"Mag" BFS Casting Rod Input

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: "Mag" BFS Casting Rod Input

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:39 pm

LowRange wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:I took the plunge and ordered the G-Rods Jerkbait rod from TW in their Labor Day sale.
Please let us know how you like it! I am mildly on the prowl for a new BFS rod and have not found a lot of info about that one.
Are we considering this BFS :-k?
I'm wondering the same thing. The mag BFS title may be a bit misleading but I fail to see how a M powered rod rated 1/4 to 5/8 oz fills the need of a BFS rod able to throw between 1/8 and 1/4 oz. OP clearly stated that he wants a rod for 1/4 oz and under work and been disappointed in the ML rod he currently has because it is too powerful.
The Phenix Recon ML comes to mind. Still wouldn't consider that a true BFS stick though.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:I took the plunge and ordered the G-Rods Jerkbait rod from TW in their Labor Day sale.
Please let us know how you like it! I am mildly on the prowl for a new BFS rod and have not found a lot of info about that one.
Are we considering this BFS :-k?
I'm wondering the same thing. The mag BFS title may be a bit misleading but I fail to see how a M powered rod rated 1/4 to 5/8 oz fills the need of a BFS rod able to throw between 1/8 and 1/4 oz. OP clearly stated that he wants a rod for 1/4 oz and under work and been disappointed in the ML rod he currently has because it is too powerful.
The Phenix Recon ML comes to mind. Still wouldn't consider that a true BFS stick though.
They have a Recon Elite 68L rated the same as most 68L BFS JDM sticks but higher on the high end. I would think that would be the closest a JDM L BFS. Kinda interested in it now but the last thing I need is another BFS stick.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:44 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advertising the G-rod as a true BFS stick. The title said "mag" BFS rod and listed things he would throw with the rod. It's also just as important to throw a BFS reel on any rod he chooses. I saw he was disappointed in the other being too powerful. The Grod has a fun moderate action that most US guys would probably consider a finesse rod. At the warranty request, price, etc he first asked I think the Grod can fill that need. At the end of the day a rod I fish and like another user may not. Good luck in the quest.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 am

Hogsticker2 wrote: Are we considering this BFS :-k?
Well, my personal definition is a casting rod that feels best with lures "lighter than a 4" senko", but to each their own. I also am very suspicious of rod ratings on both ends, so I would be more willing to take a chance on a rod if I can read a review of it first.

I bought a small digital scale last year and have been weighing my plastics, it was very surprising how heavy most of them are. I believe the lightest thing I found was a 4" Z-man Finesse worm on a #1 circle hook, which still came it right around 1/8oz. Tiny hardbaits are another matter, but for a primarily plastics bass rod, I don't think I would ever need to throw lower than 1/8oz.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 am

LowRange wrote: They have a Recon Elite 68L rated the same as most 68L BFS JDM sticks but higher on the high end. I would think that would be the closest a JDM L BFS. Kinda interested in it now but the last thing I need is another BFS stick.
I have a Recon2 68L that I use as my finesse casting rod. It is rated 1/16-3/8, but is really more like 1/8-3/8oz. It will load with an ~1/8oz inline spinner and a 5" senko w/ wacky hook feels a little heavy, but still casts well. I use it for a lot of different presentations, but mostly with weightless or lightly weighted soft plastics. This summer is has had a 1/16oz Slider head w/ a 6" Zoom Lizard or weightless Trick Worm on it most of the time.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 am

Houndfish wrote:
LowRange wrote: They have a Recon Elite 68L rated the same as most 68L BFS JDM sticks but higher on the high end. I would think that would be the closest a JDM L BFS. Kinda interested in it now but the last thing I need is another BFS stick.
I have a Recon2 68L that I use as my finesse casting rod. It is rated 1/16-3/8, but is really more like 1/8-3/8oz. It will load with an ~1/8oz inline spinner and a 5" senko w/ wacky hook feels a little heavy, but still casts well. I use it for a lot of different presentations, but mostly with weightless or lightly weighted soft plastics. This summer is has had a 1/16oz Slider head w/ a 6" Zoom Lizard or weightless Trick Worm on it most of the time.
Sounds like a USDM equivalent of a 68L Volkey. Nice. I'll keep this rod in mind if my Volkey dies.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions =D> . If there are any more feel free to add them as well. I am also toying with the idea of going custom build too. :-k

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:53 am

I am currently working on finding a UL stick for my Aldebaran MG. I am putting a Yumeya spool in it, to spool with some 6-8lb line. Currently running a 13 Defy M rod, and have grown to like the fun in this type of fishing. We have plenty of hard fighting Cichlids down here, and it can make a slow day of bass fishing a blast. Was considering a Dobyns 2 power in either the Champ or Extreme, but have looked at this Phenix y'all are talking about. I can get really good distance with the reel on the M Defy, so would the ML be better than the M in the Phenix? I get kinda gun shy with flimsy tips down here cause we got some explosive fish .
<")))><{

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:41 am

I ended up ordering a NFC IM DS 6'10 Mag Light blank to build on. Might have it but trimmed down. 8-)

Thanks for the sugguestions but wanting the blanks specs plus color to match was a tough task plus price point. A few of the suggested rods in this thread I thought would be great but just not a fan of the reel seet like the Phoenix Recons have even though I like the looks and blank/taper of the rods.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi all,

I am in the same boat. Looking for a BFS rod that I can throw true 1/16th lures on for bass fishing.

Looking at the three following models:

MS-X CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER MS-X
Length & Power:
6'5''+L
$274.99

$274.99

CORZZA CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER CORZZA
Length & Power:
6'5''+UL
$169.99

$169.99

SPEEDSTYLE CASTING
RODS FRESHWATER SPEEDSTYLE
Length & Power:
6'4''+L
$239.99

Any thoughts on this?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:45 pm

The blank on the MS-X is noticeably better than that of the Corzza. I can't speak on the Speedstyles, but I believe they were built for strength.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:The blank on the MS-X is noticeably better than that of the Corzza. I can't speak on the Speedstyles, but I believe they were built for strength.
Thanks!

Question is now to get the 1/32 or the 1/16 version of the MS-X. I really would like to throw true 1/16 lures and just not sure how about the rod's true rating.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:43 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:The blank on the MS-X is noticeably better than that of the Corzza. I can't speak on the Speedstyles, but I believe they were built for strength.
Thanks!

Question is now to get the 1/32 or the 1/16 version of the MS-X. I really would like to throw true 1/16 lures and just not sure how about the rod's true rating.
I'd go with the 1/32oz. That way, 1/16 has a better chance of being the rods "sweet spot".

Check this rod out:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=76532&p=612553&hilit=Volkey#p612553

The Volkey is a steal
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Oh man, I keep slapping my hand away from the mouse but I am not sure how long I can keep it up, someone needs to buy that thing.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Oh man, I keep slapping my hand away from the mouse but I am not sure how long I can keep it up, someone needs to buy that thing.
Me too

I got a better than new Alphas AIR I may need a home for if I can't sell it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing