"Mag" BFS Casting Rod Input

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

"Mag" BFS Casting Rod Input

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:12 am

Guys,

Looking for some input on a mag finesse casting rod. Wanting something for small poppers, small jerkbaits, and finesse plastics like the ned rig. I have used a ML Majorcraft Speedstyle 6"4 ML casting rod but it feels to powerful for my liking plus the color scheme doesn't match. :lol: Below are the requirements I am looking for in said rod: :-k

1. Ability to cast baits between 1/8 and 1/4 oz
2. I would like the colors in the rod to match an Airy Red Pixy I recently acquired
3. Price would have to be under $200 purchased new or used
4. Would prefer not to have to source a rod internationally if possible due to warranty

Appreciate any feedback as this will be my first trip down the BFS road... 8-)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: "Mag" BFS Casting Rod Input

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:07 pm

What you're after is a USDM equivalent of a Volkey 68L. I'm not sure such a rod exists at the moment. The
Phenix Bass Recon Elite 6'8" light looks like the closest match.

Are the Zodias rods an option? Not exactly Airy Red colors but not much is to be honest. I have the 1610 ML is a capable mag BFS stick with a ton of power but it's not going to do a true 1/8 oz well and it's not all the great at it's 3/16 oz low end rating. I used my 1610 ML to throw 1/8 oz jig heads and 3-4 inch plastics and it works really well and I was always amazed at the power that rod has as a ML. Sounds like you ML Majorcraft fishes similarly and you're looking for something a slot under in power.

I don't have any experience with the 168L BFS two piece Zodias but it is rated down to 1/8 oz putting it below the 1610 in the line up and at a full power rating lighter should be better suited to ned rigs and sub 1/4 oz total package weight than a ML rod. I'm not sure if the 168L can be locally sourced with warranty though. The 1610ML is the lightest powered Zodias I have seen for sale by vendors in the states.

Is importing a $100 rod with no warranty an option? The Kuying Leadership LSC-722L is a 7'2'' light powered sea bass stick that is VERY similar in taper to a Majorcraft Volkey 68L which is the stick you're after. I have the 7'6'' version and it is a very nice stick for the money built out of great components. The tip is a little softer than the 68L Volkey but not as soft as the 65UL Volkey. The rod is soft enough for sub 1/8 oz work but is best around 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz total weight. The rod will run you a little over $100 shipped tyd on Aliexpress and is not going to be warrantied either. Like the Zodias ti's more PX Type R colored than Airy Red.

Kuying Leadership thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72913&p=600094&hil ... ip#p600094

Also, when you say 1/8 oz do you mean 1/8 oz hard baits like poppers and jerkbaits? 1/8 oz hardbaits are different ball game IMO. I prefer a trout rod over a BFS stick for the softer smaller diameter blank to help load up and launch tiny hard baits.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Likely have to import
JDM Daiwa Cronos would look good
Abu Garcia Hornet Stinger Plus
Tailwalk Fullrange

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Check out the 6'8" G-Rods Game Changer "jerkbait" Rod. Tackle Warehouse carries the rod. Will do everything your asking. Super light rod in hand as well. Black and carbon rod so it will match your reel too. I recently started a thread describing the rod and my first experience out with it. PM me your email and I can send you some short video and rod deflection pics under a decent fish. Great fun!

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:18 pm

JRob posted about the G-Rods jerkbait rod.

Looking at the G-Rod lineup, two other rods may meet the original poster's requirements:
1) 6-9 medium casting rod can handle 1/8
2) 7 ft. Med Cranking, down to 1/16"

The jerkbait spec says down to 1/4.

Why is the jerkbait rod preferred over the others?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Be careful with supposed low range limits of rods. Take their rating with a grain of salt. I' find any rod rated to throw 1/8 oz on the low end and rated to throw over 3/8 on the top end HIGHLY suspect. Most likely the 1/8 oz low end rating is bogus. My Volkey 68L is rated for 1/16 and there is no way it is going hit that. A "1/16" Bitsy Bug JIG for sure but not 1/16 total weight such as a Rebel Micro Critter or something. Even rods like the Tatula Megatop TAT6101MXB that make use of a solid carbon tip to cast down to their low end have limits. The 3/32 low end of that 3/32 to 3/4 rating is really only usable in roll casting and pitching.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:54 am

Having done some finesse fishing with a baitcaster,
I was skeptical myself about the very low ratings.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:32 am

LowRange wrote:Be careful with supposed low range limits of rods. Take their rating with a grain of salt. I' find any rod rated to throw 1/8 oz on the low end and rated to throw over 3/8 on the top end HIGHLY suspect. Most likely the 1/8 oz low end rating is bogus. My Volkey 68L is rated for 1/16 and there is no way it is going hit that. A "1/16" Bitsy Bug JIG for sure but not 1/16 total weight such as a Rebel Micro Critter or something. Even rods like the Tatula Megatop TAT6101MXB that make use of a solid carbon tip to cast down to their low end have limits. The 3/32 low end of that 3/32 to 3/4 rating is really only usable in roll casting and pitching.
I built a BFS rod on a ln MHX blank rated to 1/32. No way it's happening but, the rod is great for 4in senkos, smaller jerks, cranks, worms, whatever.

It's a shame I'm not using it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:00 pm

I haven't tried one, but you might want to check out on of the "old" Daiwa Airedge 662LB (BAIT FINESSE VERSATILE). The lure rating is 1/16 to 3/8 oz, which is a lighter lure rating than my Pixy rod. It's a two piece rod, which allows it to be shipped overseas for a cheap price. You may be able to find one on ebay for $200. I would put my airy red pixy on it. I've always liked the looks of this rod.

Info on the old version:
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... daiwa.html

Here's some info on the new Airedge E version. It looks like they only come in 1 pc models, and they changed up the entire rod line up (added Mega Top & Daiwa's unique variable taper to some of the rods).
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Schlag wrote:I haven't tried one, but you might want to check out on of the "old" Daiwa Airedge 662LB (BAIT FINESSE VERSATILE). The lure rating is 1/16 to 3/8 oz, which is a lighter lure rating than my Pixy rod. It's a two piece rod, which allows it to be shipped overseas for a cheap price. You may be able to find one on ebay for $200. I would put my airy red pixy on it. I've always liked the looks of this rod.

Info on the old version:
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... daiwa.html

Here's some info on the new Airedge E version. It looks like they only come in 1 pc models, and they changed up the entire rod line up (added Mega Top & Daiwa's unique variable taper to some of the rods).
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html
Throw some corks and a carbon handle on the Airy Red and it would look sharp on that older version of the rod.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 pm

I took the plunge and ordered the G-Rods Jerkbait rod from TW in their Labor Day sale.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 pm

BlaineFred wrote:I took the plunge and ordered the G-Rods Jerkbait rod from TW in their Labor Day sale.
Please let us know how you like it! I am mildly on the prowl for a new BFS rod and have not found a lot of info about that one.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Houndfish wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:I took the plunge and ordered the G-Rods Jerkbait rod from TW in their Labor Day sale.
Please let us know how you like it! I am mildly on the prowl for a new BFS rod and have not found a lot of info about that one.
Are we considering this BFS :-k?

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Having fished the G-rod, and seeing his wants/needs I believe he will be a happy camper. That said everyone has their own likes. I have always been a BFS fan and instantly loved the action of the game changer rod myself. Can't wait to hear how he likes the rod.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
Are we considering this BFS :-k?
I'm wondering the same thing. The mag BFS title may be a bit misleading but I fail to see how a M powered rod rated 1/4 to 5/8 oz fills the need of a BFS rod able to throw between 1/8 and 1/4 oz. OP clearly stated that he wants a rod for 1/4 oz and under work and been disappointed in the ML rod he currently has because it is too powerful.