heracles leopard vs Dobyns 765 CB Glass

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

heracles leopard vs Dobyns 765 CB Glass

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:17 am

I have a Dobyns 765 CB glass rod that I am using as my chatterbait, spinnerbait, buzzbait rod. It is the perfect power and taper but I am looking for something with pretty much the same power and action but a bit shorter to be better suited for both target and distance casting. I could get the Dobyns 735 CB glass rod but the Heracles Leopard would match my red TDZ personal order perfectly so I was wondering if it would fish like a little shorter 765 DB glass or not.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: heracles leopard vs Dobyns 765 CB Glass

Post by evilcatfish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:24 am

Have you considered the new Evergreen USA Combat Stick series vs the Leopard? The RCSC73HG may be a good option and is definitely well priced. Obviously, the rod isn't out quite yet so there is no real feedback out there, but I'm looking forward to picking one up

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:59 pm

I don't like the camo pattern at all for a rod so I wouldn't consider one of the Combat Stick rods.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:24 am

hungry_cow wrote:I don't like the camo pattern at all for a rod so I wouldn't consider one of the Combat Stick rods.
You could always cover up the grips with shrink tubing? Just need a scissors and blow dryer

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Accu_Cul ... ACGSV.html

Can also be bought from Mud Hole and the other rod building suppliers, works quite well

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:35 pm

I've had and sold both the Leopard and Serval in the Heracles line from Evergreen. Being new to fishing, I jumped on the Brett Hite Chatterbait bandwagon.

I quickly sold the Leopard as I found it to be too heavy in both weight and power. To put my power comment into context, I caught a 10lb Pike on it one day and I couldn't even tell. I tried the Serval from the same line instead. Whilst I felt this was more suited to throwing 3/8oz and 1/2oz Chatterbaits, I ended up selling the Serval after trying the Dobyns 736 CB Glass. The reason being is that the rod just felt better balanced whilst providing the benefits of glass. I went with the 736 over 735 as I read on other forums, Gary Dobyns specifically designed the 736 for Chatterbaits.

On a final note, I don't think you can go wrong with the 735 however, I will also be trying the Evergreen HCSC-70MG Torquata 7 and Megabass Diablo Spec R before the 735 this year.

Have fun experimenting