What is the Tatula SV of rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What is the Tatula SV of rods?

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:08 pm

I picked up a Tatula SV recently and am looking for a rod to pair with it. I'm looking for something that is similar to the tat sv in that it a workhorse that fishes above its price point and offers good performnce. Bonus points if it the rod has some silver or purple to match the reel. I'm looking for a MH or H rod to skip jigs and plastics fishing docks.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is the Tatula SV of rods?

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 pm

First thing that came to mind was something like the spinnerbait special in the Orichi XX line. With those rods being discontinued I am not sure how easy it is find one new but perhaps second hand.

There is always a custom build to when all other hope is gone for production rods.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:10 am

I picked up a tat sv also and looking for a cheaper rod for it. Im between the original tatula 6'10" m or mh and a hammer rod. I've been reading the hype on those 2 over the past couple years and haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I wish i could feel a hammer before purchasing it. No one i fish with uses them but i read so many praises on the web.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:First thing that came to mind was something like the spinnerbait special in the Orichi XX line. With those rods being discontinued I am not sure how easy it is find one new but perhaps second hand.

There is always a custom build to when all other hope is gone for production rods.
X2. The xx line is a great rod, especially at these clearance prices if you can still find one. Build quality is exceptional. Highly reccomended.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 am

OG Tatula rods. Just as the Tatula SV offers Daiwas SV technology at a value price, the OG Tatula rods offer Daiwas SVF technology at a value price. What's wrapped around those two special technologies isn't as good as higher end models, but you're still getting the more important end of the good life.
I still haven't used a Hammer rod, but all reviews point towards another optimal bang for your buck kinda deal.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 pm

I have a Tat sv as well that has a orochi xx Japan edition spinnerbait special coming tomorrow it will be paired with. Hopefully it will feel balanced !

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:OG Tatula rods. Just as the Tatula SV offers Daiwas SV technology at a value price, the OG Tatula rods offer Daiwas SVF technology at a value price. What's wrapped around those two special technologies isn't as good as higher end models, but you're still getting the more important end of the good life.
I still haven't used a Hammer rod, but all reviews point towards another optimal bang for your buck kinda deal.
I'm inclined to echo this. I have 2 original Tatula rods and they punch way above their price point. Not to mention the taper is extremely versatile, and the grips are comfy. I have the 7' M and the 7' ML and both are very fun, versatile rods to fish. If I needed a new rod, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:33 am

bronzebacks wrote:I picked up a tat sv also and looking for a cheaper rod for it. Im between the original tatula 6'10" m or mh and a hammer rod. I've been reading the hype on those 2 over the past couple years and haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I wish i could feel a hammer before purchasing it. No one i fish with uses them but i read so many praises on the web.
The OG tats are awesome rods. I have several, including the two you're thinking about.

The MH is a very capable all-rounder. It balances great. It's probably the most versatile of the entire line. It's lighter in power than the typical Daiwa MH and has a sweet tip and taper. I typically use mine for 1/8 oz t-rigs, but it works just as well for jigs up to 1/4+plastic, 1/2 oz squarebills and jerkbaits, sleeker double-willow spinnerbaits and swim jigs up to 1/4. Since it's a jack-of-all-trades type rod, I use a 6.3 zillion SV spooled with 12# Invizx. With mono or braid it would make a great topwater rod for poppers and smaller walking baits.

The M is quite a unique stick. It has a solid tip, which makes the action ultra-fast. The backbone is what you'd expect from a Daiwa medium. It's the thinnest, lightest, and best balanced of all the Tatulas I've used (everything except the 7'4" H, 7' M, 7' ML, 7'2" H). The solid tip makes it easy to flick light baits out there, and if you keep an eye on it, there is no question when you get a bite because it's so flexible. It's best for finesse bottom contact stuff, especially deadsticking senkos and the like, and finesse jigs, including Keitech's Model II Football Jig, but I also like it for light poppers and jerkbaits like the vision 110 Jr. It's well balanced with an Alphas SV. 8-10# fluoro seems to be the sweet spot as far as line is concerned.
This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:53 am

poisonokie wrote:
bronzebacks wrote:I picked up a tat sv also and looking for a cheaper rod for it. Im between the original tatula 6'10" m or mh and a hammer rod. I've been reading the hype on those 2 over the past couple years and haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I wish i could feel a hammer before purchasing it. No one i fish with uses them but i read so many praises on the web.
The OG tats are awesome rods. I have several, including the two you're thinking about.

The MH is a very capable all-rounder. It balances great. It's probably the most versatile of the entire line. It's lighter in power than the typical Daiwa MH and has a sweet tip and taper. I typically use mine for 1/8 oz t-rigs, but it works just as well for jigs up to 1/4+plastic, 1/2 oz squarebills and jerkbaits, sleeker double-willow spinnerbaits and swim jigs up to 1/4. Since it's a jack-of-all-trades type rod, I use a 6.3 zillion SV spooled with 12# Invizx. With mono or braid it would make a great topwater rod for poppers and smaller walking baits.

The M is quite a unique stick. It has a solid tip, which makes the action ultra-fast. The backbone is what you'd expect from a Daiwa medium. It's the thinnest, lightest, and best balanced of all the Tatulas I've used (everything except the 7'4" H, 7' M, 7' ML, 7'2" H). The solid tip makes it easy to flick light baits out there, and if you keep an eye on it, there is no question when you get a bite because it's so flexible. It's best for finesse bottom contact stuff, especially deadsticking senkos and the like, and finesse jigs, including Keitech's Model II Football Jig, but I also like it for light poppers and jerkbaits like the vision 110 Jr. It's well balanced with an Alphas SV. 8-10# fluoro seems to be the sweet spot as far as line is concerned.
Nice!

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 am

poisonokie wrote:

Sweet thanks

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:11 pm

I’d have to say Megabass Orochi XX Diablo Spec R, I love this rod, likely my most versatile stick. And I think the XX series were a great value and punched of there weight for sure.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 pm

I took a bit of Japanese back in the day.

Tatula is Japanese for "bang for your buck"
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:16 am

poisonokie wrote:The M is quite a unique stick. It has a solid tip, which makes the action ultra-fast.
The medium casting rod has a solid tip...? I didn't realize that at all, that's pretty cool!

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 am

I would look for one of the old LT daiwa rods if you're wanting it to have silver and purple highlights. Also the 7' H action regular bend was and is one the greatest jig rods ever. The newer Daiwa rods are lighter and bit more sensitive but I still reach for my old LT rods and I got both a Tatula and a newer Zillion.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Great info eveyone. The Light and Tough looks really interesting. I really like the OG Tatula rods but I have to get a Tat CT CS or Morethan PE to match. Don't know why Daiwa does not match their reels to their rods.

I've always been curious about the current gen Mojo rods but know know anything about them.