Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Post Reply
chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am

Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by chreim20 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for a quality 2 piece rod and came across the Shimano Zodias. From what I see, they only sell them out of Japan, the 2 piece that is. I'm just looking for some info on the rod. Is the medium or medium heavy more of an all around rod? Does it split in two at the handle or is it more towards the middle of the rod? Like I said, any info, or suggestions of other 2 piece rods would be appreciated.

Thanks!

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:57 pm

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a 2 piece BFS rod. The Zodias splits in the middle as do most shorter 2 piece Jdm rods. I believe the Zodias has more Usdm traditional powers and tapers, so for an all around I'd probably opt for the medium. Here's a short list of alternatives.
Megabass Hyuga
Abu Garcia Hornet Stinger Plus
Tailwalk Backhoo Rise
Daiwa Cronos
Jackson Bastard
Major Craft - Go Emotion, Corzza, Volkey, Speedstyle
You can find most of these for around 200 dollars or less. All the models I listed are on eBay. I use a Shimano Jackall Poison Adrena medium heavy 2 piece for my all purpose travel rod. Outstanding rod with more traditional jdm power and taper, but also significantly more expensive. Each of the Jdm companies I listed also have a website. Good luck. No your head is about to spin. Let us know what you end up with.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by chreim20 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I'm in the same boat. Looking for a 2 piece BFS rod. The Zodias splits in the middle as do most shorter 2 piece Jdm rods. I believe the Zodias has more Usdm traditional powers and tapers, so for an all around I'd probably opt for the medium. Here's a short list of alternatives.
Megabass Hyuga
Abu Garcia Hornet Stinger Plus
Tailwalk Backhoo Rise
Daiwa Cronos
Jackson Bastard
Major Craft - Go Emotion, Corzza, Volkey, Speedstyle
You can find most of these for around 200 dollars or less. All the models I listed are on eBay. I use a Shimano Jackall Poison Adrena medium heavy 2 piece for my all purpose travel rod. Outstanding rod with more traditional jdm power and taper, but also significantly more expensive. Each of the Jdm companies I listed also have a website. Good luck. No your head is about to spin. Let us know what you end up with.
Thank you, good information for sure. I'm not familiar with the rods you mentioned, so I'll look into them. Hard to find a quality 2 piece rod in the US it seems. I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks again!

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Major Craft is very popular and well known for their build quality and craftsmanship.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by chreim20 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:11 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Major Craft is very popular and well known for their build quality and craftsmanship.
I think I'm going to try the major craft like you mentioned. They have several models, can you recommend one?

Thanks!

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 pm

chreim20 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Major Craft is very popular and well known for their build quality and craftsmanship.
I think I'm going to try the major craft like you mentioned. They have several models, can you recommend one?

Thanks!
Sure. What all will you be using it for?

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:03 am

You can find the MS-X 662m for around 230 bucks. This would make a good all around rod if it isn't too short. Great blank, Fuji Titanium Sic guides.
Moving baits I'd say 3/16 to 5/8 is about right for their medium power stuff.
Bottom contact, half ounce would be about tops, with 3/8 oz right in the wheelhouse.
They offer the same model in the Speedstyle. Fuji SS Sic guides. They also have a 682 medium heavy.
I had a 692 medium Corzza. Really good all purpose rod. Fuji SS sic guides and some of the nicest cork I've seen. The blank is average fair imo. I wasn't real impressed with the Go Emotion mode I had.
All Major Craft rods come with Fuji Acs reel seats, except the Speedstyle which utilizes the new Fuji Pts reel seat. I believe they roll their own blanks in their factory, but don't quote me on that. They utilize various grades of graphite from Mitsubishi and Toray. The build quality is 2nd to none. The rods are built with mid micro size guides. I'd purchase the rod from 1 of 2 places myself.
Ebay - Shimreels
Or
Rakuten Global Japan. It might be a little cheaper here, but shipping costs aren't calculated into the total as they are on Ebay. If you have any other questions, let me know.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by chreim20 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:You can find the MS-X 662m for around 230 bucks. This would make a good all around rod if it isn't too short. Great blank, Fuji Titanium Sic guides.
Moving baits I'd say 3/16 to 5/8 is about right for their medium power stuff.
Bottom contact, half ounce would be about tops, with 3/8 oz right in the wheelhouse.
They offer the same model in the Speedstyle. Fuji SS Sic guides. They also have a 682 medium heavy.
I had a 692 medium Corzza. Really good all purpose rod. Fuji SS sic guides and some of the nicest cork I've seen. The blank is average fair imo. I wasn't real impressed with the Go Emotion mode I had.
All Major Craft rods come with Fuji Acs reel seats, except the Speedstyle which utilizes the new Fuji Pts reel seat. I believe they roll their own blanks in their factory, but don't quote me on that. They utilize various grades of graphite from Mitsubishi and Toray. The build quality is 2nd to none. The rods are built with mid micro size guides. I'd purchase the rod from 1 of 2 places myself.
Ebay - Shimreels
Or
Rakuten Global Japan. It might be a little cheaper here, but shipping costs aren't calculated into the total as they are on Ebay. If you have any other questions, let me know.
Thank you for taking the time to give me all this information. I'm looking for an all around rod, something I can throw nearly all my lures, except ultra light and frogs/punching baits. Probably down to 1/4 ounce and up to 3/4 to 1 ounce, maybe.

