Expride A vs Orochi XX (2018)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Expride A vs Orochi XX (2018)

Post by timinmo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:22 am

I am unable to offer you much help as I have never fished an Orochi, but I do have two Exprides that I am very happy with. If the Orochi is better I would love to hear it from someone who has fished both. One of my Exprides is the original model the other is the newer model.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 am

I haven't used the new generation in either but i have a 7'2" mh expride gen1 and a orochi xx Diablo special type r gen 1. I like both a lot but the megabass dsr has become my favorite rod. I like the expride for moving baits like spinnerbaits bigger squarebills chatters but the rod has a slower action. The megabass has far superior build quality and is more crisp and perfect do it all rod for me. It can do all the expride can do but it shines for me for finesse jigs tx rigs etc. But i have no clue about either new gens

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:40 am

I've only tested gen 1 expride and orochi xxx. Much preferred the xxx. The way the blank flexes on a cast, sensitivity and cosmetics are better.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 am

The gen 2 exprides are much crispier than the gen 1s.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:34 am

i have quite a few of both sets of rods all my exprides are gen 2 so i cant speak for the older ones. The exprides are very crisp and have a true fast action. I have the 7'2" med hvy fast action, 7 med spinning , and 2 7"2" med hvy glass rods. I really like all these rods the build is good on all the rods i have, and the sensitivity is pretty good for what you pay. The exprides are really strong as well when fighting a fish. You really cant go wrong with the new expride especially for the price of a demo from tackle trap. The megabass orochi xx also has a great build quality as well as being pretty sensitive and well balanced. if you are a full cork guy the megabass will win you over. Where the megabass really shines would be the unique tapers they offer in the different rods making them a tad more fun to fish for me at least sensitivity would go slightly to the megabass in my hands also.

really cant go wrong with either though both are very good rod choices.

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Thu May 09, 2019 9:43 pm

Gonna revive this thread a little. Has any one else compared these two rods? Another one that has me curious is those tatula elite ags rods. Would like to hear what some others think. Tacticalbassin seems to give the expride a lot of love but recently the tatula ags and orochi xx have been talked about as well.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 am

Really interesting thread
Im waiting for the expride 6'10 rod for jerk baits.. its been on back order but from what I hear its good for jb and a whole lot more. I read someone was using it for MB popmax so it will be interesting. I hope it balances well with previous generation antares. I was looking at the XX line up as an alternative to the destroyer line.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:20 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:43 am
Really interesting thread
Im waiting for the expride 6'10 rod for jerk baits.. its been on back order but from what I hear its good for jb and a whole lot more. I read someone was using it for MB popmax so it will be interesting. I hope it balances well with previous generation antares. I was looking at the XX line up as an alternative to the destroyer line.
I was looking at the 6'10 M Expride myself but now shooting for the 6'11 M Poison Adrena instead. It showed May 20th on TW for a while but now showing June 14 :(

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sat May 11, 2019 1:24 am

i may be wrong but i think the hook up tackle has a 6'10 medium in stock or was three days ago. it is an excellent jerkbait rod as well.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat May 11, 2019 10:46 am

I just received noticed from TWH that my expride had shipped.
I paid via PayPal so the funds were already allocated to the rod and hopefully i can get it by the end of next week.
statistics is wrecking my brain right now so i went on a TT.com break ..lol

.( I see Lamiglas has a new rod not the infinity For me the infinity was good but more backbone would have made it perfect.. The lamiglas SI looks and is priced the same as the Infinity so that will be interesting .. )
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Sun May 19, 2019 10:00 pm

What's up with the limited supply on these exprides? :-k

jvanda1
Angler
Angler

Post by jvanda1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:56 pm

If anyone can compare the 6’6 expride to the 6’5 orochi xxx JDM for jerkbaits I’d love to hear your opinion!

Thx

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:34 am

jvanda1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:56 pm
If anyone can compare the 6’6 expride to the 6’5 orochi xxx JDM for jerkbaits I’d love to hear your opinion!

Thx
I can't compare them, but I did get the 6'6MF Expride from TW last summer and found that the action was a little slower than I wanted. It seemed more like ModFast to me, bending deeper into the blank than other rods I have that say Fast action. Looking back, it probably would have still been a good all-rounder and I should have kept it. I have some Fast Helium3s that seem just a little too soft for jerkbaits... I feel like I can't get a good snap to the tip. The 6'6MF Expride seemed similar, but I never fished it so I don't really know.

Hope this helps!

jvanda1
Angler
Angler

Post by jvanda1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:50 am

bwjay wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:34 am
jvanda1 wrote:

Thx
I can't compare them, but I did get the 6'6MF Expride from TW last summer and found that the action was a little slower than I wanted. It seemed more like ModFast to me, bending deeper into the blank than other rods I have that say Fast action. Looking back, it probably would have still been a good all-rounder and I should have kept it. I have some Fast Helium3s that seem just a little too soft for jerkbaits... I feel like I can't get a good snap to the tip. The 6'6MF Expride seemed similar, but I never fished it so I don't really know.

Hope this helps!
What are you using for jerkbaits now?
Your saying you had the expride but never used it?

Thanks!

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:22 am

jvanda1 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:50 am
bwjay wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:34 am
jvanda1 wrote:

Thx

Hope this helps!
What are you using for jerkbaits now?
Your saying you had the expride but never used it?

Thanks!
I don't yet have any rods that have a crisper tip for jerkbaits. I was limited to the bank last year and rarely used them in favor of more weedless baits since we get crazy mats here in MN. I sent the rod back to TW since it was slower than what I was looking for. I asked them if I could still return it after fishing it (to see if it'll do what I want) and they said they can't guarantee they'll accept the return, so I just sent it back. Again, I may have been wrong about it being too slow for what I wanted, so I can't quite say if it's "too slow" for jerkbaits.