New Loomis GLX 853c

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Loomis GLX 853c

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 am

I sold my NRX 853C JWR that I had for for five years. I liked that rod, but was intrigued by the new Conquest. I have ordered one and I’m not sure that I like it. I could order the same NRX I had, but I am inclined to try a GLX 853c. I have the new GLX spinning rods and I like them very much. I have heard that the new GLX rods are very close to the NRX in terms of sensitivity. I have also read on the Tackle Tour review that they are a little softer in action then their predecessors. I fish mainly 3/8 jigs with some 1/2 and 1/4 occasionally in the mix. Does anyone have experience using the new GLX 853c for those applications? Would it be powerful enough? It would wonderful to hear from G. Loomis users with experience with the new GLX and the NRX.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Loomis GLX 853c

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:24 am

With some of the NRX prices I've seen, you can get an NRX for about 390 bucks brand new.

I am also eyeing up either the Conquest or NRX in the same range. (7' 3 power).
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:08 am

I've got the new GLX 853c, got it from ccass actually :lol:. I've use it for mainly 1/4oz and 3/8oz t-rigs and jigs but I have used it a few times for a 1/2oz football jig + trailer, worked fine for all the above. If you fish it in heavy cover I'd probably go with the 854c. I've used the 853 around standing timber and heavy milfoil and sometimes I wished it were a hair heavier to move the fish easier but it still got the job done.

As far as sensitivity to the NRX line, I have an 843c NRX and I'd say the GLX sensitivity is right there with it. I have both rods strung with 16lb sniper, Metanium MGL on the GLX and Chronarch MGL on the NRX. I can feel t-rigs and jigs inhaled on the fall on decently long casts on semi slack line, can feel the bait hit bottom too. Similar amounts of transfer of the bottom structure through the rod. I'd only really give the edge to the NRX in weight, and what is effortless "swing weight" in casting. Really feels like nothing when casting it.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:11 am

Mike son wrote:I've got the new GLX 853c, got it from ccass actually :lol:. I've use it for mainly 1/4oz and 3/8oz t-rigs and jigs but I have used it a few times for a 1/2oz football jig + trailer, worked fine for all the above. If you fish it in heavy cover I'd probably go with the 854c. I've used the 853 around standing timber and heavy milfoil and sometimes I wished it were a hair heavier to move the fish easier but it still got the job done.

As far as sensitivity to the NRX line, I have an 843c NRX and I'd say the GLX sensitivity is right there with it. I have both rods strung with 16lb sniper, Metanium MGL on the GLX and Chronarch MGL on the NRX. I can feel t-rigs and jigs inhaled on the fall on decently long casts on semi slack line, can feel the bait hit bottom too. Similar amounts of transfer of the bottom structure through the rod. I'd only really give the edge to the NRX in weight, and what is effortless "swing weight" in casting. Really feels like nothing when casting it.
This may sound crazy but the Metanium will give advantage to a rod because of the material used. I have tested same rods, line, lures and the only difference being a metanium based reel vs. alum or CI4. Metanium material gets the nod. I have Met based reels on all my bottom bouncing rigs. My estimation is that the size of the difference is roughly whatever difference exists between a GLX and NRX.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

Mike son wrote:I've got the new GLX 853c, got it from ccass actually :lol:.
I remember that. Felt like a great rod (never fished it) but, I could not choose it over the Archangel, which is now sold ](*,) . I am using a custom K2 714 at the moment for T rigs.
Last edited by Hobie-Wan Kenobi on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

JAB50
Angler
Angler

Post by JAB50 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm

I have the GLX853c. I use it for 3/16oz texas rigged baits along with 1/4oz-3/8oz jigs. I agree 100% with Mike son's response to a tee! I have it paired up with a chronarch mgl xg and sniper 12lb flouro! One of my favorite setups! Where Mike son mentions going up to possibly to the GLX854 if your fishing around heavier cover and for me throwing a 3/8oz jig with a trailer; he's spot on. It seems at its max around the 3/8oz with a trailer of fishing in heavier cover or timber! I use my glx844 or Kistler H3 7'3H xfast for that stuff!

lperry
Angler
Angler

Post by lperry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 am

Rodster you say you ordered a conquest and not sure you like it. Have you fished it and if so what do you not like about it?

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:22 am

lperry wrote:Rodster you say you ordered a conquest and not sure you like it. Have you fished it and if so what do you not like about it?
I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts on what you didn't like...

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:05 am

I did order a 843c Conquest. It is taking some getting used to. I fished a jig for so long on my NRX, I was used to it. The taper is slower and softer than the NRX 853c I had before. The Conquest is sensitive, but it just feels different. I don’t know how to explain it, but the Tackle Tour review sort of indicated that. It is lighter, balances better and is more comfortable. The guides aren’t as noisy with braid (no recoils) and it casts very well. I suspect that once I get used to, I will really like it. I will be able to use it for a lot more techniques. I hope that helps.