Top water rod help needed

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Top water rod help needed

Post by Rodster14 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:49 am

One of my favorite ways to catch bass is on a little 1/4 Rico or Megabass Pop x. I fish bigger poppers on casting gear, but I prefer spinning rods for this technique. Last year, I tied a popper onto a Loomis GLX 6’10 Shaky Head rod. I caught more fish on that set up and almost anything else last year. I always felt like I was using the wrong rod though (I guess because it was an extra fast tip and was a little long). Since then, I have tried other rods and haven’t found the right one. I am considering the Loomis IMX Pro 6'9" Med Jerkbait 812 JBR. What are your thoughts?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Top water rod help needed

Post by Cristo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:21 am

Hmmm, 1/4oz pop x duties. For TW especially on smaller presentations I like a softer rod overall slow even :big grin: Fast is great as long as it has that supple tip especially for small TW profiles IMHO. Sounds like you want a longer specimen? Sounds like you are leaning toward Loomis as well? Since this is a favored technique do you have a budget? What type of line do you sling with stated lure and technique? With a technique being favored generally more money will be spent IMHO. I am riding the MB train till it runs off the tracks but others I am sure will chime in with their thoughts and hopefully expand your choices of rods.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Most all my rods are custom, but I'm needing a very similar rod for top water baits around a quarter ounce as well. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Daiwa Tatula Elite 6'9 medium light. Should be able to pull double duty for quite a few other things as well.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:02 pm

I know they're not as popular of a rod brand but I would seriously consider the major craft don iovino 6'8 nanoace rod. I use this rod exclusively for my light topwater/jerkbaits such as the gunfish 70 and rapala x-rap 08 baits. It also serves double duty as a BFS rod for neko rigs in a pinch.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:29 am

I use 10 lb braid with a short leader. My budget is $250 or less. I have been able to get several of the IMX Pros at really good deals. I do like Loomis, Expride, and Zodias, but it I’m not stuck on those brands. I actually looked at the Don Iovino, but I wondered how the extra fast tip would work. He has Splash It casting rod with a moderate fast tip. I think I am looking for something like that in a 6’8 spinning version. You would think it would be easy to find, but it hasn’t been so far.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:48 am

You may want to look into 13 Fishing, they have had and may still have an Aussie line both cast and spinning. Their 1st gen Omen Blacks were fantastic IMHO especially some of the Aussie models. I m unsure of what they offer now but could be a viable option :-k Have you checked into Dobyns? Overall I feel like they have a great many options that may have you covered :-k Best of luck!

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:07 am

Actually, I was looking at a Dobyns Sierra Series Spinning Rod 6'9" Medium today. Tackle Warhouse has it on sale for 25% off. I have never had a Dobyns, so I don’t much about them other than they have a good reputation.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm

I threw a Michael popper this week with my new MB Orochi XXX Themis and was very pleased with it. I have a Daiwa PX Type R on it and was able to sling the bait a country mile!

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:25 pm

Winstondry wrote:I threw a Michael popper this week with my new MB Orochi XXX Themis and was very pleased with it. I have a Daiwa PX Type R on it and was able to sling the bait a country mile!
I might add that the price I got it for makes it even sweeter. Came out to just under $200 brand new and shipped with the 20% coupon deal they had going for the day.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:47 pm

I would recommend the 6'10 MF Shimano Expride. Its one awsome jerkbait and topwater rod. Retails just over $250 but with code from TTT or on sale at various places you can pick one up right around your budget. The Zodias line has the same rod in it too, lose some sensitivity but you dont need it for topwater. Great rods nonetheless.