First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

Post by domthewon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Valdivia Is the one to me. I own 18 destroyers from all different generations and have sold or traded many others. It's well balanced, a stout build, awesome double footed guides all the way it just feels like it was built to last. I love the taper and the tip this rod has especially for bottom contact. It is fast to me very similar to the X7 extreme mission's tip could be xfast to some others, but then it tapers into a medium fast once a good fish gets nailed on a hookset and it pins them good with a smooth transition. To me the power of this rod starts off feeling around 5 1/2- 6 power and tapers into a 7+ power in the meat of the backbone a lot lighter than some other 7 power rods from Megabass at the beginning of the power curve. It's very sensitive in my hands, and it's great for hopping, dragging, pitching, skipping jigs and texas rigs. I tried 3/8 tungsten +4" plastic and 1/2, and 3/4 jig w/ trailer on 14lb sniper fc all no problems, performed great, excellent bite detection, and since megabass said it was a frog rod I had to try it using a reel w 50lb braid. It walked the frog much better than expected, poppers pretty well, and walking baits like giant dog x OK . It's too long of a frog or topwater rod for me, and I have many better options for those type of baits, but it work's very well if you prefer to use a longer rod. To me it should have been marketed as a bottom contact rod cause it's bas a$$ at what it can do. Overall Valdivia fits perfect in my current lineup. It's a real fun rod to fish definitely not a board, and has one of my favorite tips they have put on ANY rod. I'm definitely interested in checking out the Warhammer next as a punch rod.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:19 am

papabassin wrote:
The FMJ just might be my new favorite rod. WOW, what a blast to fish.

I could also see it being a nice choice for bigger spinnerbaits and even a nice frog rod in open water.
Curse you, papabassin! Was about 75% sure i'd end up getting the FMJ and Daemos but your review sped up the process and I ordered both from The Tackle Trap - thanks, Gary!

Im happy with the FMJ being just a jig rod but the possibility of frogs is fantastic as i make do with an old GLX MBR 844. Im also going to try a 1oz hard swimbait on it with nylon line to see how handles until i find a 6ish power light swimbait rod i like. (is the XX Tour Versatile too fast?)

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:17 am

bigfruits wrote: 6ish power light swimbait rod i like
I'm sure you don't need help spending more money, but see if Gary can find you a BJ Power Versatile. :big grin:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:38 am

CGrinder wrote:
bigfruits wrote: 6ish power light swimbait rod i like
I'm sure you don't need help spending more money, but see if Gary can find you a BJ Power Versatile. :big grin:
Great news on the Power Versatile, more are on their way to The Tackle Trap, finally! Great rod Z, be happy to tell you more about it if it's of interest.

I'm glad to see so many folks happy with the new US Destroyer models! I'm a long time fan of Megabass rods and am very impressed with this series top to bottom all things considered. TTT has a nice re-stock order on the way, feel free to get in touch if anyone needs one not in stock at the moment.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Wait till you guys play with the Onager, I can't believe it is a 4-8oz swimbait rod, it is so dang light, and balanced.

My next rod will be a toss up between the FMJ or Onager.
:big grin:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:07 pm

bronzefly wrote: Great news on the Power Versatile, more are on their way to The Tackle Trap, finally! Great rod Z, be happy to tell you more about it if it's of interest.
i actually bought one from you late last year. i never got it on the water as it was a little too much for my fresh water needs. the plan was occasional use for LMB and 4 or 5 trips a year for salt water striper and bluefish but i am probably moving inland later this year so it was traded.

i think something mod fast maxing out at 1.5oz would be ideal at the 1oz range and if it can handle a 1.5oz bullshad in a pinch it would be nice although not required. ive looked at some dobyn's stuff but a MB would be nice.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:45 pm

bigfruits wrote:i think something mod fast maxing out at 1.5oz would be ideal at the 1oz range and if it can handle a 1.5oz bullshad in a pinch it would be nice although not required. ive looked at some dobyn's stuff but a MB would be nice.
Ah yes, I overlooked that.

However, Hyuga 72H is an excellent option for you. In interest of non-post derailment, we'll discuss that elsewhere.
zodiak311 wrote:Wait till you guys play with the Onager, I can't believe it is a 4-8oz swimbait rod, it is so dang light, and balanced.

My next rod will be a toss up between the FMJ or Onager.
:big grin:
I've been a big bait chucker for years and have fished a bunch of nice big bait rods, the Onager is the best overall feeling big bait rod I've ever fished. I have a Z200HL on mine and have been tossing some 4 oz hard baits with it and like you, I can't believe how light and balanced this rod fishes. It's really sensitive fishing a Hudd too in the little time I had to throw the 8" with the Onager.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:53 am

what the reel seat on these rods? i apologize if it's further back in this thread. it looks similar to daiwa seats.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:02 am

domthewon wrote:Valdivia Is the one to me. I own 18 destroyers from all different generations and have sold or traded many others. It's well balanced, a stout build, awesome double footed guides all the way it just feels like it was built to last. I love the taper and the tip this rod has especially for bottom contact. It is fast to me very similar to the X7 extreme mission's tip could be xfast to some others, but then it tapers into a medium fast once a good fish gets nailed on a hookset and it pins them good with a smooth transition. To me the power of this rod starts off feeling around 5 1/2- 6 power and tapers into a 7+ power in the meat of the backbone a lot lighter than some other 7 power rods from Megabass at the beginning of the power curve. It's very sensitive in my hands, and it's great for hopping, dragging, pitching, skipping jigs and texas rigs. I tried 3/8 tungsten +4" plastic and 1/2, and 3/4 jig w/ trailer on 14lb sniper fc all no problems, performed great, excellent bite detection, and since megabass said it was a frog rod I had to try it using a reel w 50lb braid. It walked the frog much better than expected, poppers pretty well, and walking baits like giant dog x OK . It's too long of a frog or topwater rod for me, and I have many better options for those type of baits, but it work's very well if you prefer to use a longer rod. To me it should have been marketed as a bottom contact rod cause it's bas a$$ at what it can do. Overall Valdivia fits perfect in my current lineup. It's a real fun rod to fish definitely not a board, and has one of my favorite tips they have put on ANY rod. I'm definitely interested in checking out the Warhammer next as a punch rod.

This is what I was hoping to hear. My initial thought is it was too long for a frog rod and too fast.

Gary - can you confirm that the Valdivia power curve softens up as it loads?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:34 am

Sorry if my review was a little confusing. I feel like the tip starts out softer and fast/xfast and stiffens under load becoming fast/medium fast. Hard to explain but some Megabass rods seem to have a taper that adjusts to the load it's put under and it makes them very good in my opinion for keeping fish pinned to the hooks, and makes them versatile. Here are a couple pics 1st should be under light load, while 2nd under a solid load. Also on the full load pic there are still 2 guides not shown along w/ the rest of the rod because it is completely straight the rest of the way to the handle. I hope the pics work again last one was my 1st. :lol:

[img]http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... e1.png/img]

[img]http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... cl.png/img]

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:49 am

domthewon wrote:Sorry if my review was a little confusing. I feel like the tip starts out softer and fast/xfast and stiffens under load becoming fast/medium fast. Hard to explain but some Megabass rods seem to have a taper that adjusts to the load it's put under and it makes them very good in my opinion for keeping fish pinned to the hooks, and makes them versatile. Here are a couple pics 1st should be under light load, while 2nd under a solid load. Also on the full load pic there are still 2 guides not shown along w/ the rest of the rod because it is completely straight the rest of the way to the handle. I hope the pics work again last one was my 1st. :lol:

[img]http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... e1.png/img]

[img]http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah1 ... cl.png/img]
You need a bracket after .png to get the pics to work

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:22 am

Let's try this again!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:47 am

2 more for ya! different angles heavy load.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 am

Jason Penn wrote:what the reel seat on these rods? i apologize if it's further back in this thread. it looks similar to daiwa seats.
It's a Megabass original reel seat. I'm picky about reel seats and this one works well for me.
Tokugawa wrote:
Gary - can you confirm that the Valdivia power curve softens up as it loads?
Yes, I've been able to stick a few good jig fish on the Valdiva now and it certainly transitions from XF/F tip to a deeper flexing mid section, classic Megabass multi-action taper in all it's glory :lol:

Nice pics of the flex dom, thanks for posting those =D>
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Agentboost
Angler
Angler

Post by Agentboost » Wed May 03, 2017 1:11 am

Damn, I knew it. Never to open this thread and read all it's contain! :-({|=

Anyone fish that Warhammer yet?