Kistler KLX closest to old Kistler "APC" rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sweden14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Kistler KLX closest to old Kistler "APC" rods?

Post by sweden14 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Looking to add another 6'9" "do a little bit of everything" rod, like I used to do with the older Kistler Mg 6'9" MH "all purpose casting" gray and green blanks.

Anyone have any idea which of the current KLX comes comes closest? Would assume it's either the KLXCRT69MH or the KLXTCRWJ69MH.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kistler KLX closest to old Kistler "APC" rods?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Man, I used the crap out of that old magnesium model. Very versatile blank. I believe the two models you listed use the same blanks. If they're different, it's very hard to detect. I would say the MH Klx has a touch more power than the old model 6'9 magnesium. The 6'9 Klx tops and twitch is closer imo, but it does have slightly less power than the magnesium did.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:25 am

On a slight tangent.....I use my Mag2 6'9" rod as my "do it all rod". If I had one rod to grab, that'd be the one. I've sold off six rods because of it. Well, I've bought some other rods too. :)

My father in law has a couple of the old Kistler Mag and Helium LTA rods, and they're solid.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 pm

I had one of the original Kistler 6'9 LTA's and then never touched another Kistler until the current Helium 3. My H3 is just awesome and I would be looking in that line at the 6'9 model. I have the 7'3 Hexfast and it is a many purpose rod. I'm told the 7'4MH exfast is super as well with less power.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:01 pm

DavidSA wrote:I had one of the original Kistler 6'9 LTA's and then never touched another Kistler until the current Helium 3. My H3 is just awesome and I would be looking in that line at the 6'9 model. I have the 7'3 Hexfast and it is a many purpose rod. I'm told the 7'4MH exfast is super as well with less power.

Man, I still have my beloved original Kistler Helium 69APC. What a great rod that was (is)!! I pretty much leave it in retirement now, but bring it out on occasion.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:26 pm

indeed that is/was a great rod. I like aspects of its build better then the H3; specifically the full rear grip and zero foregrip. That said, the new H3 line is likely more sensitive and is among the best rods I've picked up at any cost based on 1 that I own.