Need Input on Versatile / All Purpose Crankbait Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Crank Bass
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Need Input on Versatile / All Purpose Crankbait Rod

Post by Crank Bass » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:46 pm

I am in what seems like an impossible process to simplify and streamline by Rod/Reel setups. I am looking to go to more versatile or multi-purpose setups instead of very, very specific setups.

This post is about Crankbait / Lipless Crankbait rods.

I am looking for input on a versatile all around multi-purpose crankbait rod. What I would NOT throw on this is very small crankbaits or very large. The largest being a DT 16 or 6XD. Squarebills yes. Lipless baits yes.

Anyone else tried to do what I am attempting? Any input?

I was looking at the new Daiwa Tatula Elite Takahiro Omorio MH Crankbait rod. Looks like he uses that rod for exactly all of his cranking. Anyone tried it?

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need Input on Versatile / All Purpose Crankbait Rod

Post by kstephes033 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:15 pm

I have the MH Ehrler glass 7'4" rod, two actually, they have the same ratings but longer. That being said the Omori rod has a 2" shorter handle so the blank acts more like a 7'2" rod. The 7'4" i have used for chatterbaits, squarebills, wiggle warts/rock crawlers, up to 6XD's and it has handled everything well that i have put on there. I would imagine the omori rod will act very similar, personally i would want a little longer handle as i have to rip the bait a lot out of the weeds and like a little more length, other than that it should work quite well.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need Input on Versatile / All Purpose Crankbait Rod

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Where do you live? I live in northern Michigan and I use the 7ft Steez Fle-x-Lite for the uses you mentioned. If you live where the bug ones are OR, you fish for pike or other species, I'd go heavier.

Graphite will be more versatile. You could use it for whatever else as well. A medium fast graphite rod could do good if you use flourocarbon.

Depends if you rip through grass as well
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing