Should I get 872s or 902s NRX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Should I get 872s or 902s NRX

Post by DrPerf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am

Finishing finesse plastics, with bottom contact, I have had no problem controlling/boating numerous 5 and 6 lb. largemouths, as well as my previous PB of 7.98 and new PB of 10.82 using my 902S, so if it is a noodle, pretty darn effective "noodle".

Purchased mine a couple of years ago on the recommendation of one of the better "sticks" in my club. Never looked back.

Doc

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:48 am

Yes, and the same can be done on float n fly rods. I'm not saying it's ineffective. I'm just saying it is a very soft rod. I like a rod that stays stiff when i try to move the bait. I can just feel the bottom better. Its all personal preference. I was just trying to give the op some insight. When i used it for anything around 1/8th oz I felt like i would pick up and the tip would just bend instead of moving the bait.
Something like the 842 or 852 - while rated similar will move the same bait without a lot of bend in the tip.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 am

arrowslinger1 wrote:Yes, and the same can be done on float n fly rods. I'm not saying it's ineffective. I'm just saying it is a very soft rod. I like a rod that stays stiff when i try to move the bait. I can just feel the bottom better. Its all personal preference. I was just trying to give the op some insight. When i used it for anything around 1/8th oz I felt like i would pick up and the tip would just bend instead of moving the bait.
Something like the 842 or 852 - while rated similar will move the same bait without a lot of bend in the tip.
I do like a rod stays stiff and sensitive too when I do the presentation and I also like to land the fish fast

To be honest with you, at one time I couldn't even land a 3lber jungle hampala in a shallow heavy cover with 852C + Px68 type R and it was stuck :crying: :crying: :crying: but managed to get it out ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ... Maybe I am just an old man :( :( :(

I do love 852C and that's why i am still confused which spinning rod should I go, 852S, 872S, discontinued 902S or just Conquest 842S??? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Afraid of getting expensive 7'6" long rod, so I ordered a cheaper rod; the Legend Elite from local tackle shop and it will come in 2 or 3 months time [-o< [-o< [-o< i do hope it is not a very very soft tip.

WW

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Not disputing your experience, mine is just different, which is why there are a wide selection of rods. It's all good :)

I use the NRX 852C for small to moderate Keitech paddletails, Fat Ika, and larger worms such as the 6.8" Jackall Flick Shake. So, if the 852S is comparable in performance, if would be a good choice.

Doc

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:06 pm

842 852 872 902 822 they each have there own purpose.

Hard to beat 842 and 852 action for versatility though

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 pm

wirinhar wrote:
arrowslinger1 wrote:Yes, and the same can be done on float n fly rods. I'm not saying it's ineffective. I'm just saying it is a very soft rod. I like a rod that stays stiff when i try to move the bait. I can just feel the bottom better. Its all personal preference. I was just trying to give the op some insight. When i used it for anything around 1/8th oz I felt like i would pick up and the tip would just bend instead of moving the bait.
I do like a rod stays stiff and sensitive too when I do the presentation and I also like to land the fish fast

To be honest with you, at one time I couldn't even land a 3lber jungle hampala in a shallow heavy cover with 852C + Px68 type R and it was stuck :crying: :crying: :crying: but managed to get it out ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ... Maybe I am just an old man :( :( :(

I do love 852C and that's why i am still confused which spinning rod should I go, 852S, 872S, discontinued 902S or just Conquest 842S??? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Afraid of getting expensive 7'6" long rod, so I ordered a cheaper rod; the Legend Elite from local tackle shop and it will come in 2 or 3 months time [-o< [-o< [-o< i do hope it is not a very very soft tip.

WW
Did you get the 7'6" Medium/Fast Legend elite?

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:17 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
wirinhar wrote:

WW
Did you get the 7'6" Medium/Fast Legend elite?
Yeap... That's the one \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Also thanks to Doc and Cndbasshunter for great infos.

WW

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:52 am

The 902S is discontinued and good luck finding one, let alone getting it replaced via warranty, if needed. Loomis discontinuing almost all the light, fast action models really bothered me(901S, 902S, 842S, 842C, & 843C). I was using NRX’s for about 4 years on walleye primarily, though...

I offed all of my NRX’s recently for a net gain over what I paid for them. Just couldn’t get past them getting rid of all those fast action models. They were amazing. St.Croix picked up my business with the Legend Elite line. At least they stay consistent with offering the same actions (and plenty of fast actions!) as they evolve their product lines. I’m not saying I dislike the NRX or Loomis, either! The NRX’s were the most special rods I’ve ever fished. I still have MANY G.Loomis salmon and steelhead models, too. I just can’t justify hanging on to discontinued models only to have to search for something new when mean ‘ol Mr. Catastrophe sneaks up and hoses me on a discontinued model that I can’t replace a newer/better model of the same length and action.

I would be looking at the 902S Conquest, if I was serious about a 902 Loomis model... I guess I’m a little salty about no 901S Conquest the most. So, St. Croix to the rescue!