Phenix Bass Recon Elite vs St. Croix Legend Elite

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Phenix Bass Recon Elite vs St. Croix Legend Elite

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi all,

In the market for a Jig/Chatterbait rod.

I chose these rods since they have a long, full handle. I have a Avid X with a broken guide that I am considering to use for the Gold program with St.Croix to upgrade to the Legend Elite.

Considering the following:

* Phenix Bass Recon Elite Casting Rod 7'6" Heavy

* Phenix Bass Recon Elite Casting Rod 7'9" Heavy

* St. Croix Legend Elite Casting Rod 7'4" Heavy

Legend Elite would cost me: 280 USD

Phenix would cost me: 200-210 USD (I could sell the Avid X additionally, not sure though how much I could get for it...)

What are you guys thinking?

Thanks!

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Phenix Bass Recon Elite vs St. Croix Legend Elite

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:22 pm

St. Croix Legend Elite in a heartbeat! Check out the TT review of the St. Croix Legend Elite. A friend of mine has both of these rods (in different powers) and I'm fairly confident that he would choose the St. Croix. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Phenix Recon, but you get more bang for your buck with the St. Croix.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:51 pm

tacklejunkie2 wrote:St. Croix Legend Elite in a heartbeat! Check out the TT review of the St. Croix Legend Elite. A friend of mine has both of these rods (in different powers) and I'm fairly confident that he would choose the St. Croix. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Phenix Recon, but you get more bang for your buck with the St. Croix.
Thanks mate.

Wondering if should also consider the St. Croix Legend Elite Casting Rod 7'6" Med Hvy...

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:55 pm

I would also choose the legend elite between those two. 7'6"is a little too long for me for chatterbaits. Id look at either the 7ft mh fast or 7'1" mh xfastdepending on line and cover

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:50 am

* St. Croix Legend Elite Casting Rod 7'1" Med Hvy
* St. Croix Legend Elite Casting Rod 7'4" Heavy

Heavy or Medium Heavy?

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:01 pm

I believe the St C's fish heavier than their rating....

It used to be that way, but I'm not sure about the LE's.

Experts please weigh in here.,..

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:14 pm

im a phenix guy. either recon will serve you well for jigs. I tend to go 1/2 oz or lower for most of my jigging, for this I prefer a MH, but that's my preference. as for chattaerbaits I throw them on x-10. really heavy grass situation ultra mbx 7 foot mh.
good luck, let us know what you end up with.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:48 pm

BlaineFred wrote:I believe the St C's fish heavier than their rating....

It used to be that way, but I'm not sure about the LE's.

Experts please weigh in here.,..

Yeah, that is true my Avid X MH feels more like a Heavy compared to other MH rods that I have.
robsone79 wrote:im a phenix guy. either recon will serve you well for jigs. I tend to go 1/2 oz or lower for most of my jigging, for this I prefer a MH, but that's my preference. as for chattaerbaits I throw them on x-10. really heavy grass situation ultra mbx 7 foot mh.
good luck, let us know what you end up with.

I am not sure yet what to do. Heavy or Medium- Heavy, St.Croix or Phenix or even something else like a Megabass... Those first world problems... lol

What would you guys choose and why?

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:00 pm

On jigs, St. Croix's Dan Czerwinski, their warranty guy, may move you up to a Legend Xtreme. I had an Xtreme MH, and it was a very sensitive rod, enabling me to feel the jig move along the bottom and feel the very light bites. The MH fished like a H, so I didn't like it. I should have obtained the M.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:48 pm

BlaineFred wrote:On jigs, St. Croix's Dan Czerwinski, their warranty guy, may move you up to a Legend Xtreme. I had an Xtreme MH, and it was a very sensitive rod, enabling me to feel the jig move along the bottom and feel the very light bites. The MH fished like a H, so I didn't like it. I should have obtained the M.
I tried the Elite Extreme. Nice rod but I did not like the handle. My hand hurt after a bit... Interesting that you prefer a lower powered rod for Jig fishing. You must have to set the hook like there is no morning to drive it in.. :big grin:

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:38 pm

I used to use my avid 7ft mh fast for trigs, jigs, Carolina rigs, swimjigs, chatterbaits, buzzbaits, and large night spinnerbaits. It had plenty of power to fish all these well in sparse grass and moderate wood cover. I've used a medium power for light trigs, jigs, and spinnerbaits in light grass and it has plenty of power to set The hook and fight fish as long as you aren't planning on skiing in a 6 pounder out of heavy grass. :lol: The st Croix rods are a little more powerful than most rods rated the same power by other manufacturers. Abu Garcia rods also feel that way to me, and imho they are more powerful per rating than the Croix rods. Some rods seem a little lighter in power than rated. I only bring this up because the only recon I fished felt lighter in power than rated compared with most mh rods I've fished. Sensitivity is subjective but the legend elite is st croixs flagship rod on their best blank with torzite guides and quality cork. They also have a great warranty. The phenix is no slouch but it's a lower prices rod than the legend elite and the blank isn't as sensitive and the guides aren't as good as the Croix either. Phoenix makes good rods but I've fished the last model recon, an m1, and a umbx and none were as sensitive as the last generation legend elite I fished with. Both rods have been redone since I used them so take this for what it's worth but the legend elite is a step above the recon imho. If you choose the Croix I'd think a mh power would be perfect unless you fish heavy mats or pads. If it's the recon then the older model mh wasn't powerful enough unless I used it only in open water. I would have rather had a mh for anything with a thick hook like skirted baits or around any cover. Everyone prefers different rods even fishing the same spot and technique though so hopefully some others will chime in. Also just out of curiosity for anyone who has fished both, how do the new record compare against the old ones?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:53 pm

timsford wrote:I used to use my avid 7ft mh fast for trigs, jigs, Carolina rigs, swimjigs, chatterbaits, buzzbaits, and large night spinnerbaits. It had plenty of power to fish all these well in sparse grass and moderate wood cover. I've used a medium power for light trigs, jigs, and spinnerbaits in light grass and it has plenty of power to set The hook and fight fish as long as you aren't planning on skiing in a 6 pounder out of heavy grass. :lol: The st Croix rods are a little more powerful than most rods rated the same power by other manufacturers. Abu Garcia rods also feel that way to me, and imho they are more powerful per rating than the Croix rods. Some rods seem a little lighter in power than rated. I only bring this up because the only recon I fished felt lighter in power than rated compared with most mh rods I've fished. Sensitivity is subjective but the legend elite is st croixs flagship rod on their best blank with torzite guides and quality cork. They also have a great warranty. The phenix is no slouch but it's a lower prices rod than the legend elite and the blank isn't as sensitive and the guides aren't as good as the Croix either. Phoenix makes good rods but I've fished the last model recon, an m1, and a umbx and none were as sensitive as the last generation legend elite I fished with. Both rods have been redone since I used them so take this for what it's worth but the legend elite is a step above the recon imho. If you choose the Croix I'd think a mh power would be perfect unless you fish heavy mats or pads. If it's the recon then the older model mh wasn't powerful enough unless I used it only in open water. I would have rather had a mh for anything with a thick hook like skirted baits or around any cover. Everyone prefers different rods even fishing the same spot and technique though so hopefully some others will chime in. Also just out of curiosity for anyone who has fished both, how do the new record compare against the old ones?
great reply, thanks!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:04 pm

Ok here is my current list of options:

* Phenix Bass Recon Elite Casting Rod 7'6" Heavy
* St. Croix Legend Elite Casting Rod 7'4" Heavy
* St. Croix Legend Elite Casting Rod 7'6" Med Hvy
* Phenix Bass Recon Elite Casting Rod 7'4" Med Hvy
* Orochi XX Casting Rod 7'2" XH Perfect Pitch
* St. Croix Avid X Series Cast Rod 7'4" Med Hvy

How would you rank them and which would you choose?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Question for OP,
Are you looking for rods at a certain price point because you have other options with the price point outside of the two brands.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:58 pm

goldrod wrote:Question for OP,
Are you looking for rods at a certain price point because you have other options with the price point outside of the two brands.
I am flexible.

Characteristics that I am looking out for in the rod are:
* Length (7'1'' - 7'9'')
* Handle (preferred is a full handle with at least 16 inch)
* Sensitivity
* Light

* Applications: 80 % Jigs (1/2 oz - 1oz), 10% single hook paddle tail swimbiat, 10% chatterbait