Evergreen Brett Hite Combat Sticks

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Evergreen Brett Hite Combat Sticks

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:44 am

Look what came in late yesterday from Daiwa & Evergreen :)

Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Evergreen Brett Hite Combat Sticks

Post by evilcatfish » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:40 pm

I've been looking forward to these! Which models did you guys get?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:55 am

I put placed one on order then the date kept on getting pushed back and back and back. Well, I picked up a Daiwa Tatula Elite, the 7'1" spinning, worked out well. Based upon that, pivoted to Daiwa for a topwater rod, that was a bit too much and turned to Megabass Flat Side Special, another very good stick on first impression.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:01 am

evilcatfish wrote:I've been looking forward to these! Which models did you guys get?
Ahhh... don't recall the model numbers off hand, but the 7'3" glass cranking/chatterbait stick, a 7' topwater/jerkbait rod.. maybe 7'-1"? ... and a 7' jig and worm spinning rod. We were surprised these sticks came in full Evergreen rod sleeves. Nice touch for a $199 rod. Now it's time to get them in the lab and wrack them up before we get them out on the water.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:25 am

Cal wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:I've been looking forward to these! Which models did you guys get?
Ahhh... don't recall the model numbers off hand, but the 7'3" glass cranking/chatterbait stick, a 7' topwater/jerkbait rod.. maybe 7'-1"? ... and a 7' jig and worm spinning rod. We were surprised these sticks came in full Evergreen rod sleeves. Nice touch for a $199 rod. Now it's time to get them in the lab and wrack them up before we get them out on the water.
Make 'em cry for mercy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Well now it looks like the arrival of these has been pushed back to August...

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:39 am

Saw these in a tackle shop yesterday and they're nice sticks. Didn't handle the glass rods much, but they were beefy. And the 7'1" M and 7'3" H sticks were light, though the latter was juuuust slightly tip heavy despite having quite a long handle. Hoping the 2oz top end lure rating for the medium top water/jerk bait rod is a misprint because no way that soft tip candle that. Seem like nice JDM quality sticks for the price point. I'd consider one if they didn't have the ACS reel seat or the camo grips.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:07 am

MediumHeavy wrote:Saw these in a tackle shop yesterday and they're nice sticks. Didn't handle the glass rods much, but they were beefy. And the 7'1" M and 7'3" H sticks were light, though the latter was juuuust slightly tip heavy despite having quite a long handle. Hoping the 2oz top end lure rating for the medium top water/jerk bait rod is a misprint because no way that soft tip candle that. Seem like nice JDM quality sticks for the price point. I'd consider one if they didn't have the ACS reel seat or the camo grips.
Glad to hear these are now in stores, I was under the impression the release had been pushed back. I too am curious about the ratings on some of these rods as they are quite wide ranging. I've been considering the MH glass model as a spinner/chatter rod but am hoping to hear more feedback from folks before taking the plunge

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Will be interested to see how these rods hold up and the reviews to follow as they are out longer. Would also love to see another color scheme.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Just got the 7'3" heavy, it is very light, feels more Medium heavy than heavy. The build quality is very nice, very comfortable in hand, and the rod case is very nice. Good balance with a 13 metanium. Overall I am very impressed for the price

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:47 am

I just got the 7'3" Heavy Glass Model (decided MH wasn't gonna cut it) the other day. Its a beautiful rod and the build looks quite nice. Getting the er' out on the water for the first time this weekend and will report back with my findings.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Cal, are you going to review any other rods from this lineup?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:51 pm

I got to handle the 7'11" flippin stick earlier this afternoon and am actually very impressed with it. It feels light in hand and balances very well. The rod was finished perfectly as well. I'm very very tempted to buy one just to own it...hahaha

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 pm

I think I'm done reading reviews on here. My wife got some money on a scratch off and let me have a guilty pleasure, so I ordered the Evergreen JackHammer 7'3" Glass rod. I have a Hammer Rod in a 6'9" H and I should have just got a longer model but I was really intrigued by the review it got here along with the look. Well after fishing with it for 2 hours I can honestly say that it is the nicest looking piece of garbage I ever purchased and was sent back this afternoon. How can anyone fish a rod that is THAT TIP HEAVY along with being heavy to begin with? I'd have to wear a wrist and elbow brace if I was going to use that rod for any length of time. I really, really think if you crapped in a box and put "made in Japan" on it a lot of guys would have no problem paying $100 for it. Seriously, I have an old Quantum Tour USA 7' H E-Glass rod that has the Lamiglas blank and I thought that was a heavy rod but being used for tip down presentations it is fine. I figured the review said the rod was tip heavy but the buttery feel more than made up for it, yeah, it looks awesome but fishing it is total junk, I don't think I'd pay $50 for it, totally unable to use it. Now to be fair the graphite rods may be different but I'll never get anything in that series again, I'm guessing they made a polished looking rod with a rod sleeve in order to charge $200 for it, and the best part of all this is I saw a lot of cheaper glass rods get roasted for how bad they are tip heavy yet this gets a pass, makes no sense. I'm sorry for the rant, I just want to know how the review can be so good on a rod that is literally the heaviest glass rod and most unbalanced that I ever picked up, I should have just gone with the Hammer and that is what I'll do when TW gets the rod back.
Barlow's Tackle

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm

smalljaw wrote:I think I'm done reading reviews on here. My wife got some money on a scratch off and let me have a guilty pleasure, so I ordered the Evergreen JackHammer 7'3" Glass rod. I have a Hammer Rod in a 6'9" H and I should have just got a longer model but I was really intrigued by the review it got here along with the look. Well after fishing with it for 2 hours I can honestly say that it is the nicest looking piece of garbage I ever purchased and was sent back this afternoon. How can anyone fish a rod that is THAT TIP HEAVY along with being heavy to begin with? I'd have to wear a wrist and elbow brace if I was going to use that rod for any length of time. I really, really think if you crapped in a box and put "made in Japan" on it a lot of guys would have no problem paying $100 for it. Seriously, I have an old Quantum Tour USA 7' H E-Glass rod that has the Lamiglas blank and I thought that was a heavy rod but being used for tip down presentations it is fine. I figured the review said the rod was tip heavy but the buttery feel more than made up for it, yeah, it looks awesome but fishing it is total junk, I don't think I'd pay $50 for it, totally unable to use it. Now to be fair the graphite rods may be different but I'll never get anything in that series again, I'm guessing they made a polished looking rod with a rod sleeve in order to charge $200 for it, and the best part of all this is I saw a lot of cheaper glass rods get roasted for how bad they are tip heavy yet this gets a pass, makes no sense. I'm sorry for the rant, I just want to know how the review can be so good on a rod that is literally the heaviest glass rod and most unbalanced that I ever picked up, I should have just gone with the Hammer and that is what I'll do when TW gets the rod back.
The Tackle Trap carries Hammer Rods.
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ath=78_809
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing