St. Croix Avid X v's G. Loomis E6X

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St. Croix Avid X v's G. Loomis E6X

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Looking for opinions on both and maybe which is a better balanced and lighter rod.

I'm looking at the E6X 843C MBR and the Avid X 7' MF.

Going to pair it with a Chronarch MGL XG and 8-10 pound Senshi. Light plastics and some lighter moving baits.

Has anyone had time with both or just one? I'm kinda limited to rods as I have a 150 gift card from BP to use and thei selection online is weak and it's even worse here at the OKC store.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: St. Croix Avid X v's G. Loomis E6X

Post by Hulkster » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:06 pm

I have the MBR843 E6X and I really like it. The MBR taper is tough to beat.

both of these rods are good. both have aluminum oxide guides, but the Avid X overall weight will be lighter in part due to the microguides.

some people love microguides, other hate them (esp those that use leaders as the knot can be tough to pass through sometimes)

I have never fished with the Avid X though. perhaps someone who has fished with both can help.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I've said it before, I loved my Avid X 7' MH F. Was a really great rod, looked nice, balanced well, and was quite sensitive and plenty of backbone. I liked it a lot better than my St. Croix LTB.
Never used an E6x but I've heard they are pretty heavy and a bit tip heavy.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:42 am

I've had both and I prefer the Loomis E6x. Even better than both options is a Loomis IMX (($191.50 right now on Landbigfish.com). I like to buy whatever rod I get at a steep discount. If I don't like it, I sell it and usually get close to what I paid).

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:37 pm

I haven't used the casting rods but I fished with both in spinning models and went with the Avid X. I fished with the E6X 7' M-F and the 7' ML-F, both are rated the same but weight, balance, and sensitivity have a world of difference. I was looking for a hair jig rod and my buddy had both of these, he got the E6X and a year later he got the Avid X to replace it and I know why. Comparing both the Avid X is lighter but a good bit, it is better balanced which I found odd since the E6X has a full handle, and the sensitivity was that much better compared to the E6X it really made the Loomis feel like it was overpriced. I am a Loomis fan, I have several IMX, GL3s, a Bronzeback and a GLX and my experiences with St.Croix rods previously weren't good. I expected to be buying another Loomis but the Avid X was so much better, it surprised me that it is the same blank as the regular Avid, I never imagined just using a split grip with micro guides could make a rod so much more responsive. Anyway, I know it isn't the spinning rods you are looking at but based on the extreme difference I found with the models I fished it wouldn't be hard ti imagine that you'll find similar results in the casting models as well, if sensitivity is even needed a little bit the Avid X is going to be better but the mag bass taper on a Loomis rod is really nice for versatility.
Barlow's Tackle

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:47 pm

I would go with the Loomis E6X just to avoid the Kigan guides on the Avid X. The standard Avid rod series feature Fuji guides and I feel are a better blank than the Loomis at that price point. Chip in an extra $120 and get to the IMX-Pro series and that will blow the others outta the park though. Balance is reasonable with either of your options in my opinion.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:47 am

I'd tend to agree with the commenters here with the Avid X being the better selection. However, I do have the E6X Inshore 843c and compared to an Avid X M Mod rod, the Loomis felt better. Yes, the Avid X tip was lighter, but the Loomis' tip is seductive and oh so soft.

I love my Avid X's but for inshore fishing, IMHO, the Loomis was better (I couldn't compare the Avid inshore, but if I could, I'd would have had to also consider the Loomis Greenwater).

Like you- I had points/coupon so I was limited to what I could test. I'm also one of those guys that need to hold a rod before I purchase.

Let us know which one you pulled the trigger on.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 pm

I have both as well.The loomis is weightless worm rod and the Avid is my mid size jig rod. I like the handle on the loomis better than the one on the avid. But both are decent rods for the their price.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks for all the help guys. I forgot to update the thread.

I returned the G. Loomis E6X. No matter how hard I wrenched the reel seat down, the reel would still flex in the seat. Tried shims and still the same.

BP happened to have one regular Avid full grip in the store. It was sitting in the back never brought out. Guy at the service counter happened to be a stockman too. Ran back and got it. 7'MF.

I ended up getting a G. Loomis GLX843 MBR off the forums cheap and made that my light worm setup.