Top Water Rod question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Top Water Rod question

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 am

I have a St. Croix Avid MHM Cranking rod. I bought it for cranking, but over the last several years I have not cranked near as much as I thought I would. I hate to sell the rod as its still basically new, but it's sitting. I also do not want to sell it as it was the first higher end rod I ever bought. When I do crank, I like to use my Champion XP 736CB Glass.

My thought was to use it as a top water rod. Its got a good bit of flex with it. I've only used Fast action rods for topwater. Topwater is not a technique I use very much, but I am making a drive to use it more. Hence the questions about this rod.

I plan to use 12# Senshi with 90/110 WP's, Sammys and PopX's. Mainly treble hooked baits.

What's everyones opinion on this rod for this topwater?

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Top Water Rod question

Post by NormanD » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:48 am

There doesn't seem to be a very strong consensus about what the perfect topwater rod is. I don't have any experience with the St. Croix, but I do use G Loomis cranking rods for topwater and have been very pleased with both how they work the lure, mostly walking baits, super spooks and repoman late payment, and how they keep the fish buttoned up once they are hooked. I think you are going to have to see how the rod works for you and your style of fishing.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Just have to try it and see. For baits like what you're talking about from 3/8 to 1 oz I use a tatula 7'1" mhrb, which has a nice mod-fast taper, but is fairly stiff overall. It casts easily, works the bait great, and always gets a solid hook set. I hardly ever fail to land whatever strikes the bait. I'm patient, though, and make sure they have it, and then reel up and set the hooks pretty authoritatively.

For baits that are primarily kept moving, like whopper ploppers, the i-loud, wake baits, pompadours, etc, I prefer a softer glass composite rod, also a mh tatula in my case, and just lean in more when they strike and keep pressure on them. A more moderate graphite stick would fit the bill for this.

I've never fished the rod you're asking about, but it sounds to me like it falls more squarely in the latter category.

Also, I'd go heavier on your line since most of these baits cast so well, a larger diameter will float better, keeping your bait aloft, and lastly will minimize the risk of losing an expensive lure. FWIW, I use 16# super natural
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Also, you need some Ever Green in your life!
This is the way.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:25 am

I build two very different rods for topwater use. Shorter, stiffer, faster rods and longer, softer, moderate rods. Basically jig sticks and crankin' sticks.

What you've got would be ideal for many. And would be horrible for others. (like me) You'll have to try for yourself.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:48 am

1 of my favorites was the Megabass F2-57X - Reservoir Dog, a 5'7" rod. Perfect for smaller poppers and handled 1/2 oz walking baits like the Giant Dog X, Sammy or Zara Spook. I started using the Evergreen Pantera, a 6'2" rod, another shorter rod. Now I've been trying out longer rods because I'm fishing different lakes since my relocation.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:22 am

My favorite topwater rod for standard size lures (1/4-3/4oz) is a St. Croix 6'8 Medium Xtra fast. The fast tip helps set the hooks on a long cast but the medium action has enough bend to keep them pinned on the trebles. I was using a Dobyns 704CB for a while but I was losing fish due to not getting a strong enough hookset because of the parabolic taper.

I picked up a Dobyns 706CB this year for deep cranking and also larger topwaters like the deps buzzjet and whopper plopper 130. It has more backbone so I'm hoping it will work out alright. Topwater bite hasn't started yet where I am in the north.

I'm using 14lb trilene XL for my topwaters now.

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:09 am

rockchalk06 wrote:I have a St. Croix Avid MHM Cranking rod.
For me the AVC66MM and 66MHM (togetheter with PE) are nearly perfect for topwater application. The rod flexion let the baits walk in a very attractive way and you don't have a problem with a to early hooksetting.
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 am

I always liked shorter rods for shoreline 1/4 oz poppers. I bought a ' 11" X7 Super Elseil. Love this rod, moderate taper, but not soft. Still searching for an off shore topwater rod for larger walking the dog baits. Think I want a moderate fast tapered rod.

basscattrent
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by basscattrent » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:17 pm

I have used mine for topwater for years and it works great. I even throw a big super spook with it all the time because once they are on the rod is very forgiving. The rod is very strong even though it feels like a noodle stick when casting a big bait. I use it for buzzjets, big splash-it's keep it I have two and have them both set up for topwater. I use 65LB braid. I love this rod for treble hook baits but would not use a buzzbait.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Anyone use a Power Versatile?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 pm

goldrod wrote:Anyone use a Power Versatile?
It's a great frog rod.