Megabass XX Dropshot vs. Stinger Tip for DS and general finesse?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Megabass XX Dropshot vs. Stinger Tip for DS and general finesse?

Post by Houndfish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 am

Hi,

I have been bit by the dropshot bug and have started looking at rods. I picked up a Tour Versatile a few months ago and love it, so I have started my search by looking at these two Orochi XX rods, but I am unclear on how they differ. I think I understand the idea behind the stinger/solid tip, which I believe is roughly "the softer DS rod will be more forgiving in fighting fish but the ST will be more sensitive and allow better hooksets"? I am super off base here?

In addition to DS, I want a rod that is good for general finesse spinning presentations. My current finesse spinning rod is a custom ML/F rod, but at 6' for bushwacking and kayak use. This rod will be mostly used from the bank or wading larger water and I think want a longer and more sensitive rod for more open/maintained areas. In addition to using it for drop shotting, I want a rod that will work well for Ned Rigs/MWF style fishing, small (< 1/4oz) cranks and other hardbaits, and maybe weighless Trick Worms. I would be sticking a Ci4+ 2500 on it and would like to use a middle of the road floro as my line, but would like the flexibility to run braid/leader as well.

In any case I would love any insight from anyone who has fished either or both of these rods. I am not married to the XX line, but I really like the TV and am intrigued by the long foregrips on the spinning rods and the "whole hand in front of the reel" grip.

Thanks

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass XX Dropshot vs. Stinger Tip for DS and general finesse?

Post by Canga- » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:03 pm

i have not fished the stinger shot, but have fished the dropshot for a few years now. for your needs of DS, ned rig, small cranks (love this rod for a KVD 1.0, #7 flicker shad/shad rap, etc) and a weightless trick worm, i think that the DS special will fit the bill perfectly.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Haven't fished the dropshot, but have the stinger tip. The solid top is way sensitive, but less versatile. I would only fish single open hook techniques with it. However, it is an awesome DS stick.

Get both. Or get the XX stinger and an addermine.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I was wondering about the Stinger Shot being too specialized for my needs, I only take a single stick with me most of the time so I want a little more flexibility. The Drop Shot is sounding more and more like what I am looking for. My BFS rod is a Phenix PHX-C682, so I am accustomed to a softer then fast rod for finesse stuff.
Tokugawa wrote:Get both. Or get the XX stinger and an addermine.
Hah, if I was going to go crazy I would try and track down a F3-610DGS or something.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:38 pm

The stinger tip is a great DS rod, but super soft. The rod loads quickly due to the xfast stinger tip. Like the rod and been using it for a few years now.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Teal101 wrote:The stinger tip is a great DS rod, but super soft.
So a favorite finesse lure of mine is the 4" Ocho worm, t-rigged on a 1/0 Twistlock. It has a painfully slow flutter to the bottom, but it works very well.

Would the Stinger Tip be able to get consistent hooksets with a lure rigged like this? It doesn't seem much different than a weedless rigged dropshot, but I have had some hookset issues when I tried fishing it on a St Croix L action spinning rod. I couldn't get the road loaded fast enough without ripping it out of the bass's mouth, but I am still not 100% what was going on.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:59 am

The stinger tip will load very fast, so no issues there. I like a ML stinger tip with open hook (ds, wacky rig, no trailer jigs) presentations. I would go a bit heavier in rod for a Texas rigged plastic like that.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks for the response. It is sounding more and more like I want the Drop Shot model. I am curious as hell about that Stinger Shot though, I would love to fish one for an afternoon.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:54 pm

I would only use the Stinger tip with an open hook as well. A little too soft for buried hooks.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Welp
Some free time appeared the week after next, so I had to act. Thanks for the imput guys, I am really confident I am gonna love this thing.

Now I gotta buy like a thousand roboworms I guess. :big grin: