Whose on top!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Whose on top!

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Rod wars are a constant thing in my mind. What makes you buy more than one model of a certain manufacturer line up is the principal thing. I told myself that I would not buy a MB rod long ago but since then I've brought a few conversely I didnt like the MH Helium 3 rod but when I got the Heavy I was blown away. Of course I still have my middle of the road rods gen 1 cumara's and loomis IMX the previous generation. Withe the introduction of the Conquest rods I felt like they were completely out of reach for me until i saw one of my custom rod receipts or my NRX and St. Croix LE rods on the rack.

For 2018 Whose on top of your list of rods to buy? I saw a loomis 843 cb rod used for sale that peeked my interest but so did the Abu Fantastia rod, and the Tatula elite AGS Brent Ehrler rod that was on here but I procrastinated due to uncertainty and let it slip from my hands yet it still is on my list.. The F8-79 XX rod is on sale and I have a love of flipping sticks so its sorta on the radar...

What about you guys.. Is it the new Conquest that tops your list or something else?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Whose on top!

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:29 pm

i tend to buy rods that fit a need related to learning a new technique or fishing waters that require different approaches. When the next need jumps up I would consider the conquest and others. Recently I was in need of a long cb rod to throw traps and topwaters. Went into the TT archives and found a rod reviewed about 2 years ago that looked like what I need. not as sexy as buying the new thing but works for me.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:52 pm

DavidSA wrote:i tend to buy rods that fit a need related to learning a new technique or fishing waters that require different approaches. When the next need jumps up I would consider the conquest and others. Recently I was in need of a long cb rod to throw traps and topwaters. Went into the TT archives and found a rod reviewed about 2 years ago that looked like what I need. not as sexy as buying the new thing but works for me.

When I go to the archives that really helps me.. Ive not brought many sticks that were on the top of my list..
But I definitely understand what your staying in that you buy rod related towards the tech your learning.. I found myself doing that as well but there have been some impulsive buys..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:30 pm

DavidSA wrote:i tend to buy rods that fit a need related to learning a new technique or fishing waters that require different approaches.
This is more or less how I do it. My collection expanded quite a bit this past season as I was trying to focus on learning a few different presentations and ended up buying rods for the ones I ended up really liking.

This coming year I am looking to pick up a few rods for sure;

Avid AVC62MXF: I want to try an xf rod for jerkbaits in the winter and tubes/small jigs the rest of the year. I have an xf spinning rod already but want to try a casting rod as well as my wife tends to use the spinner when she goes wading with me. It is at the price point I like for kayak use and I hope it can replace a imx cr721 in my kayak lineup.

Some kind of F or XF ultralight spinning rod: I have a bfs trout rod that I like a lot for spinners and cranks, but I want something for tiny jigs and plastics. I am becoming a big fussy baby about spinning rod ergonomics, so it will likely be a custom.

Other than those two, I have my eye on picking up a NRX JWR, but I am not in a huge hurry for that. The relaunch of the megabass XX line is likely to suck up all my fun money as I was able to restrain myself from buying a bunch of the old ones when they were on sale.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:44 pm

I just said foolery and brought a rod on a whim..specs look good but ill know for sure when i get it.. two day shipping from twh never is two day shipping.. I did read a review that this med action exfast rod was used for red fish which is what prompted me to buy it.. Not at all what i needed but in keeping with the reason why to buy a rod i went with this rod because i've been looking for that rod for light trig fishing that is versatile yet has a back bone.. i will be able to tell you all what it is when i get it..

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:32 pm

I'm thinking about a top of the line dedicated shakey head rod. Possibly even a custom.

Also, I've had my eye on the Megabass Javelin. Certainly don't need it, but that usually doesn't stop me! :?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 pm

I have the Conquest 902s, 903c, 904c, and 905c that I'm putting in some time with over the winter. So far, I'm impressed with the rods, and look forward to spending a lot more time with them to get to know them better. I have a full season in with the 2017 US Destroyer rods by Megabass and they knocked it out of the park with that line up at the slightly above IMX-PRO well below GLX price point as a reference. There are some real gems in that series. Tigerbass - just get a Javelin, that rod is incredible. Anyone who loves the Nautilus or missed out on one will appreciate this rod.

2018 will bring about a revamped Megabass XX series, and in keeping with their similar price point which is what I'd expect to see, I'm excited about those and plan to have a bunch to fish with this spring (hopefully :lol: ).
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:54 pm

I need conquest rods and more Megabass...

I do however want to try a Gan Craft rod.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I need conquest rods and more Megabass...

I do however want to try a Gan Craft rod.
I got a Conquest from The Tackle Trap. Sweet rod. I only have used 1 Megabass rod so far, the X7 Destruction. The Megabass bait monkey has been trying ever so vigilantly tugging at my wallet though.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:29 pm

I just need more money to afford more Megabass rods...

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Looking at a xpride 7'3" XH. I've heard it is a standout rod in what is a very good line up. I had a blast punching and frogging last year, so naturally I need another combo for it.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 pm

This year I am Going for a conquest rod probably a 7 footer, always wanted a steez compile x so maybe one of those as well

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:59 am

j2015 wrote:This year I am Going for a conquest rod probably a 7 footer, always wanted a steez compile x so maybe one of those as well
Combine the 2 choices and get a Steez Racing Design. Absolutely sick looking rods.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 am

ccass wrote:
j2015 wrote:This year I am Going for a conquest rod probably a 7 footer, always wanted a steez compile x so maybe one of those as well
Combine the 2 choices and get a Steez Racing Design. Absolutely sick looking rods.
I like the way you think!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:11 am

ccass wrote:
i love the looks of that rod, more so than any rod i’ve seen. i can’t imagine what it looks like in person