First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: First look at Megabass Destroyer USA rods

Post by BucketHunter » Fri May 26, 2017 7:46 am

Just got the first 4 into the shop. Slightly underwhelmed. I'll take the new GLX at this price point all day. Heavy in hand, tip heavy, and overpowered model for model. Reel seat seems wider than previous lines. That Oneten stick...what the heck. Maybe a Pointer 100 stick. Way too beefy compared to previous efforts.
I'll stick with my XX's at the price and try to get my hands on some xxx's soon.
Set hard and set often

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 am

BucketHunter wrote:Just got the first 4 into the shop. Slightly underwhelmed. I'll take the new GLX at this price point all day. Heavy in hand, tip heavy, and overpowered model for model. Reel seat seems wider than previous lines. That Oneten stick...what the heck. Maybe a Pointer 100 stick. Way too beefy compared to previous efforts.
I'll stick with my XX's at the price and try to get my hands on some xxx's soon.
To each their own, but I couldn't disagree more, and I have each model of the new Destroyer USA series and have fished them all. I've fished the 110 on the 110 Stick, it's excellent. The FMJ balances so much better than a comparable GLX is isn't even close. Put a reel on the GLX 855 JWR and the FMJ if anyone has any doubts about that as they're the closest comparable models. In terms of sensitivity, these new Destroyer rods are excellent, every bit as good and in some cases better than a comparable GLX. I'm taking nothing from new GLX as they are an excellent series. Fortunately, there are a lot of choices out there!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Fri May 26, 2017 8:52 am

We definitely live in the golden age of tackle. You can likely buy something you love off the rack, and if not, go custom.
I did find a soft spot for the Daemos eventually, like a shorter EMTF.
Set hard and set often

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 pm

hmmmmmm.....speaking of "draft picks" this series definitely has a couple of models on my board! soon I hope but I can't stop wheeling and dealing :laugh1:

KevinL
Angler
Angler

Post by KevinL » Fri May 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Gary,
What is your opinion of the Valdivia? I have been using mine for jigs and it is very sensitive in my hands.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Any thoughts on the Onager Gary?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat May 27, 2017 8:13 am

Just got the FMJ this morning and these sticks are beautiful! Haven't fished it yet, but here are some pics of balance point with a Tatula SV and handle length--about 10 3/4". One interesting thing to note is that the reel seat itself has less material behind the trigger than a Fuji seat. In the pic you can see how that translates when comparing handle length with a rod outfitted with a Fuji or other brand seat. For comparison, I have the FMJ alongside the XX Perfect Pitch.

As always, Gary and The Tackle Trap are the absolute best and can't thank him enough for the recommendation and getting this out to me!!
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG (56.25 KiB) Viewed 6779 times
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG (58.49 KiB) Viewed 6779 times

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 am

bronzefly, how are the powers and tapers of the FMJ and Valdivia when compared to an MBR844 or Steez frog rod?

Looking for a new jig rod and debating between the 2.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 am

ogrich31 wrote:bronzefly, how are the powers and tapers of the FMJ and Valdivia when compared to an MBR844 or Steez frog rod? Looking for a new jig rod and debating between the 2.
FMJ and Valdiva are both excellent jig rods. As pure "jig" rods I'd take either over the 844 GLX and XBD Frog Rod. Which one would depend on your personal preferences and intended types of jig fishing, etc. I'll be happy to discuss more if you like, you can email me at gary@tackletrap.com or send a PM here. They're in stock and ready to ship at The Tackle Trap of course.
KevinL wrote:Gary,
What is your opinion of the Valdivia? I have been using mine for jigs and it is very sensitive in my hands.
Agreed. I can't put the Valdiva down as I'm a jig fishing junkie. I've been using it for 3/4 oz, and finally had the opportunity to fish a 1 oz. FB jig in deep water and it's just awesome. Most of the spring, it's been a shallower water pitching rod, and it excelled there as well. Mine is paired with a Steez A and the combo is an absolute blast.
zodiak311 wrote:Any thoughts on the Onager Gary?
Out of all the big bait rods I've fished over the years, the Onager is the best balanced, most sensitive power rod I've used. I have a Z200HL on mine and have thrown everything from 2 to 6 oz hard baits and some big plastic baits up to an 8" Hudd and the rod is spectacular. The superb balance of the Onager helps reduce considerably the fatigue factor fishing big baits for extended periods of time.

Overall, as a long time Megabass fan, I feel like Megabass really did an excellent overall job with the new Destroyer USA line up. I'm glad to see so many others enjoying these great sticks too. Brad - you're welcome, thanks for posting your initial thoughts and photos of the FMJ. I hope you enjoy that, and you're right, it certainly won't be your last one 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks Gary, once I am ready, I will be in contact.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

KevinL
Angler
Angler

Post by KevinL » Wed May 31, 2017 4:49 pm

Gary, thank you for your reply.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:06 am

I can verify that the FMJ is quite a sensitive bottom contact stick! I gave it a thorough test, even trying it outside it's limits, and it's fantastic. High, muddy water made locating fish tough, but a couple wanted the Grand Siglett. Not ideal for a 1/4oz topwater, but the FMJ paired with a Tatula SV was giving me well enough distance and control to pop and jerk the bait. Very impressed!
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG (77.52 KiB) Viewed 6423 times

manmachine83
Angler
Angler

Post by manmachine83 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:11 pm

Question for XX and Destroyer FMJ owners - I currently own both the XX tour versatile and XX perfect pitch.
I'm wondering if the FMJ can take the place of either or both of these rods, power and action wise?
Or do the TV and PP still have a spot in your arsenals?
I was using the TV and PP for frogs and jigs.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:14 pm

manmachine83 wrote:Question for XX and Destroyer FMJ owners - I currently own both the XX tour versatile and XX perfect pitch.
I'm wondering if the FMJ can take the place of either or both of these rods, power and action wise?
Or do the TV and PP still have a spot in your arsenals?
I was using the TV and PP for frogs and jigs.
I have the XX PP and the Destroyer FMJ and both have a place. They both have power to spare, but vastly different tapers. Both can handle many of the same techniques, but the PP is probably slightly more versatile overall. The FMJ, however, is a lot more sensitive for bottom contact presentations. I'm very impressed with it in that area, but it can do other things if you want it to.

caltrew
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by caltrew » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

Looking to add a true 'big bait' rod to my arsenal and the F10-711X Onager looks to fit the bill.

For those who have one, have you found the 4-8oz rating to hold true? Im really looking for a rod to throw the likes of the Deps 250 SS and other 10'+ baits (6-8oz) and wanted to make sure that 6-7oz will comfortably fit in that 'sweet spot' for casting weight.

Currently plan to match with either a Conquest 300 or Tranx 300.

Any other thoughts are much appreciated!