Cranking rod or M or MH fast rod for throwing Topwater

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cranking rod or M or MH fast rod for throwing Topwater

Post by Rodster14 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:33 am

What is the better rod for throwing 1/2, 5/8 ounce Sammys, Gunfish, etc ? Do you any specific recommendations?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Cranking rod or M or MH fast rod for throwing Topwater

Post by Mattman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:37 am

That's personal preference.

I personally want a 6'6" fast or ex-fast rated up to 1/2 to 3/4 ounce lures on the high end.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:53 am

I will go for Fast or Ex Fast action for topwater.

M/MH power is where i cast at open water (not heavy vegetation)

Hope it helps.

WW

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:00 am

Loaded question for sure would love to help do you have any particular Rod choices in mind budget-minded or high-end? I would highly recommend anything from Powell or Dobyn's. Many choices between those rods and I've had experience with those brands really are amazing rods. Between those brands you should have everything covered and they have different choices lengthwise as well as your lure range looking for. Definitely could point you in the direction for Megabass, of course more folks should be able to chime in and give you a lot more ideas. Would help if you could tell us maybe length budget Etc..... I personally have several type MB rods that can easily be used for the full range of reaction type lures, relative to the weight of lure I am using. With the lures that you threw out there I would recommend something along the lines of a quarter to three quarter ounce range. Depending on your preferences fast or moderate to fast would be a good start my opinion. shoot I would even go with a lighter power rod if you are mainly going open TW. I have had great success with rods say in the 1/8 to 1/2oz, 1/8 to 3/8oz for open water or were vegetation isn't a factor. Just my elbow of an opinion to start ;)

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:13 pm

I throw my top water on the Ike delay series by Abu. The 7' for larger and the 6'4" for smaller. They handle them very well.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:34 pm

I use a 7ft Steez Fle-X-Lite or NRX 852, depends on what either rod has tied on.

I'm taller so the rod length doesn't bother me
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:58 am

1/2oz skitter pops and Sammy 115's are basically the only topwater hardbaits I throw. I use a 7MH st.croix 1-3/8oz. I'm not a fan of using the top of end of a rods lure rating. A longer rod will help for long cast and hooksets at the end of them. Never had issues with the tipdown rod motion for chugging or walking.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 am

Depends upon which category of topwater?
Popper
Chugger
Walker
Crazy walker
others

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:17 pm

1/2 walkers and spitting poppers (like Megabass PopMax or Gunsfish)

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:40 pm

If I have all the rods I 'want' on the boat, I'll use my Dobyns 705CB (MH power cranking) for those lures. I can use it for poppers 3/8oz (or heavier) and smaller walking baits like the Super Spook Jr or Gunfish 95. Lighter poppers (<3.8oz), I'll drop down to the 704CB (M power cranking).

Heavier walking baits like full size Super Spook, etc, I'll use the 734 (heavy power, fast action). The reason that the 734 works is that it has enough tip to keep the fish pinned. While I could, and have, use the 705CB, it seems like walking the heavier baits is more work than with the 734.

Using a 2 power, fast action rod (682C or 702C - med power, fast action) is also a good option for poppers. The fast action makes it nice to cast & work the baits. The rod also works well for ripbaits. The (relatively) light power allows the rod to flex deeply = forgiving for the small-ish treble hooks.

fishermun
Angler
Angler

Post by fishermun » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:48 pm

For what you're wanting to throw, a m/h xf would would be my choice. I use a NRX 853 for poppers and walking baits works great, you could also look at the NRX 854.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:31 am

fast action for sure to me. I've even got rods labeled as fast that are so slow that I can't walk the bait well. Cranking rods are a hard no for me.

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:20 am

I use the Ike Series 6'4" jerkbait special rod. It has a moderate action but is stiffer than your standard crankbait rod. I can throw a spook a mile with it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 pm

down4ttown wrote:I use the Ike Series 6'4" jerkbait special rod. It has a moderate action but is stiffer than your standard crankbait rod. I can throw a spook a mile with it.
See I feel that the Ike Delay rods are VERY soft. The 6'4" you mentioned like bends in half with minimal pressure. No way I would personally throw a larger spook on that, nice to know it can handle it though if necessary. Those are a very underrated rod line.

I use a St. Croix Avid X 6'6" Medium, fast for topwater with 30lb braid. I only use up to 1/2 lures though. Don't really have a rod for my larger topwaters right now, I've only got about 5 larger spook style lures and just never use them. If I were to buy a rod just for that though, squarebill rods seem to work well. Lew's makes a 6'9" MH, mf squarebill rod that flexes like a MH crank rod but shorter so perfect for bigger topwater lures. I'm not very tall, a 7'MH mod would work still though.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Poison glorious mighty stroke 6'11 m, amazing for pop max