Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

Post by Taxin That Bass » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am

I have an avenue where i can get a GLX at a discount, so the discussion is around that model.

For the last 15 years, i have used a 7'MH st. croix avid for my pitching rod. It does 85% t rigs or jigs between 5/16 and 3/8, remaining 15% i will get to a 1/2 oz if i'm fishing deeper weeds or a lot of current. It's been a great rod, have caught more fish on that rod than any other rod that i own. It's not sexy, its not the lightest or most sensitive or best balanced thing in the world but its sensitive enough and has the right action that i like for pitching. What i'm looking for is a GLX that is approximately the same length, with similar action. My assumption is that the GLX should be a lot more sensitive than the avid and thats what i'm looking for. Let me know what you guys think. Also, most of my other rods are Dobyns and i haven't found one that really gets close in that length....closest i can figure is my 744 champ but thats just a little too long for pitching for me.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Loomis Noob, looking for GLX help

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am

GLX853C fits nicely or probably a GLX844C

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 am

Id consider these

I'd recommend feeling of them first tho,
I feel like the reel seat is a bit farther forward on the glx making it fish an inch or so shorter than they actually are.
Also I think the power rating is a bit heavier than they are. For ex a med hvy may be a bit lighter than other brand med hvy

Also the 843 / 844 are fast action
the 853 is x fast

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:09 pm

I have a 783mbr and other than the handle being about 2 or 3 inches longer that I want to be, I have no complaints with it. I also just picked up an avid 62M/XF and was shocked at how close it felt in sensitivity to the GLX. Same real, same line, same jig, dragged across the same little stretch of bottom, it was pretty surprising how close the two rods felt. The GLX definitely gave more feedback on the softer parts of the bottom and I could definitely feel brush and other cover like that more distinctly, but on the hard bottom or along riprap, they were almost neck and neck.

NHBull
Angler
Angler

Post by NHBull » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:47 pm

The GLX worm and jig rods may be the best band for the buck out there....Love mine, and considering a GLX flipping stick.
You will not regret it! That said in the MBR GLX is a different animal and is more universal in nature.
Son of "Tun"

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 am

I have the new GLX's in 853 and 844. Try to handle them if haven't already. I'd agree with arrowslinger that they do feel a little lighter than their ratings, at least the 853 does to me. Though sometimes I don't realize how much I can lean into it, I think it has to do with the fact that they are so light. IIRC St. Croix is actually a little heavier in their ratings. Some also don't like the reel seat on the new GLX but I'm fine with it. I use the 853 with fluoro for casting and pitching 1/4-3/8oz t-rigs and jigs and it works fine. Has the power to move northern bass from moderate cover when needed. I use the 844 for 1/2oz jigs and trigs on fluoro as well as frogs and weightless horny toads on braid. It has the power but not everyone might like the MBR taper if you haven't fished with one.

Taxin', I think if you're just pitching the 853 would be fine for 1/2oz but it would really depend on the cover. They do make the 854 jwr with a traditional fast taper that hasn't been mentioned here yet. Rereading your post, you mentioned deep weeds and current and similar action to the avid you have, all things considered I'd lean toward the 854 rated 5/16-3/4oz. I think you'd be better off with the extra power than lacking it when needed. I haven't fished one but someone else might be able to chime in on it.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 pm

I would look at the 853 for those purposes, and possibly the 843. The 853 will handle the 1/2 oz jigs better but will still be at home in the 5/16 range. If you were mainly throwing 1/2 oz I would say get the 844...but since 85% of the Work will be done in the wheelhouse if the 853 I would recommend it. The 853will throw 1/2 oz jigs fine, where the 843can handle them but feels a little overloaded. The 854 would be overkill for sure trying to pitch lighter baits.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:32 am

Thank you everyone for the input, i'm thinking i will go with the 853.

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Post by surf n turf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:21 am

Not sure if you already bought it but the 844 is going to be a lot closer in power to the SC 7'mh.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:29 am

I was at Cabelas yesterday and had a chance to handle the 853 GLX...I had been told the new GLX was less powerful than the old, but still stiffer than the NRX, which is what I based my breakdown on. I still would probably go with it as it really had “it” feel...but I will say my NRX 853 is 1/4 to 1/2 Power stouter in my hands. Still wouldn’t hesitate to use it for the above mentioned techs but the 844 could definitely work too. I would still not get the 854. Now that I’ve seen the 853 GLX in person I’m actually considering buying one and selling my NRX. I just like the feel of that rod, it’s less crazy fast than the NRX.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:16 am

St. Croix MH is equivalent to a Loomis 4 power rod in my opinion. I would not recommend a 3 power to fish in place of a MH Avid, I think you would feel the lack of power and want to bump up. I would have no qualm suggesting the classic MBR 844 as it has a softer tip than the JWR 854 and lends itself to more types of presentations than the bottom contact rod. It would fish closer in power to the Avid you are accustomed to.