One piece rod made into a 2 piece

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

One piece rod made into a 2 piece

Post by tditox4 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Has anyone on this forum had a one piece baitcast rod made into a 2 piece , 50/50 split ? If so, who did the work, are you happy with the results ?, etc. I was told by a guy named Ray at Hook,line and Sinker tackle shop in Guelph,Ontario that it can not be done . I think it can , so I am sceptical of his reply. I know that there are at least two type of ferrules , the european type and north american type. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks , forum members. [-o<

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: One piece rod made into a 2 piece

Post by Slazmo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:51 am

Can be done with an internal ferrule slid inside the bottom half and some careful measuring and tapering of the ferrule itself to fit and about 1 cm or less left on the ferrule for eventual wear og the top section.

Some outer gusseting of the top half would be a smart option rather than just binding it like most factory rods.

Some will just scream "no" to the process and say that'll ruin the action of the blank. Its all subjective to the end user imho.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:21 am

Yes it can be done. I've turned several factory rods into 2-piece rods. I build a sleeve over ferrule.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:49 am

Mattman, what would that cost me , per rod?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Well heck look what I stumbled upon here, count me in on that as well!! also would it be possible to do a four-piece configuration Allah some of the Megabass rods I like? Would love a four-piece heavier or M/H Megabass rod :big grin:

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:55 am

tditox4 wrote:Mattman, what would that cost me , per rod?
That's highly variable depending on what needs to happen, if guides need to be re positioned, etc. Just off the cuff, I'd expect a minimum of $100.

Shoot me an email if you'd like to discuss further. otterods@hotmail.com
Matt Davis

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:10 am

Cristo wrote:Well heck look what I stumbled upon here, count me in on that as well!! also would it be possible to do a four-piece configuration Allah some of the Megabass rods I like? Would love a four-piece heavier or M/H Megabass rod :big grin:

Sure. Anything is possible. Quite a bit of work. But it could be done. Doing a 3-piece would help keep the cost down.
Matt Davis

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 pm

St Croix has always made 2 piece bass rods in spinning and casting models. MH, high modulus? It's in there. CTS makes blanks multi-piece in just about any style, or configuration. My 3 piece peacock bass rods are built on standard production blanks from Batson/Rainshadow.