Deep Cranking Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
kalninm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:02 pm
Location: Cortland, NY

Deep Cranking Rod

Postby kalninm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Did a little looking around on here and found some love towards the Dobyns 805CB, which really doesn't surprise me but here is my situation. I throw 6XDs and 8XD's a lot and had been using a cheapen 13 fishing cranking stick. It did the job but I wanted something heavier, I ended up getting the Ark 7'11" cranking rod. I got myself a Gen 1 Revo Winch (One reel I've always wanted) this reel is amazing at tossing those things. Anyways I love my Ark invoker but this rod is just way too heavy weight wise. Not sure what exactly it weighs but it tired me out tossing the 8XD on it all day, and the split grip kills me. Should have thought about that before I purchased it but when you get on a good cranking bite and you're setting the hook 20-40 times a day and that blank is constantly getting slammed into your ribs. So I'm looking for a 6xd/8xd rod in the 7'6"-8' range that is a little lighter and wont tire me out so quick, with a full grip option. What kind of options do we have? I'm struggling to find much I like other than maybe the Lew's David Fritts Perfect Cranking Stick but I'm really not close to being sold on that. Is the Dobyns 805 my best bet here?

surf n turf
Angler
Angler
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Deep Cranking Rod

Postby surf n turf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Slinging deep cranks all day is going to get tiring no matter which rod you end up going with. I run an 805 CB RM in my rotation and it's a fine cranking rod for DD22's, 6XD's, and the like. A day of bomb casts, ripping through weeds, and setting hooks usually ends with sore hands, arms, and back.

kalninm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:02 pm
Location: Cortland, NY

Re: Deep Cranking Rod

Postby kalninm » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:54 am

I agree there will be some wear and tear when doing that all day but the Ark just seems way over weight, maybe I should have looked into that first but it seems way too cumbersome for my liking. Even with a reel as heavy as a gen 1 winch it didn't do much to balance it out. I think that's the biggest thing is balance on the rod so you're not constantly fighting it

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Deep Cranking Rod

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:54 pm

I been using St Croix LTG MH for deep stuff, I have to say its the best cranking rod I have ever used.

I find myself using it even when the crankbait bite is slow.

I use it with SK 6XD 5XD, DT10, Megabass x-300 and x-150, Ima Beast to name a few and it also is amazing for
lipless cranks.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 821
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Deep Cranking Rod

Postby wirinhar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I been using St Croix LTG MH for deep stuff, I have to say its the best cranking rod I have ever used.

I find myself using it even when the crankbait bite is slow.

I use it with SK 6XD 5XD, DT10, Megabass x-300 and x-150, Ima Beast to name a few and it also is amazing for
lipless cranks.


Hi Bronzeback,

Are you talking about Big or Magnum Cranker??? Don't mind to share? :)

I have Big cranker and it is awesome with DT10 and OSP Blitz Dr Max but it was a bit off with Megabass 300X.

I use G Rods International Game changer 7' 11" for Megabass 300X and Duo Crank G87-15A and it is just great.

Regards,
WW

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Deep Cranking Rod

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 pm

wirinhar wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I been using St Croix LTG MH for deep stuff, I have to say its the best cranking rod I have ever used.

I find myself using it even when the crankbait bite is slow.

I use it with SK 6XD 5XD, DT10, Megabass x-300 and x-150, Ima Beast to name a few and it also is amazing for
lipless cranks.


Hi Bronzeback,

Are you talking about Big or Magnum Cranker??? Don't mind to share? :)

I have Big cranker and it is awesome with DT10 and OSP Blitz Dr Max but it was a bit off with Megabass 300X.

I use G Rods International Game changer 7' 11" for Megabass 300X and Duo Crank G87-15A and it is just great.

Regards,
WW


Legend Tournament Glass MH

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 821
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Deep Cranking Rod

Postby wirinhar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:48 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I been using St Croix LTG MH for deep stuff, I have to say its the best cranking rod I have ever used.

I find myself using it even when the crankbait bite is slow.

I use it with SK 6XD 5XD, DT10, Megabass x-300 and x-150, Ima Beast to name a few and it also is amazing for
lipless cranks.


Hi Bronzeback,

Are you talking about Big or Magnum Cranker??? Don't mind to share? :)

I have Big cranker and it is awesome with DT10 and OSP Blitz Dr Max but it was a bit off with Megabass 300X.

I use G Rods International Game changer 7' 11" for Megabass 300X and Duo Crank G87-15A and it is just great.

Regards,
WW


Legend Tournament Glass MH


Thanks for info, Sir!!!

WW

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: St Louis MO

Re: Deep Cranking Rod

Postby toporanger » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:09 am

I run a megabass launcher. Perfect for UP to a 8xd. I dont like it for 10xds at all but it works in a pinch. I mostly throw dd22, 6xd and 8xd on it. No issues throwing it all day and I have caught several 30"+ muskies the last few seasons on it while deep cranking for bass.


Return to “Rods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: casterus, Iowa fluke and 65 guests