St. Croix gold start warranty

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

St. Croix gold start warranty

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Anybody made use of this warranty that would care to share? I broke a ES76MF doing a Gong Lei type heave onto the dock with about a 3 lb bass. It was a great rod and has served me very well for about 3 years. However, I have had my eyes set on a different spinner that could double duty for some shore salt fishing I've recently gotten into and I probably have enough spinners as it is given that I tend to baitcast more often anyway. So, question is do I invest the $120 and send her off to st croix or do I retire this brave soldier for the spinner I've been eyeballing lately?

mysteryang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: St. Croix gold start warranty

Post by mysteryang » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:58 am

I've used the gold star plan before and it's great. Pay the fee, no problems. So I guess the real question is, did you love the rod enough before it broke? If so then send it in, pay the fee. If not then would you be willing to part ways with the broken rod? If so, then I'd be interested in taking it. :)

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: St. Croix gold start warranty

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:34 am

Thanks for the input. My wife talked me into sending it back. I did like the rod. I found an Apia that's a bit heavier and two piece. I had a relatively light morning, so I just went and did it. I guess it was in part laziness. I really appreciate guys that sell here and on auction sites that package so nicely and are willing to ship. I just end up giving my older stuff away to kids through my local tackle shops. With work and family...what little time I have, I have to keep it for the water. Anyway, it will be nice to have this rod back even as a backup if I do pick up that Apia I've been eyeballing. I haven't broken a rod in a long time. I heard a snap but I didn't realize it was the rod until I let the fish go.