Phenix Feather

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Phenix Feather

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Just_Bass wrote:What should I get L or ML for weightless plastic like trick/Finesse worm and Super Fluke? I used to have Crucial Dropshot rod Gen2 1/8-3/8oz and this rod can handle weightless trick worm all the way to 5" Senko.

I picked up the ML a while back as a filler until I found a JDM offering I liked. I don't think it is suited for anything without an exposed hook, especially if you fish deeper water or your not using braid. Just don't think it has enough umphh in the tip for a good hookset. Works great with neds, nekos,whacky's and even light treble hook baits that don't offer much water resistance.
It has decent balance with a sub 6oz reel. The guide size is great for braid to leader, but I will echo another contributor to say that braid gets wrapped around the top guide way too frequently. My line has also caught on the hook keeper several times creating professional backlashes.
Rods rated at L or ML inherantly get put through the ringer when you are fishing for LMB, they are fun to fish and fun to push to the limit. I have had one guide become very loose after a short period of time. Overall the rod doesn't look so great after 4 months of regular use. I must admit this is my 1st ML casting rod in any price range, so I really don't have anything to compare it to, but durability might be an issue especially at this rod rating. All in all I don't feel let down for the price point.
Last edited by Aquaftm45 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:07 pm

All the split reel seats are a deal-breaker for me. I had the 7-1 MH Feather and sold it because of the reel seat, even though the blank itself was impressive. Phenix makes a great blank, but it's maddening to me that they sometimes don't make the blanks available. The Maxim is a prime example. Back in the spring, I was back and forth with Phenix and GetBit for about 2 weeks as to whether the blanks were actually available. Phenix would never give me a straight answer, but answered questions about the various models. GetBit finally told me the blanks aren't available from Phenix, despite being listed on GetBit's website. I hope the story goes differently with the Feather blanks, because I would sure like to have a custom built on the 7-3 XH.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:20 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:All the split reel seats are a deal-breaker for me. I had the 7-1 MH Feather and sold it because of the reel seat, even though the blank itself was impressive. Phenix makes a great blank, but it's maddening to me that they sometimes don't make the blanks available. The Maxim is a prime example. Back in the spring, I was back and forth with Phenix and GetBit for about 2 weeks as to whether the blanks were actually available. Phenix would never give me a straight answer, but answered questions about the various models. GetBit finally told me the blanks aren't available from Phenix, despite being listed on GetBit's website. I hope the story goes differently with the Feather blanks, because I would sure like to have a custom built on the 7-3 XH.
If they sale well as they are appearing to be, I would imagine the blanks would become available. Then again, being so close to the Recon line, maybe not?

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Just_Bass wrote:What should I get L or ML for weightless plastic like trick/Finesse worm and Super Fluke? I used to have Crucial Dropshot rod Gen2 1/8-3/8oz and this rod can handle weightless trick worm all the way to 5" Senko.

I picked up the ML a while back as a filler until I found a JDM offering I liked. I don't think it is suited for anything without an exposed hook, especially if you fish deeper water or your not using braid. Just don't think it has enough umphh in the tip for a good hookset. Works great with neds, nekos,whacky's and even light treble hook baits that don't offer much water resistance.
It has decent balance with a sub 6oz reel. The guide size is great for braid to leader, but I will echo another contributor to say that braid gets wrapped around the top guide way too frequently. My line has also caught on the hook keeper several times creating professional backlashes.
Rods rated at L or ML inherantly get put through the ringer when you are fishing for LMB, they are fun to fish and fun to push to the limit. I have had one guide become very loose after a short period of time. Overall the rod doesn't look so great after 4 months of regular use. I must admit this is my 1st ML casting rod in any price range, so I really don't have anything to compare it to, but durability might be an issue especially at this rod rating. All in all I don't feel let down for the price point.
Thanks for your opinion, I had been trying many casting rods with 1/8-3/8 oz lure weight to replace my Crucial Dropshot gen 2 rod, so far I don't find any that I'm happy with. Just recently order Carbonlite 2.0 7' ML 1/16-1/2oz.