$150+- frog rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

$150+- frog rod

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:49 pm

I fish the CA Delta, so I'm fishing a lot of tulles with heavy grass around them, and heavy grass beds on shallow shelves next to current. On low tide the fish move out to the outer edges of the grass, but they can still bury up in the grass pretty fast.
I'm looking for a $150+- 7'-7'3 frog rod with a soft enough tip to be able to cast accurately, but a good backbone to pull fish out of the slop. I've been using a 7' med heavy rod, but it struggles getting the fish out of the grass.
Any recommendations?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: $150+- frog rod

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:49 am

If you can find an IMX844 I think you love it
I speaking of the old one
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFisher83 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:29 am

I'm not sure what the used market on a MB Perfect Pitch is but I'd certainly look at them.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:58 am

Mark

I'd give a look to the Hammer Rods 7'3" Extra Heavy - it's an excellent frog rod in addition to being an excellent heavier cover jig/worm type rod. You can use the "TT10" code at check out on The Tackle Trap site for 10% off, free shipping, and no sales tax outside Alabama. All in all, the Hammer Rods are among the best performing sub $200 rods on the market in my opinion.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 am

I too fish the Delta and my frog rod has always been a Powell 735. Great rods and can pull fish out of the weeds. As a reference, if you've ever fished Whites or Italian Slough, that's the kind of junk I've pulled fish out of. Last year, I added a 13 Omen Black 2 and like that rod a lot, too. It's pretty cheap, but still light, balanced and powerful. If I were to compare the two, the think the Powell is a tad faster. Hope this helps!

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:16 am

I fish delta as well once or twice a year. I love the phenix ultra mbx 703xh for frogging.
good luck

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:38 am

Try - 13 Fishing Muse Black Casting Rod 6'5" Heavy

Why Such a Short Frog Rod? - My Frog Fishing Rod video from Flukemaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R53NpJLsMHc

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 am

Cracker wrote:Try - 13 Fishing Muse Black Casting Rod 6'5" Heavy

Why Such a Short Frog Rod? - My Frog Fishing Rod video from Flukemaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R53NpJLsMHc
Cracker, I made some comments on short rods over on Flukemaster's video earlier.

I use an even shorter rod for frogs for fishing from my kayak where we can get so much closer to where we fish, this, and we just don't typically make super long casts.

Mine is a 5'6' St Croix, Medium power, fast tip. It actually has about the same length as a 6 footer from the reel forward, just a few inches difference. Most of it is out of the handle end.

Alas, trying to convince most anglers that a Class 3 lever has more leverage (less bad leverage, actually) the shorter it is, well, it's a wasted cause. So, short equals enhanced accuracy and lifting power; short also equals less casting distance, a shorter hook-set sweep.

With a shorter rod, you don't need a heavy rod power, a medium or medium heavy will do just fine working that better leverage.

Brad

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:29 am

Dobyns 735 in your series of choice. Savvy would be in your price range. I use mine for frogs exclusively and it has never disappointed.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 am

XX Perfect Pitch or BJ Frog Game Special.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:Dobyns 735 in your series of choice. Savvy would be in your price range. I use mine for frogs exclusively and it has never disappointed.
I would second a Savvy, which I believe has been replaced by the Sierra...the Fury is another good choice to look at for $110 retail (wait for a 15-20% off sale and it's priced even better).

Reason for the Dobyns recommendation is that it's well balanced and won't fatigue you like other rods might. I used to own a Powell Max 735C and the tip was so heavy it made working a frog a total pain. Ripping a frog through the slop is already work enough, then having to battle the heavy tip...it didn't last long and I sold it as fast as I could; never even got a chance to catch a fish on it!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'll be clipping my coupons, and my S&H Green Stamps.
I like the shorter 7' rod because I can make more accurate short casts and pitches with it, and it is much easier/less tiring to work a frog fast all day with the shorter rod. Sometimes, that's how they want it.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Mark, I'm on the Delta pretty much every week. Dobyns 735 Champion is my stick of choice. Lot of guys like the 736 but I've never felt the need for the more powerful rod. With the 735, I get a little softer/more responsive tip. Easier to skip & pitch the hollowbelly's IMO. It is also easier to walk the frog for me. I feel like I'm walking the bait as opposed to working the line.

Plenty of power to move fish with the 735.......I'll confess to boat flipping a 9.5lb frog fish last season. Big ones have eluded me this season ](*,) .....so far.

I picked up a Sierra 735 as a third rod to compliment the two Champion 735. Sierra is a really nice jump in quality compared to the Savvy series rod it replaced.

If you want to stay with a 7' stick, I'd look at the 705C. Here is the thing though.....with the 7' stick, I don't feel you have as nice as a tip. Upper 1/3 of the rod fishes 'stiffer' IMO. Not saying it isn't a good rod. It is more that I feel the 735 is one of those special sticks. Dobyns hit it out of the park with the 735.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:07 am

civicrr wrote:Mark, I'm on the Delta pretty much every week. Dobyns 735 Champion is my stick of choice. Lot of guys like the 736 but I've never felt the need for the more powerful rod. With the 735, I get a little softer/more responsive tip. Easier to skip & pitch the hollowbelly's IMO. It is also easier to walk the frog for me. I feel like I'm walking the bait as opposed to working the line.

Plenty of power to move fish with the 735.......I'll confess to boat flipping a 9.5lb frog fish last season. Big ones have eluded me this season ](*,) .....so far.

I picked up a Sierra 735 as a third rod to compliment the two Champion 735. Sierra is a really nice jump in quality compared to the Savvy series rod it replaced.

If you want to stay with a 7' stick, I'd look at the 705C. Here is the thing though.....with the 7' stick, I don't feel you have as nice as a tip. Upper 1/3 of the rod fishes 'stiffer' IMO. Not saying it isn't a good rod. It is more that I feel the 735 is one of those special sticks. Dobyns hit it out of the park with the 735.
Thanks. I'll check them out on TW.