G-Rods Game Changer Rod thread

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

G-Rods Game Changer Rod thread

Post by Jrob » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Figured I would start this as a way for people to give their input on the new Game Changer rods by G-Rods International. I just got the 6'9"M casting (fast action all purpose medium) and 6'8"M (mod-fast medium jerkbait) rods. Build finish is as good as you will find IMO. JDM quality looks. A quick check of the tapers seem true to ratings. The 6'9" M really feels as though it can be a "search for the one" candidate. Action and power appear it will handle anything in its weight ratings. Not too stiff, not too soft.The 6'8" "jerkbait" feels unbelievably light in hand paired with my new Shimano Chronarch G series. I am always a fan of lighter rated rods and this one feels like a jewel. Balance with the Chronarch is right at reel foot behind the locking nut! I am already thinking this stick will also probably be my favorite speckled trout inshore rig as well!! Can't wait to hit the water! Stay tuned.

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: G-Rods Game Changer Rod thread

Post by Chicagoed » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:06 pm

First I hear of these. Look very interesting. I'd like to know how they compare are vs GLX and NRX. Looking forward to your review.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Yep only a few years have past since they came out at Icast. Tackle Warehouse carries the game changers. There are a few reviews on Tackle Warehouse already as well. The rods are amazing, but one call to the owner Glenn Miller sold me as well. The guy knows his stuff! Look up graphene and be wowed. The name is fitting , true "game changer" technology. I was blown away when I read up on graphene.

rich in co
Angler
Angler

Post by rich in co » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:51 am

G-Rods have peaked my interest, but have been hesitant in pulling the trigger on one since there are not a lot of reviews out there for the rod actions normally used for bottom contact most reviews are for moving bait actions. I think I might have to pick one up at TW sale and give it a go.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:18 pm

I fished the 68M "jerkbait" rod yesterday. Fantastic rod for light action applications. Nice moderate bend keeping the treble hooked baits pinned. I used topwater poppers, slash baits, weightless worms, and keitech ultralight jigs. No jerkbaits, ha! This rod handled bass to 4 lbs , white bass, and a few feisty 5+ lbs bowfin without issue. Rod loads nice and parabolic with power down low when I needed to move fish out of the rocks. I can see this one being a favorite casting rod for inshore speckled trout as well. Wish I could post pictures off my iPad easily! I have some cool pics of the rod under load. I can send some short video to an email if you PM me.

caoabunga
Angler
Angler

Post by caoabunga » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:32 am

Where are these G-Rods made? Strange how I can't seem to find it online or on their website...

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:28 am

Bought the game changer 7'11" crank bait rod but I haven't had a chance to use it.

Bought the Pro Bass 7'6" and 7'10", I have had an awesome time with 7'10".

That is all i can share with you all :).

Regards,
WW

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:26 am

TT previously did a review of a crankbait rod made by G-Rods. The review states they're made in China.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:22 pm

G-Rods International is based in Plano, Texas. Rods are made overseas. Game Changer Rods are sold at Tackle Warehouse. Also, if you go to their website there is a dealer page as well. TackleTour has reviewed a few of their sticks with good results. The Game Changer series got their "innovation" award, and the recent review of their Pro Bass finesse spinning stick was great. They are still not the easiest sticks to source as in they are not just sold everywhere. I have always had great success contacting them direct with stock questions. Heck, half the time the owner Glenn will even be the one you speak with. Great people!

rich in co
Angler
Angler

Post by rich in co » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Ok so ordered a G-Rod Game Changer 7' med hvy, and was able to put some turny time on the water with it this weekend.

For a comparison I used it against my ALX ZOLO's, I have the Toad face & Dragger and was looking to add a 7'ish rod to handle tubes T rigged worms or anything bottom contact in 3/16 to about 5/16 give or take, so I wanted to play with this rod to see if I could skip adding an ALX deputy.

The build is very nice, the guide train is straight nothing out of place. the guide are kinda big not micro for sure.

The rod looks great also not overly done cool enough for your buddies to ask what rod is that and want to check it out.

Balance it balanced right in front of the locking nut with a lew's TP, and a little closer with a Curado so for me it balances perfect

rod weight I didn't place it on a scale, but it wasn't has light in my hand as my 7'2" Toad face and no where close to a 7' Tatula

Sensitivity is very good, but not way above it's price point, it was just as sensitive as all the other rods in its price point I have used, but not in the NRX range of sensitivity

The rod action is stiff for a med hvy lots of tip and a boat load of back bone. it was the stiffest med hvy I have ever used it felt like it leaned towards a heavy action. I found it hard to cast 3/16 - 5/16 lures compared to all the other rods I have owned. ( Dyobins HP, NRX, Diawa tatula, Crono's, Zillion, 13 fishing, Powel.

the grip / locking nut is bigger than I expected it's the 1st rod I have ever used where after 30 or so min it became uncomfortable to me. I palm my reel where my index finger can touch the line, and i found it very uncomfortable. I used the rod with both a Lew TP & a Curado it was better with the TP since it has a smaller profile

Over all the rod is a very nice rod well worth it's price maybe worth a little more

jvanda1
Angler
Angler

Post by jvanda1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Jrob wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:22 pm
Figured I would start this as a way for people to give their input on the new Game Changer rods by G-Rods International. I just got the 6'9"M casting (fast action all purpose medium) and 6'8"M (mod-fast medium jerkbait) rods. Build finish is as good as you will find IMO. JDM quality looks. A quick check of the tapers seem true to ratings. The 6'9" M really feels as though it can be a "search for the one" candidate. Action and power appear it will handle anything in its weight ratings. Not too stiff, not too soft.The 6'8" "jerkbait" feels unbelievably light in hand paired with my new Shimano Chronarch G series. I am always a fan of lighter rated rods and this one feels like a jewel. Balance with the Chronarch is right at reel foot behind the locking nut! I am already thinking this stick will also probably be my favorite speckled trout inshore rig as well!! Can't wait to hit the water! Stay tuned.
Would you mind giving an updated review for the jerkbait rod? Compared to Eg expride? How’s the tip compare?
I have 3,g-rods (7’ cranking, 7’ MH, and 7’ spinning) and I absolutely love them all. But they are on the heavy side...which is one reason I hesitate to get for jerkbaits.

jvanda1
Angler
Angler

Post by jvanda1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:19 pm

tacklejunkie2 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:26 am
TT previously did a review of a crankbait rod made by G-Rods. The review states they're made in China.
This is false. All the important parts, blank/guides, are Japanese. Very high quality manufacturing.

jvanda1
Angler
Angler

Post by jvanda1 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:05 pm

Have they gone out of business?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:45 am

jvanda1 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:05 pm
Have they gone out of business?
Quite possibly gave 1 too many rods away to their YouTube "pro-team" members. Also, when you cannot find any information on where a rod is made (manufactured), it's not Made in Japan.