Swim Jig Rod*

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Swim Jig Rod*

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:34 am

I'm sure this is a topic on here already, but ... I've found mixed reviews on preferred actions for swim jigs. I've always used a 7' - 7'3" MH/F. I've read that a MH/Moderate is a better rod action for the technique. Just curious as to what the masses are throwing for this technique and why ?

I have a 7'2 Tatula MH/F I recently purchased for skipping under docks and over hangs, but have yet to get it on the water.

Opinions?

WEBBY005383
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Swim Jig Rod*

Post by WEBBY005383 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 am

I think it depends on the line you use if you use flouro I like mh/f I used either my nrx 843 or glx 843 if you went with braid I could see how maybe moderate could be a player

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:43 am

That rod is perfect. It's not as moderate as you think. More mod-fast. I have the 711mhrb and the 721mhrb-g and both handle spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, swim jigs, squarebills, traps, and topwaters really well. The graphite rod is better with topwaters and the glass one is great for medium and even deep divers. Anyway, you found yourself one hell of a swim jig rod.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:44 am

That's a good point, too. I use mono on the 711mhrb and braid on the 721mhrb-g.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:47 am

Wait, i just noticed you said it was a fast action. The 7'2" medium heavy tatula is a Regular taper. Is it an elite series or XT model that you're talking about?
This is the way.

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ham Solo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:53 am

I throw swim jigs quite a bit and I've always preferred a 7' MH fast action. That's been the sweet spot for me.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:57 am

I use the same rods for swimbaits as I spinnerbaits. Mostly MF, but I don't think a fast action is to stiff for either. Unless you're having a problem with what you like, don't over think it. I like M/F actions for almost all applications except bottom contact.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:20 am

Ham Solo wrote:I throw swim jigs quite a bit and I've always preferred a 7' MH fast action. That's been the sweet spot for me.
+1

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Sorry, I do not get emails when people reply to my posts for some reason. Anyways, I it's just the regular Tatula 7'2 MH. I opted of paying high dollar for this technique specifically. I'm familiar with G Loomis rods myself, so given the nature of their blanks compared to the Tatula, I am hoping it is not too stiff. But, I usually am throwing 3/8-1/2oz skirted swim jigs and they come with some pretty meaty hooks. Also, I use flouro.

I'm going to take the rod out tomorrow and try it on a local pond. Things are warming up here in West Virginia so a swim jig might be producing.

Thanks for the responses.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:51 am

GotEmOutdoors wrote:Sorry, I do not get emails when people reply to my posts for some reason. Anyways, I it's just the regular Tatula 7'2 MH. I opted of paying high dollar for this technique specifically. I'm familiar with G Loomis rods myself, so given the nature of their blanks compared to the Tatula, I am hoping it is not too stiff. But, I usually am throwing 3/8-1/2oz skirted swim jigs and they come with some pretty meaty hooks. Also, I use flouro.

I'm going to take the rod out tomorrow and try it on a local pond. Things are warming up here in West Virginia so a swim jig might be producing.

Thanks for the responses.
Love the swimjig in the spring. Fish it slow and let it hit the bottom several times per cast.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:58 pm

I use the MB C40 Super Diablo II, 7' MH Mod-Fast. For swimjigs, spinnerbaits, and chatters that is my ideal length and action.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:52 am

I use a fast action rod and even an extra fast if I'm fishing a heavier swim jig in cover. You don't want a moderate rod when using anything with a weed guard, maybe a mod-fast in a heavy power rod but MH no, unless you are using straight braid.
Barlow's Tackle

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:24 am

I think the Diablo Spec R makes a phenomenal Swim Jig rod.
Set hard and set often

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:37 am

For me it depends on the swim jig's weedguard and hook thickness. I switch my MH cranking rod to a 7 or 8 speed with 15+ fluoro for light wire light weedguard swimjigs and have better results, I also use 40lb braid with that setup at times. Heavier style swimjigs I use a 7' + medium heavy to heavy fast action with 17+ fluoro. Most of my fast tipped rods are upper level Abu's and they are VERY stiff.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:59 am

smalljaw wrote:I use a fast action rod and even an extra fast if I'm fishing a heavier swim jig in cover. You don't want a moderate rod when using anything with a weed guard, maybe a mod-fast in a heavy power rod but MH no, unless you are using straight braid.
I use Dirty Jigs California swimjigs with my C40 on 15lb fluoro without a hookup issue...even in heavy cover. If I only fished heavy cover I might step it up to a H rod.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm