Edge inshore 6'6" light

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Edge inshore 6'6" light

Post by Winstondry » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:46 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Winstondry wrote:Not the exact rod, but I have the Edge Black Widow version 6'10" DSR 6101-1 paired with an Exist 1025 that is an awesome combo!
Is the handle on the black widow not the sheet?! Reminds me of my old lamiglas xmg 50 that I loved and lost in my divorce. Not sure what is going on with edge, but I'll pay $300 for another 8' heavy/mod if tw still has one in December.
Edge is still making rods, albeit very slow at times. They've had a 50% off sale in the beginning of November last year and then again in February this year. While not nearly as good a deal as Sierratradingpost.com, at least you know if the rod is broken in transit, you'll be able to get a replacement.

As for the handles on the Black Widows, yes, they are very similar to Lamiglas handles. I like them better though because of the Wiebe style locking nut, but that same nut will also scratch the reel foot unless you protect them which I do.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Looks like I picked up the last one this afternoon. :big grin: When I looked, it said "hurry, last one!". The original Phenix UMBX had a very similar reel seat to this one, only it was a split seat. The trigger part was offset of the center and I loved everything about it-except that it was a split seat. It appears that I have found the answer I was looking for in this reel seat. Does anyone know if the seat is still available as a separate component to build custom rods with?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 pm

There is a 7'3" ML Mag Bass rod still in stock for $230. I almost wish I had looked before I bought the 6'6" rod. =P~
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:50 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:There is a 7'3" ML Mag Bass rod still in stock for $230. I almost wish I had looked before I bought the 6'6" rod. =P~
I have one of those Tim, great rod! I'm trying to hold off from getting another as the price on it keeps calling my name!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Winstondry wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:There is a 7'3" ML Mag Bass rod still in stock for $230. I almost wish I had looked before I bought the 6'6" rod. =P~
I have one of those Tim, great rod! I'm trying to hold off from getting another as the price on it keeps calling my name!
I'm liking the full rear carbon grip, too. 8-[

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 pm

DO IT!
She will never notice.................... :D
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:44 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Winstondry wrote:
I'm liking the full rear carbon grip, too. 8-[
Now that you mention it, all my Edge Black Widows are full grip handles, no split grips. I have to say I prefer them that way too. While some may not like the thought of carbon grips, I really like them. They're not slippery at all when wet (I fished in the rain a couple weekends ago) and I even feel like they lend themselves to sensitivity vs cork or foam which seem to absorb shock. Then again, they may not do anything but add bling, in any case, I like them!

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:39 am

Winstondry wrote:
I have had my eye on this one too, but the rod in the picture says LMX and after doing some research I think that it’s onenof their Delta blanks, which doesn’t make a lot of sense. Delta blanks are $50 right now and to use that for a $500 rod is weird. I have to be wrong, right? What techniques do you use the rod for and what reel do you have on it?

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:10 am

You're right, I honestly hadn't paid that close attention, now I'm going to have to see what the blanks are on the Black Widow rods I have. As for what I'm using them for, all have been for contact baits.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:14 am

I still haven't had a chance to take a look at my rods, but I noticed the edgerods.com website has updated their BASS rods page to state they are using LMX materials in their rods. I also noticed they dropped the prices for the Black Widow to $350 and First Strike to $225.

One other thing to note regarding the Sierratradingpost.com rod, while I can't make out the model info from the photo, I also noticed that the rod in the photo doesn't have the Wiebe style locking nut so I wonder if what they're showing is accurate?

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Winstondry wrote:I still haven't had a chance to take a look at my rods, but I noticed the edgerods.com website has updated their BASS rods page to state they are using LMX materials in their rods. I also noticed they dropped the prices for the Black Widow to $350 and First Strike to $225.

One other thing to note regarding the Sierratradingpost.com rod, while I can't make out the model info from the photo, I also noticed that the rod in the photo doesn't have the Wiebe style locking nut so I wonder if what they're showing is accurate?
I found that the LMX blank with the carbon fiber down locking hood is on the Steelhead series of Black Widow Rods. They don’t currently show a 7’3” Steelhead model on the edge rods website so I’m assuming they just used the wrong picture on Sierra Trading. Still curious if the blank is IM or HM.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:58 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:DO IT!
She will never notice.................... :D
Oh yes she will. She keeps that bank account balanced, writes down every transaction in a checkbook, as if she ever writes a check anymore! :lol: And she calls the bank every week to make sure everything is correct.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:49 pm

I got mine in today. Fantastic quality rod. Very light in hand. Initial load test appears to be a true x-fast action. Can't wait to get some time with this rod. Bought it mainly for sea trout and BFS bass work

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 pm

jrob- What is the model # on the rod that arrived?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:47 am

1nutinthewater wrote:jrob- What is the model # on the rod that arrived?
I’ll look when I get home for the exact model number. It’s the 6’6” L inshore casting rod.