Tatula Elite AGS M/MH for Jerkbait?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tatula Elite AGS M/MH for Jerkbait?

Post by reason162 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 am

I'm looking for a jerkbait rod, with 2 caveats: I fish from a kayak sitting down, so I'm working the rod side-sweep. 7' is fine.

I also replace both trebles with owner inline singles, so I'm figuring a slightly heavier action rod would be better suited than the normal ML for finesse trebles? I might want to throw 4/5" easy shiners on 1/4oz ballheads as well, but hard jerkbaits is the primary focus.

Any thoughts re the M/MH ags vs the actual jerkbait models in the lineup, ie 6'9/7' ML Elites would be appreciated.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tatula Elite AGS M/MH for Jerkbait?

Post by Schlag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 am

I kayak fish, and use to own the AGS rod you mentioned. It worked great for light 3/16 to 3/8 jigs. It also did fine working a Pointer 100sp, but it's not a jerkbait rod. I would look for something else.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 pm

Schlag wrote:It also did fine working a Pointer 100sp, but it's not a jerkbait rod.
Thanks. Was it the length or action that disqualifies this as a jerkbait rod for you? was it pulling out trebles?

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue May 01, 2018 12:09 pm

The M/MH is a little on the stiffer side for a M/MH it is great for bottom contact and I do use it for flukes but with hard jerkbaits and I can see pulling the trebles might be an issue. I use the Steez XT M for my jerkbaits and it is awesome for reaction baits.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 01, 2018 2:33 pm

I have no idea about the Tatula models you listed but the 172 M Zodias works very well as a highly versatile slightly beefier jerbait rod. Something to consider.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:08 pm

big_gee wrote:The M/MH is a little on the stiffer side for a M/MH it is great for bottom contact and I do use it for flukes but with hard jerkbaits and I can see pulling the trebles might be an issue. I use the Steez XT M for my jerkbaits and it is awesome for reaction baits.
Yeah I think you're right. Just found the weight on another thread at around 4.2oz, somehow I thought the AGS guides would've made it lighter. My expride 72mh is 4.2oz, and I can't snap that all day from a sitting position, my wrist would seize up.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:12 pm

LowRange wrote:I have no idea about the Tatula models you listed but the 172 M Zodias works very well as a highly versatile slightly beefier jerbait rod. Something to consider.
I had that and the 610m zodias, both great rods and you're right would be perfect...the only problem is the fluted alum foregrip/nut chafes against my hand. Never had an issue from land/deck of a boat but that weird side-jerk on the kayak...no bueno.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue May 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Daiwa Tatula Original 701MLRB. It's a great jerkbait/crankbait/topwater rod. Paired with an SV103H and it's plain awesome!