Taper Characteristics of Different Rod Brands?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Taper Characteristics of Different Rod Brands?

Post by DenhamBruce » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:54 am

So I've been in the market for a new frog rod because I'm not all that pleased with the action of the one I'm using currently. I have been fishing a 13 Omen 2 71MH and the backbone is too stiff when fighting a fish as it seems like only the top 20% of the rod bends under load. This would be fine with mono, but I only use braid and thinks this leads to more pulled hooks when you're wrenching on them with a locked drags. For braid I want a rod with deeper taper that bends further into the blank. This goes whether I'm fishing frogs or even a jig. For example, my MHX FS904 bends deeper into the blank than my Omen yet its still a heavier rod.

So my question is, what are some brands that generally fish how I'm describing? If you've fished either of the rods I have and can compare to other brands that would be great! Would love to hear about some brands and experiences you've had with them to compare to my own.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Taper Characteristics of Different Rod Brands?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:25 am

This is my short answer. I will provide a longer response once I get to my computer.

The manufacturer is the biggest variable. Brands tend to run the same through every line. Phenix is "softer/more bend where say St Croix and Abu Garcia are stiffer/faster than the "average"

Material comes next. A NFC blank that is SM material will be generally softer/more bend than the HM series.

Best way is to read the forum here and get a general idea about the characteristics of a certain brand. People also have different preferences on what type of setup for an application so, keep that in mind.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:33 pm

So I've heard that yes Abu and St Croix fish stiffer. But from my experience when comparing a heavy rated rod between the two, the St Croix still bends deeper into into the blank than the Abu which seems like a pool stick. I was actually considering the 74H Mojo but cant get my hands on any of the rods I want to try without ordering one.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:11 pm

Check out Power Tackle

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:08 pm

I'd suggest Jackal x Shimano Poison rods. Thus far, I've had a chance to fish with a H power in both the ultima and adrena lines, which kind of spans their price range. I think they are in line with what you are looking for. For the price, I think the adrena series is a heavy hitter. With the ultima, you get extra sensitivity and even more taper, but in both series you get so much taper/action under load and when loading to cast--opposite of the broomstick effect you describe. All the while tapers remain fast on those blanks built to be such.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:14 pm

If you want a powerful rod that bends deep into the bank, the MB Hyuga 72H has been working great as a frog rod for me.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:49 pm

Those rods sound like great suggestions price is a factor for me. I was looking for one brand specifically to run a certain way hoping to get a good model without spending a whole lot of money. But perhaps these characteristics I'm talking about are just something you find in a high end, well made fishing rod..

MULEY
Angler
Angler

Post by MULEY » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Dobyns rods , action , balance , you cant go wrong !

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:24 am

I haven't used those rods, but you may want to look into iRods. I've fished quite a few of the Genesis II series rods and most of them are built on a thicker, thin walled blank. The moderate action ones really fit my style of fishing. Quick blanks and more bend equals less lost fish for my style of fishing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:04 am

Dobyns seems a tad bit softer than St. Croix and Abu style rods, with maybe a tad deeper bend. I for this reason and considering a MH Dobyns rod because it is as soft as both my Abu and St. Croix Mediums with a bit better flex.

Being a primarily fluoro fisherman, my 7'Medium Villain 2.0 rods are perfect with 12lb FC for semi finesse/general purpose. The newer Abu rods (at least higher end) are a little more true to action rated but still have a very stiff backbone without much tip.

TFO rods (I know not many use them) have always had a deeper bend to me. Their Heavy powered TFO Tactical rod would have been a great frog rod with braid or Carolina rig rod with braid, they load up nice.

Lew's rods are all over the damn place. My 7'3"MH Magnum Hammer is rated like a Medium (1/4-5/8, like the Villain 2.0) but has a nice, faster Medium 1/3 that translates to an overly powerful 2/3 bottom section that seems it could go over 5/8. Same goes for my 7'6"MH Mag Bass, it's weird. The 7'6"MH and 7'M cranking rods are true to nature though, they fish good. All are the Custom Speed Stick white/black with Duracork handles.

The 7'ML xf Abu Villain 2.0 spinning rod I have must be one of the most perfect dropshot rods I've owned (for action). Their definition of extra fast is different than other brands and this Abu almost has a softer yet responsive tip that translates quick to a strong but flexible backbone capable of setting the hook on even TX rigged dropshots.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:53 pm

ogrich31 wrote:I haven't used those rods, but you may want to look into iRods. I've fished quite a few of the Genesis II series rods and most of them are built on a thicker, thin walled blank. The moderate action ones really fit my style of fishing. Quick blanks and more bend equals less lost fish for my style of fishing.
I have an iRod "Fred's Magic Stick" and it is a very nice frog rod and has enough bend that I can use it for smaller treble-hooked swimbaits. However, it has a pretty long handle which kills it for me as a frog rod, but if that isn't a big deal for you then they are worth a look.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:30 am

It would be awesome if TT could do something similar to the Destroyer USA First Look for all the big players. Get a balance point, overall weight and rod deflection chart for each model.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:27 am

Houndfish wrote:
ogrich31 wrote:I haven't used those rods, but you may want to look into iRods. I've fished quite a few of the Genesis II series rods and most of them are built on a thicker, thin walled blank. The moderate action ones really fit my style of fishing. Quick blanks and more bend equals less lost fish for my style of fishing.
I have an iRod "Fred's Magic Stick" and it is a very nice frog rod and has enough bend that I can use it for smaller treble-hooked swimbaits. However, it has a pretty long handle which kills it for me as a frog rod, but if that isn't a big deal for you then they are worth a look.
The majority of Irods are a little slower when compared to "traditional fast" rods. In fact, they just released a 7'1"H Poche rod, Poche's Punisher Rod, because the 7'H is too slow for the way Poche likes to fish jigs. The handles are slightly longer. I am 5'11" and can work a frog just fine and set the hook with no issues. Where I see this as a problem is for guys with short arms or who like to sit when they fish.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:17 am

I'd definitely like to know what you come up with. Love the more moderate rods for frog fishing. Started experimenting years ago, and found that I really liked frogging with a shorter, Heavy powered cranking rod. Ratings to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2oz and that moderate fast bend kept fish hooked up better than anything I have used and still has the power to drag them out of the heavy stuff.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:58 pm

I really like the idea of a Mod-fast rod for frogs. Was looking at the Fitzgerald Bryan Thrift frog rod so maybe thats an option. Sounds like I'll have to give Dobyns a try since they seem to be a leader in the bass industry. It definitely would be really cool to see someone compile all the rods on the market and compare them on a deflection chart to see how the actions differ since it so hard to get your hands on a lot of rods out there before buying one... Sometime soon hopefully! :D