medium to Deep Cranking Rod Suggestions, 3/8 - 1 1/2oz range

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Medium to Deep Cranking Rod Suggestions, 3/8 - 1 1/2oz range

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:55 am

I'm looking to get a cranking rod primarily for medium to deep cranks. Since I kayak fish and am limited to 2 or 3 rods, it would see secondary use for larger trebled topwaters (IE Whopper Plopper 130 - 1 3/8oz) and smaller trebled swimbaits like the S Waver 168 (1 5/8oz).

This is sort of a continuation of my previous post and I'm looking at the Dobyns 706CB and Shimano Zodias 7'6 MH Glass. Both rods are rated 3/8 - 1 1/2oz. Looking to keep it around the $200 price point. Any other suggestions or comments on those rods for my intended purpose?

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Medium to Deep Cranking Rod Suggestions, 3/8 - 1 1/2oz range

Post by Bassfan22 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:15 am

I fish from a kayak as well. I had the Shimano Zodias 7'6 MH Glass paired with a lews bb1 pro great combo. I used the rod for mid to deep water crankbaits is a great rod. You can cast all day long and you won't wear out as much and it launches baits a mile. I sold it because I tied my pb a 6lbs bass and it felt like I hooked a 1lbs. I didn't know it was a big bass until I had it by my kayak. So for that reason I don't like glass rods. If you like glass rods for deep cranks this is the one to buy imo.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:30 am

Check out the Kistler Feel n Reel rods. I have the 7'6"H and it is a light (4.4oz) and powerful rod. Loads, launches and fights like a pure glass rod but has lots of grunt in the lower half of the rod. I love glass rods and have never been a fan of a composites until this one. I'm throwing 5/8 traps and 6XD's with it and it's plenty of rod to throw a 168 S Waver or 130 Plopper.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 am

Though I prefer a faster, more crisp tip for topwater, the tatula 721mhrb glass is awesome for med-deep cranks and steady retrieve topwaters like the whopper plopper. Also, keitech swim jigs are well within its wheelhouse, among other things.
This is the way.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:25 am

KlingerNOK wrote:Check out the Kistler Feel n Reel rods. I have the 7'6"H and it is a light (4.4oz) and powerful rod. Loads, launches and fights like a pure glass rod but has lots of grunt in the lower half of the rod. I love glass rods and have never been a fan of a composites until this one. I'm throwing 5/8 traps and 6XD's with it and it's plenty of rod to throw a 168 S Waver or 130 Plopper.
I was looking at their 7 and 7'3 Heavy on TW but I see the line is rated 15-20lb. I'll mostly be using 12lb fluoro for cranks. I'd upsize for whopper plopper and s waver but that line rating scared me away from the rod. Can you still throw 3/8oz with it? I plan to still use things like a 3/8oz wiggle wart with the rod which is why I listed the weight range 3/8 - 1 1/2oz.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:30 am

Bassfan22 wrote:I fish from a kayak as well. I had the Shimano Zodias 7'6 MH Glass paired with a lews bb1 pro great combo. I used the rod for mid to deep water crankbaits is a great rod. You can cast all day long and you won't wear out as much and it launches baits a mile. I sold it because I tied my pb a 6lbs bass and it felt like I hooked a 1lbs. I didn't know it was a big bass until I had it by my kayak. So for that reason I don't like glass rods. If you like glass rods for deep cranks this is the one to buy imo.
Are you saying the 6lb bass felt like a 1lber because of a lack of sensitivity, or because of the heavier action of the rod? What did you end up going with in it's place?

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:53 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Bassfan22 wrote:I fish from a kayak as well. I had the Shimano Zodias 7'6 MH Glass paired with a lews bb1 pro great combo. I used the rod for mid to deep water crankbaits is a great rod. You can cast all day long and you won't wear out as much and it launches baits a mile. I sold it because I tied my pb a 6lbs bass and it felt like I hooked a 1lbs. I didn't know it was a big bass until I had it by my kayak. So for that reason I don't like glass rods. If you like glass rods for deep cranks this is the one to buy imo.
Are you saying the 6lb bass felt like a 1lber because of a lack of sensitivity, or because of the heavier action of the rod? What did you end up going with in it's place?
Glass rods lack sensitivity. I like to fight the fish and I just didn't like the feel of glass. I bought a megabass F5-71 XBJ deep cranking slow rolling. Bought it on sale. I haven't fished it yet will see this summer. I don't like long rods from a kayak. If this one doesn't work out like I want to then Ill try Dobyns 706CB. Good luck

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:24 am

Never fished with a rod longer than 7', so unsure of how I will like the 7'6. I've also never fished a glass rod. I'm trying to get more into crankbait fishing this year so that's fueling this purchase. I have a 704CB that's my jerkbait rod and I love. I also use it for shallow cranks. It still has a good landing ratio with the cranks but I've lost a fish here or there.

If I end up with the 706CB I'll let you know how I like it. Can anyone who has fished that rod chime in here?

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:19 am

I don't know if you're ok with an 8' rod in the kayak or not, but if so, I'd seriously consider the Dobyns 805 CB RM. That rod is great for me with everything from DT-10s up to 10XDs. It would do great with a Whopper Plopper 138 as well. I don't think it would be very comfortable from a kayak trying to work something like a big spook tip down, but otherwise, it's amazing.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
KlingerNOK wrote:Check out the Kistler Feel n Reel rods. I have the 7'6"H and it is a light (4.4oz) and powerful rod. Loads, launches and fights like a pure glass rod but has lots of grunt in the lower half of the rod. I love glass rods and have never been a fan of a composites until this one. I'm throwing 5/8 traps and 6XD's with it and it's plenty of rod to throw a 168 S Waver or 130 Plopper.
I was looking at their 7 and 7'3 Heavy on TW but I see the line is rated 15-20lb. I'll mostly be using 12lb fluoro for cranks. I'd upsize for whopper plopper and s waver but that line rating scared me away from the rod. Can you still throw 3/8oz with it? I plan to still use things like a 3/8oz wiggle wart with the rod which is why I listed the weight range 3/8 - 1 1/2oz.
I'm using 12lb Invizx on my 7'6"H, but I've only had it out for 6-7 trips so far and have only thrown a Rattlin Vibe, 6XD and DD22 on it. It flings the Rattlin Vibe great, but I believe it's 5/8oz. I might try something lighter if I remember this evening. I have some lighter action Seekers that I usually use for cranks like a wart.
The light weight of the Feel N Reel rod really surprised me. 4.4oz versus 5.85oz for a 7'7"M Tatula-glass rod that isn't near as powerful. The 7'2"MH Tat Glass is 5.24oz and has a nice action to it- it's just noticeably so much heavier in hand.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:11 pm

This one...Not too many know about the Zillion Glass comes in a 7-2" and a 8 footer.

They can be had for sub $200 if you look hard enough.

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-zil72 ... t-rod.html

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-zil80 ... t-rod.html