Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Loomis Conquest rods

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun May 13, 2018 3:05 am

TommyG wrote:CNQ 904C + Bantam Mgl Hg.2.jpg
Have not even put line on the Bantam yet. Hope to get these bad boys on the water soon
awesome....

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:26 am

Does anyone know the weight difference between the 843c (which is supposed to weigh 3.6 ounces) and 844c?

casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by casterus » Sun May 27, 2018 8:29 am

Hi everyone.
Had chance using my new CNQ 903 /Steez SVTW /12 Shooter on 2 outings. I don't own NRX 893 to compare with, I got NRX 894 / Zillion SVTW / 14 Shooter. Did try wacky Senko on both. I can feel taptap stronger with CNQ then NRX. Who knows maybe different power 3/4. I've used spinnerbait and 4,3 keitech on CNQ too. I agree with others CNQ is multipurpose helluva rod.
Waiting for reeel for CNQ 902s. I think well spent money on great rods.
Adam

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun May 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Got some time with the CNQ904c, Very Nice!!! 18lb. sunline structure fc with a 10in power worm and 3/8 wt.
dragging the worm over the rocks you can feel everything quite well, especially when a fish hits!!! WOWZA!! No doubt "that was a fish!!!" I missed 2 cause I had my head in my a**, but the next one I was ready, yup no doubt, not a rock, FISH.
The rod has a great taper, I think it will work fine for moving single hook baits as well as bottom contact.
I have a Z-Bone LE5 7-3, and there is a difference, the Bone is like a snare drum, where the CNQ is like a tom-tom, deeper resonance, if that makes sense. Combo'd up with the Bantam Mgl... :big grin: \:D/

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed May 30, 2018 1:18 am

I've all but retired from fresh water (and the gear I have is more than sufficient for anything and everything I'd ever want to do in freshwater anyway) over the past few years and my limited fishing time has been pushed solely to saltwater. Now 100% shorebound since I've sold both my boats and while I have a desire to be a boat owner again, I don't have the desire to be a boat driver-arounder or cleaner :lol: Spotted bay bass typically being the target for those familiar with Socal/San Diego fishing.

With that in mind, the only 2 rods I fish now are my NRX 842C and 893C with Met MGL (feel free to check out my other recent thread for advice on how not to maintain your MGL reels as a saltwater angler) depending on where I am planning to fish on any given day.

842C loads up wonderfully on both the cast and when fish take the bait, but suffers from a slight lack of power on hooksets. Specifically, in areas with heavy eel grass, I feel like while I'm driving the hook home, the fish have too much time to bolt into the grass, and often times this results in the fish being lost. In lighter grass areas it's not a big deal, but in deeper areas with thicker grass, it's not uncommon for me to have half my fish get stuck in grass and come off.

893C handles every fish it's ever seen like a boss (and is the only bottom contact rod I ever want to use for the rest of my life on the rare occasion I fish freshwater), but the action is just a bit too fast for what I'm doing (typically 1/4 oz t-rigged swimbaits fished with a steady retrieve). The typical SBB is not very large and I feel like the stiffer tip makes it much easier to just crank the bait out of a fish's mouth instead of loading up nicely like the 842C does. The tip is also stiffer than I'd like for casting, but the extra 5 inches on the rod probably makes up for the little bit of distance that would otherwise be lost.

Long story short, what Conquest rods would you consider the best middle ground between these two sticks and more in line with what I'm looking for? I have my eye mostly on the 903C (I wish there was a 902C, I'd probably just buy it without making this post) just because my main gripe with 893C is that the action is too fast, and since I'm stuck on shore, I'm happy to have as much length as I can get over the 842C. From reading this thread it sounds like the Conquest 842C has a bit more power than the NRX, so it has my attention as well. The 3rd one I'm considering is the 843C, but given that the NRX 842C is just a little bit short of the power I am looking for, it seems like the Conquest 843C might be a bit too much and I might just be wanting the NRX 843C (or Conquest 842C)

Any help with my decision paralysis is appreciated :D

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 am

903C :D :D

casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by casterus » Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 am

I think 903c is the rod you are looking for. It got power to set hook and drive fish out of weeds. 1/4+ trailer + 903c you can cast pretty easy and far. I have 843 and 842 in GLX . Bought CNQ 903c because lenght and action I like.

Adam

Gloomis34
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gloomis34 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 am

I really wish they added the 901S to the conquest line up the NRX was a fun in that model hope the 901S gets added this year in icast

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Gloomis34 wrote:I really wish they added the 901S to the conquest line up the NRX was a fun in that model hope the 901S gets added this year in icast
Or an 841S :D

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Can any of you, and bronzefly I know you fish many of these, give me your thoughts on which conquest would throw large topwater (3/4 and 1oz plus) walking baits and pencil poppers? I was leaning towards the 904c. I am throwing these baits for smallies, so I don't want to be overkill and I don't want to lose fish (been using an OG mb diablo for this). It would also double as a vibration bait and jig rod. I think the extra length will be helpful. Is the tip soft enough?
Thanks!
Last edited by DUZBASS on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 pm

id go 903...i have both and the 3 power conquests are much more powerful than loomis 3 power. 904 is way overkill for smallies.

Unimog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Unimog » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:59 am

I would think 7’6 is a bit on the long side for working a topwater. I’d think an 843 would be more appropriate imho.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 am

I’m thinking about a CNQ 782s SJR. I will be using it mainly for tubes and the like. 6’6” seems to be my comfort zone. If you have or had one, please share your thoughts . Thanks. Does anyone have the weight of this rod?

hodag
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by hodag » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:03 pm

i have the 843, 844, 903, 904 conquest.

for 3/4 to 1 oz tw get the 844. the 3 power too light for 1 oz lures.

844 is a great tw rod.

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:31 am

Are the Conquest guides true micro? Or semi micro like the NRX size wise?