Advice for a 1/2oz jig rod and some long-winded musings.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Advice for a 1/2oz jig rod and some long-winded musings.

Post by Houndfish » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:36 am

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the FMJ. It arrived today and out of the tube I am really impressed. It is crazy light and with an sv103 on it, it is ever so slightly butt-heavy, which is exactly what I wanted. I can get a really comfortable grip on the reel/seat and even manage to get my finger in front of the line guide. In my very informal sensitivity test (dragging a tungsten weight across my gravel driveway) the rod shines and while due to line differences it's not a 1:1 test, it feels close enough to my GLX that I can't really notice a difference. The blank does feel "weird", like it's made of aircraft cable that is under tension. I think it's due to it being so light but powerful, the first time I tested the action I wanted to put goggles on in case it shattered. My only other rods around it's power level are far heavier, so I think it's just in my head, but the rod feels so light in the hand it's hard to believe the power is there.

I should be able to get it out on the water tomorrow morning before work and I am super excited. Thanks for the advice everyone!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Advice for a 1/2oz jig rod and some long-winded musings.

Post by bronzefly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:42 am

Excellent call on the FMJ. I think you'll really enjoy the rod and hope to hear your impressions after you've fished it. The first thing that struck me was how light yet balanced and powerful it is... then I fished it and :big grin:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap