Abu Garcia Villian 2.0 or Daiwa Tatula Elite

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
burninbaits
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Abu Garcia Villian 2.0 or Daiwa Tatula Elite

Post by burninbaits » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 am

In the market for a dropshot rod. Can't decide between the two. I've got a few Daiwa rods in the Tatula and Zillion line up and love them both. Tough to decide without being able to get any on water time with either of the rods. Anyone make a suggestion based on handling of both rods? Looking for balance and sensitivity. Either the Abu Garcia Villian 2.0 6'10" ML F or the Daiwa Tatula Elite Erhler w/ the AGS guides or the Cody Meyer Dropshot rod. Not looking for any other brands at the moment.

Thanks,

David

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Abu Garcia Villian 2.0 or Daiwa Tatula Elite

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:48 am

I own 4 of the Abu Villain 2.0s. Abu has a great warranty system, and these new 2.0s are closer to other manufacturer's specs (they aren't so stiff like older generation Abu's). I have the 7'ML xf and its a great dropshot rod. It is a little softer than I expected though; never said that about an Abu rod before. I use mine for 1/8 and 3/16 dropshots, but normally nose hooked. I would rather have a slightly stiffer rod for texas rigged, like the roboworm style hooks and owner downshots. That being said, I think the model you mentioned might have a little more backbone/stronger tip. I do not know why, but I feel the xf designation on my rod is off. Its got a VERY deep flex. Great rod though.

burninbaits
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by burninbaits » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey thanks DirtyD. It's not the first time hearing that theY have gotten softer. I quickly sold my Abu Veritas bcuz it was so stiff. I'm used to softer blank/tip and love it as it helps keep fish buttoned down better. So hard blindly trying to buy rods.

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:11 pm

I won the villain (4 as well) and 4 of the Fantasista and the villain is easily as good as it. I have four Dobyns as well. Both are outstanding for the price point. I like the Dobyns for versatility and sensitivity and the villain in terms of durability, aesthetics, and action.