Dobyns rod help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Dobyns rod help

Post by reelblues » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:17 pm

I bought a couple of Dobyns crankbait rods and really like them. I want to try a couple regular rods in their Champion series. I was thinking of getting a 3 power 6'8" or 7' and was wondering if the actions were comparable to the old Powell Max or maybe the Loomis old IMX. I think I have read somewhere that they felt a power lighter than other rods in that range. Trying to find something like the 683 or 703 old Powell Max.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns rod help

Post by Randingo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:25 am

You'll want to hear from someone with experience with the specific rods you're talking about, but no way are Dobyns rods a power--or even half a power--lighter than brands like Powell and Loomis. First of all, don't forget that Gary Dobyns set up the power system at Powell before he started making his own rods. Here's what I can tell you: my DX784 has plenty enough power to exceed its lure weight ratings, functioning well with a-rigs with 1/4 ounce heads and the big Whopper Plopper in addition to the football jigs and Carolina rigs I bought it to handle. The 805 CB easily handles 10XDs as well as the Fat Free Shads and DT 16s it's spec'd for, which means it's more powerful than a 5 power Loomis CBR. My only 3 power is DX 763S (which they no longer make), and it's correctly rated relative to other brands as well. My sense with the 5 Dobyns rods I own is that they perform the way he you'd expect a rod of thaw rated power to perform and also are comfortable beyond their stated range.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:40 am

You can e-mail or call Dobyn's rods directly also. Gary is real good about answering questions. He answers a lot of questions about Dobyn's rods on Westernbass.com also.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:33 pm

You'll find the Dobyns 3 power is very similar the Powell & GLoomis MBR series 3 power rods. Notice on the GLoomis, I specifically used the MBR series. The Dobyns Champion & Sierra series sticks have a fast action.

If we were to compare the Champion 703C or Sierra 703C to a GLoomis BCR853 (an x-fast action), I would say it feels like the BCR853 fished more powerfully because of the rod action.

BTW, something to keep in mind when reading old posts. The current generation of Extreme rods (Extreme HP) are slightly faster (action) than the previous generation (Extreme DX). IMO, the Extreme HP fish just a tiny bit more powerfully than the Extreme DX.