Shakey Head Rod - Megabass Orochi XX or Dobyns Champion

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shakey Head Rod - Megabass Orochi XX or Dobyns Champion

Post by Poisson » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:19 am

I'm in the market for a spinning rod primarily for shakey heads (most often a 3/16 oz head). I have a couple of Dobyns rods that I really like so my first instinct is to go with the DC703SF, but I'm intrigued by the Megabass Orochi XX Shakey Head rod. Anybody have a strong opinion on those two rods, or another rod under $300 that I should consider?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shakey Head Rod - Megabass Orochi XX or Dobyns Champion

Post by Cristo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:21 am

I dont have experience with the eggbeater rods you described but you cannot really go wrong with your choices. I say get what makes you happy!! I believe many TTers will chime in to get you more pertinent Intel on your rods of choice to pick from. Good luck sir!

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:45 pm

You already own some Dobyns; so give the Megabass a try. I've got over 20 Dobyns rods and will be giving the 844 GLX and Destroyer FMJ a shot later this summer ;)

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:41 pm

I dont have any experience with Dobyns, but I do own that MB orochi XX shakey head rod and I love it. Its my go to spinning rod. Very versatile.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:37 pm

stingray23 wrote:I dont have any experience with Dobyns, but I do own that MB orochi XX shakey head rod and I love it. Its my go to spinning rod. Very versatile.
How's the backbone on that rod? I need something to flick around 1/8oz jigs but for reef fish that fight like bulldogs before breaking you off in the rocks.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:01 pm

I'd strongly suggest going with the Megabass XX Shakey Head over the Dobyns Champion in this case. I find the XX blanks to be noticeably more sensitive than comparable Champion blanks. The Shakey Head is also very versatile as others have mentioned.
reason162 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:I dont have any experience with Dobyns, but I do own that MB orochi XX shakey head rod and I love it. Its my go to spinning rod. Very versatile.
How's the backbone on that rod? I need something to flick around 1/8oz jigs but for reef fish that fight like bulldogs before breaking you off in the rocks.
It's backbone is what I'd consider close to a true medium power. You might need a true heavy powered spinning rod for that application :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:32 am

If your sticking with the Dobyns rods, I would go with the Champion Extreme HP DX 702SF Finesse. With the TT10 Tackle Tour Discount at Tackle Trap, you will be close to your $300.00 Budget. Otherwise, the Megabass XX Shakey Head seems like a fine choice.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:26 am

Unless your absolutely hell bent on buying something high end, save yourself some coin and grab the 7'1" ML Tatula. I have one and had the Megabass Orochi XX shakey head rod, there wasn't any difference in my hand between the two. Balance was the same as was sensitivity, crispness, and weight. I sold the Orochi.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:51 am

I'll have to echo Bronzefly on this one. I own a pile of Dobyns and one of the XX rods. For build quality and sensitivity, it is hands down going to the XX.

I have the 702sf XP Dobyns (replacement from breaking a Gen 2) and love it for what it is but the blank on the XX just has more sensitivity.

If you were comparing to a DX, it would be a tougher call but at the Champion line, it isn't even close.

Only downside is the Dobyns will have a better warranty.