I'm considering the ms-x, speedstyle, and corzza. I like the corrza looks and price, but is it not very sensitive?

Also, the medium heavy in these models are 1/4 ounce to 1 ounce, would this me a good all around or is it too heavy?

I'd like something that fishes like my G loomis imx 783c.

I go out of town a lot with my wife and kids and need a quality 2 piece rod to take with me. I prefer one piece, but when you want to fish and you travel in a camry, you need a 2 piece :lol:

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:41 pm

chreim20 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:You can find the MS-X 662m for around 230 bucks. This would make a good all around rod if it isn't too short. Great blank, Fuji Titanium Sic guides.
Moving baits I'd say 3/16 to 5/8 is about right for their medium power stuff.
Bottom contact, half ounce would be about tops, with 3/8 oz right in the wheelhouse.
They offer the same model in the Speedstyle. Fuji SS Sic guides. They also have a 682 medium heavy.
I had a 692 medium Corzza. Really good all purpose rod. Fuji SS sic guides and some of the nicest cork I've seen. The blank is average fair imo. I wasn't real impressed with the Go Emotion mode I had.
All Major Craft rods come with Fuji Acs reel seats, except the Speedstyle which utilizes the new Fuji Pts reel seat. I believe they roll their own blanks in their factory, but don't quote me on that. They utilize various grades of graphite from Mitsubishi and Toray. The build quality is 2nd to none. The rods are built with mid micro size guides. I'd purchase the rod from 1 of 2 places myself.
Ebay - Shimreels
Or
Rakuten Global Japan. It might be a little cheaper here, but shipping costs aren't calculated into the total as they are on Ebay. If you have any other questions, let me know.
Thank you for taking the time to give me all this information. I'm looking for an all around rod, something I can throw nearly all my lures, except ultra light and frogs/punching baits. Probably down to 1/4 ounce and up to 3/4 to 1 ounce, maybe.

I'm considering the ms-x, speedstyle, and corzza. I like the corrza looks and price, but is it not very sensitive?

Also, the medium heavy in these models are 1/4 ounce to 1 ounce, would this me a good all around or is it too heavy?

I'd like something that fishes like my G loomis imx 783c.

I go out of town a lot with my wife and kids and need a quality 2 piece rod to take with me. I prefer one piece, but when you want to fish and you travel in a camry, you need a 2 piece :lol:
You will want the medium heavy for those weights. Most Jdm companies rate their rods a little high opposed to typical American market rods. The medium will have less power than your 783. The actions / tapers will also be slower and softer to the 783. The Corzza is fine, but if you want IMX sensitivity, the MSX will be the closest thing MC has to offer. The Speedstyle is also very nice for the money.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Shimano Zodias 2 piece casting rods......Info please!

Post by chreim20 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:06 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
chreim20 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:You can find the MS-X 662m for around 230 bucks. This would make a good all around rod if it isn't too short. Great blank, Fuji Titanium Sic guides.
Moving baits I'd say 3/16 to 5/8 is about right for their medium power stuff.
Bottom contact, half ounce would be about tops, with 3/8 oz right in the wheelhouse.
They offer the same model in the Speedstyle. Fuji SS Sic guides. They also have a 682 medium heavy.
I had a 692 medium Corzza. Really good all purpose rod. Fuji SS sic guides and some of the nicest cork I've seen. The blank is average fair imo. I wasn't real impressed with the Go Emotion mode I had.
All Major Craft rods come with Fuji Acs reel seats, except the Speedstyle which utilizes the new Fuji Pts reel seat. I believe they roll their own blanks in their factory, but don't quote me on that. They utilize various grades of graphite from Mitsubishi and Toray. The build quality is 2nd to none. The rods are built with mid micro size guides. I'd purchase the rod from 1 of 2 places myself.
Ebay - Shimreels
Or
Rakuten Global Japan. It might be a little cheaper here, but shipping costs aren't calculated into the total as they are on Ebay. If you have any other questions, let me know.
Thank you for taking the time to give me all this information. I'm looking for an all around rod, something I can throw nearly all my lures, except ultra light and frogs/punching baits. Probably down to 1/4 ounce and up to 3/4 to 1 ounce, maybe.

I'm considering the ms-x, speedstyle, and corzza. I like the corrza looks and price, but is it not very sensitive?

Also, the medium heavy in these models are 1/4 ounce to 1 ounce, would this me a good all around or is it too heavy?

I'd like something that fishes like my G loomis imx 783c.

I go out of town a lot with my wife and kids and need a quality 2 piece rod to take with me. I prefer one piece, but when you want to fish and you travel in a camry, you need a 2 piece :lol:
You will want the medium heavy for those weights. Most Jdm companies rate their rods a little high opposed to typical American market rods. The medium will have less power than your 783. The actions / tapers will also be slower and softer to the 783. The Corzza is fine, but if you want IMX sensitivity, the MSX will be the closest thing MC has to offer. The Speedstyle is also very nice for the money.
Thanks again, I'm in the process now of looking for the right major craft rod. It will be a medium heavy and I look forward to posting pics on this thread so you can see it! Thanks again for your help! I really do appreciate it!

Post Reply