Looking for a spinning rod to throw larger baits (1/4-1/2)oz.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Looking for a spinning rod to throw larger baits (1/4-1/2)oz.

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm setting up a spinning rod to throw 5 and 6 inch paddle tail swimbaits on 1/4 -1/2 oz. jigheads, and maybe some mid sized crankbaits or jerkbaits when windy. It's baisically an experimental setup I'm putting together with a 4000 size shimano spinning reel. I usually look to St. Croix first and have eyed up the 7' MH fast avid rod. Any suggestions for what to try I will definitely appreciate. I usually like all my rods to have power combined with a parabolic bend. I'm also curious if anyone has tried the 7' MH zodias spin pole yet.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Looking for a spinning rod to throw larger baits (1/4-1/2)oz.

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:10 pm

I fish this way when the conditions call for it. Depending on the time of year, I can go a week or more without picking up a baitcaster even though they dominate my collection. It can be very effective and it's fun. When they are crushing lures, I use a st croix legend tournament TBS71MF. When I need to detect a delicate bite or watch the line, I use a legend elite ES76MF. I have no trouble throwing lures of the size you mention with these rods. All moving baits, usually underspins with a soft swinbait and shallow running, trebled hard plastics. Even jerks sometimes. The average bass I'm catching is 1-2, but I have hauled in several 6s and an 8 this way with these rods and 4000 sized shimanos with no more trouble than I would have with a baitcaster. Only drawback is distance. Some days the situation is perfect for a spinner and the only reason I don't pull it out is lack of distance compared to a baitcaster (I do a lot of bank fishing). Currently I'm scoping a couple of apia foojin AD sea bass rods for double duty for this bass application and shore fishing on the gulf. Long rods, but I love that they are two piece. One thing I'm also missing in my arsenal is a good traveler.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:53 pm

ZIL731MHFS MH F 7'3" 1 8 - 17 1/4 - 3/4 8

TAEL711MHFS Randy Howell POWERSPIN MH F 7'1" 1 6-14 1/4-3/4 Fuji®Alconite

my new favorite spinning rods!

I have the Avid rod that you mentioned and love it also

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:08 pm

If you are looking to do some research on the subject, check out what the guys here on the north/eastern Gulf coast are using inshore and nearshore for trout, redfish, snook and tarpon. Many of the things you are looking to do are exactly what they use them for, and those fish are bigger and fight much harder than bass. I only use baitcasters, but could see the need for spinning in some situations. Spinning rods rule the coast here, but more people everyday are starting to switch to baitcasters instead.