Phenix Bass Recon Elite vs St. Croix Legend Elite

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Phenix Bass Recon Elite vs St. Croix Legend Elite

Post by goldrod » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 am

freelancer27 wrote:
goldrod wrote:Question for OP,
Are you looking for rods at a certain price point because you have other options with the price point outside of the two brands.
I am flexible.

Characteristics that I am looking out for in the rod are:
* Length (7'1'' - 7'9'')
* Handle (preferred is a full handle with at least 16 inch)
* Sensitivity
* Light

* Applications: 80 % Jigs (1/2 oz - 1oz), 10% single hook paddle tail swimbiat, 10% chatterbait
That helps alot but I am not experienced in using a primary jig rod for chatterbaits.. To me they are different rods but others on hereay have.. With what you said I'm sure to get you something
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:27 pm

goldrod wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
goldrod wrote:Question for OP,
Are you looking for rods at a certain price point because you have other options with the price point outside of the two brands.
I am flexible.

Characteristics that I am looking out for in the rod are:
* Length (7'1'' - 7'9'')
* Handle (preferred is a full handle with at least 16 inch)
* Sensitivity
* Light

* Applications: 80 % Jigs (1/2 oz - 1oz), 10% single hook paddle tail swimbiat, 10% chatterbait
That helps alot but I am not experienced in using a primary jig rod for chatterbaits.. To me they are different rods but others on hereay have.. With what you said I'm sure to get you something
What would you recommend me (taking the chaterbait part out of the equation)?
Thanks!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:02 am

I have the Legend Elite 7'4" and I got it for jigs only.. I have never owned a phenix rod so I can not intelligently make any comments about it.. I've not even seen one in person.. The LE however is a good stick.. Balances very very well and I have a D7 on it.. It is light and at the moment I know that the guides are small but I cant remember how small. It is an excellent jig rod and not too light of a power for me.. I use only floro with it.. I have a Gambler rod by MB that I like and a Faust.. If I had to choose one of them I would just go by what I can afford.. I also have the NRX 894 but I don't use it for jigs.. I prefer the LE rod over the 894.. My son is leaving for the AF this next week so I am going on the water with him this weekend to elaborate more.. just as I am finishing up 20 years of Naval Service my fishing buddy is leaving and he's going AF..

Sorry ,, man.. I was off topic a little but.. for what you want the LE is a great stick and I will have it this weekend
pm me your email and can send pics.. BTW, the LE is not a Steez rod... don't sit well for me.. so I went with the D7 or a zillion platform will be good..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:00 am

goldrod wrote:I have the Legend Elite 7'4" and I got it for jigs only.. I have never owned a phenix rod so I can not intelligently make any comments about it.. I've not even seen one in person.. The LE however is a good stick.. Balances very very well and I have a D7 on it.. It is light and at the moment I know that the guides are small but I cant remember how small. It is an excellent jig rod and not too light of a power for me.. I use only floro with it.. I have a Gambler rod by MB that I like and a Faust.. If I had to choose one of them I would just go by what I can afford.. I also have the NRX 894 but I don't use it for jigs.. I prefer the LE rod over the 894.. My son is leaving for the AF this next week so I am going on the water with him this weekend to elaborate more.. just as I am finishing up 20 years of Naval Service my fishing buddy is leaving and he's going AF..

Sorry ,, man.. I was off topic a little but.. for what you want the LE is a great stick and I will have it this weekend
pm me your email and can send pics.. BTW, the LE is not a Steez rod... don't sit well for me.. so I went with the D7 or a zillion platform will be good..
Thanks for your reply! Enjoy your time on the water!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:48 pm

Today I had the chance to sneak out after work to get to the lake for some hours. I brought the following combos:

* Daiwa Steez XT + Metanium MGL + 12 # Sunline Super FC Sniper Fluorocarbon Green
* Okuma Scott Martin TCS Casting Rod 7'3" Heavy + Daiwa SV103XS + 50 # Sufix 832 Braided Line Lo-Vis Green

Here is what I found:

Though the Daiwa Steez XT should be the most sensitive combo given its high quality blank I found that the Okuma with the braid set up was wayyyyy more sensitive. I could feel every little stone and branch when I was moving the jig.

To summarize: seems like I can save a LOT of money and just use braid as the line (or braid with a short leader). Also I caught a lot of (big) fish on the braid which really surprised me given that this line is pretty visible and that the fish in this part of the lake do get some pressure...

Thoughts?

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:01 am

freelancer27 wrote:Today I had the chance to sneak out after work to get to the lake for some hours. I brought the following combos:

* Daiwa Steez XT + Metanium MGL + 12 # Sunline Super FC Sniper Fluorocarbon Green
* Okuma Scott Martin TCS Casting Rod 7'3" Heavy + Daiwa SV103XS + 50 # Sufix 832 Braided Line Lo-Vis Green

Here is what I found:

Though the Daiwa Steez XT should be the most sensitive combo given its high quality blank I found that the Okuma with the braid set up was wayyyyy more sensitive. I could feel every little stone and branch when I was moving the jig.

To summarize: seems like I can save a LOT of money and just use braid as the line (or braid with a short leader). Also I caught a lot of (big) fish on the braid which really surprised me given that this line is pretty visible and that the fish in this part of the lake do get some pressure...

Thoughts?
Which power/action was the Steez XT?

All I spool my reels with are braid due to not having to change out the line as often since it lasts a LONG time. Also since it has zero stretch, it's very sensitive and you can get a good hook set from a distance. If the fish are very finicky, then I'll tie on a fluorocarbon leader. You'll save a good amount of money from having to change out line every season with mono/fluoro as your main line.

Were you fishing in stained water or cover when fish were biting on braid?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:21 am

accodn2ryan wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:Today I had the chance to sneak out after work to get to the lake for some hours. I brought the following combos:

Here is what I found:

Thoughts?

All I spool my reels with are braid due to not having to change out the line as often since it lasts a LONG time. Also since it has zero stretch, it's very sensitive and you can get a good hook set from a distance. If the fish are very finicky, then I'll tie on a fluorocarbon leader. You'll save a good amount of money from having to change out line every season with mono/fluoro as your main line.

I was using the Daiwa Steez XT Casting Rod 7' Med Hvy. Yeah, I spend quite a bit on line. I think I will try to switch to braid + leader - just need to learn how to tie the FG Knot ;)

The water was clear (I would say 10 feet visibility at least).

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:36 am

freelancer27 wrote:
accodn2ryan wrote:

Here is what I found:

Thoughts?

I was using the Daiwa Steez XT Casting Rod 7' Med Hvy. Yeah, I spend quite a bit on line. I think I will try to switch to braid + leader - just need to learn how to tie the FG Knot ;)

The water was clear (I would say 10 feet visibility at least).
I've tied the FG knot like twice, but it just takes too long to tie, especially if you need to tie on the leader out on the water. I just use the Alberto/Improved Albright knot since it was the first connection knot I learned and just know how to tie it correctly fast. I've never had any issues with that breaking at the knot, the line will break before the knot does. I still want to be familiar with the FG knot though since it doesn't hurt to learn and get familiar with something new.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 am

I've tied the FG knot like twice, but it just takes too long to tie, especially if you need to tie on the leader out on the water. I just use the Alberto/Improved Albright knot since it was the first connection knot I learned and just know how to tie it correctly fast. I've never had any issues with that breaking at the knot, the line will break before the knot does. I still want to be familiar with the FG knot though since it doesn't hurt to learn and get familiar with something new.
I use the Double Uni know, though I do not like how it goes through the guides, hence the need to learn the FG knot.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:20 am

We've been on the water for a while and the LE is about 3/4 to me the 1oz is pushing it IMO.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 am

goldrod wrote:We've been on the water for a while and the LE is about 3/4 to me the 1oz is pushing it IMO.
Oh wow, the 7'4'' heavy is overpowered by 1 oz Jig?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:47 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
goldrod wrote:We've been on the water for a while and the LE is about 3/4 to me the 1oz is pushing it IMO.
I personally don't like the way it feels and I am the one who really likes this rod over my 894 nrx even . Maybe it just me or i've not been fishing for some time which i haven't been in over a month.. Clearly today wasn't my day..my wife broke a rod before I left home this morning and My son put on a clinic with a chatterbait..5#,3-3#ers

One thing about the LE is it has a tip. You can skip with it.. I am going to get some line and take pictures of the rod with a 1, 3/4, 5/8 and 1/2.. just so you can see it..It has plenty of backbone.. certainly but when I am in the pads, Iike the thicker stuff I opt for a faust or glx rod.. If you are casting than some sort of cover I can see it being great using casting or football jigs.. but I use it almost exclusively for 1/2 D/G flipping jigs ,5/8 casting dirty jigs and some custom deep throat owner hook jigs and lastly if I am using a punch skirt with 1/4oz tugsten weight..

Not to confuse you, But I personally don't see it as a heavy cover 1oz jig rod..
Thats just me.. would i cast a 1.oz football on it.. yes..does that make sense?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:28 pm

goldrod wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
I personally don't like the way it feels and I am the one who really likes this rod over my 894 nrx even . Maybe it just me or i've not been fishing for some time which i haven't been in over a month.. Clearly today wasn't my day..my wife broke a rod before I left home this morning and My son put on a clinic with a chatterbait..5#,3-3#ers

One thing about the LE is it has a tip. You can skip with it.. I am going to get some line and take pictures of the rod with a 1, 3/4, 5/8 and 1/2.. just so you can see it..It has plenty of backbone.. certainly but when I am in the pads, Iike the thicker stuff I opt for a faust or glx rod.. If you are casting than some sort of cover I can see it being great using casting or football jigs.. but I use it almost exclusively for 1/2 D/G flipping jigs ,5/8 casting dirty jigs and some custom deep throat owner hook jigs and lastly if I am using a punch skirt with 1/4oz tugsten weight..

Not to confuse you, But I personally don't see it as a heavy cover 1oz jig rod..
Thats just me.. would i cast a 1.oz football on it.. yes..does that make sense?
Thanks again for your reply.

Your wife braking a rod is technically the best thing that can happen! Now you have all the excuses in the world to get new gear! ;))) And your son owning you and fishing, there are worst things in the world for a dad! ;)

Yeah, I hear you on the rod. Great for 1oz Jigs if you only have to pull the lure and the fish and not X pounds of other salad/branches with it.

Since I am bankfishing for 99% of the time I do not get into much punching situations. So I should be ok.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Had the chance to fish the Elite 7'4 heavy for a few mins (30pound braid).

Long story short. The rod felt refined and the overall quality of the rod was great. Though I could not detect really much of a difference to my Okuma TCS (1/4 of the price of the rod) vs the Elite. Also the rod felt a bit too heavy for my liking in this price category. So, I am going to pass and wait to see what the St. Croix Legend X has to offer.