Edge Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Edge Rods

Post by sydaar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:51 am

Edge Rods is having a pretty decent sale going on now and I was thinking about picking up a couple. I have a couple of their older rods (MH casting spiral wrapped and drop shot rods) and I think they're great but I see very little about them on the forum. Is there anything going on with the company or anything I should know before buying? Any input would be appreciated

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Edge Rods

Post by Cristo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:33 pm

1st!!

and second.......

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Great rods! In fact my personal favorite- I currently have 5 and another one on the way. They are always swamped and customer service is rather slow but cannot beat the product.
When I ordered the latest rod they were 3-5 weeks out. It will be 5 weeks this weekend. I just called them today since I have never heard anything from them and am now told it will be 1.5-2 more weeks. They really need to put his on their website as i am sure they must have a lot of angry folks by now.
So if waiting nearly 2 months is worth it for a great rod...............
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

floriduhfish
Angler
Angler

Post by floriduhfish » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Yep great rods, I have the 7'8" extra heavy casting rod. Tackle warehouse price matched their website price. Its a very sensitive
and strong rod. I would buy another.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:23 am

Great blanks.

I have been underwhelmed by the guide layout and build quality. They really need better builders and someone who knows how to space the guides better. The rod I bought had extreme flat spots and line touching the blank under minimal flex.

I've spoke with their management and unfortunately they dont seem to want to address the issue.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:14 am

My experience with the Kickstarter fiasco--extreme delays, no communication, substitution of cheap guides for those promised--killed any interest I had in future purchases from them. Looks like the delays and lack of communication remain problems.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Bronzeye wrote:My experience with the Kickstarter fiasco--extreme delays, no communication, substitution of cheap guides for those promised--killed any interest I had in future purchases from them. Looks like the delays and lack of communication remain problems.
Kickstarter fiasco?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:16 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:My experience with the Kickstarter fiasco--extreme delays, no communication, substitution of cheap guides for those promised--killed any interest I had in future purchases from them. Looks like the delays and lack of communication remain problems.
Kickstarter fiasco?
A couple of years back Edge had a kickstarter deal, $150 get a rod and a hat, I can't recall the entire offer but it sounded good. So I ordered a 714 FS. It was probably 4 mos. b4 I got the rod, some waited way longer. They kept on giving us BS as to when the rods would ship, when they did ship, they shipped the wrong stuff etc. Yea, it was a fiasco. The rod i finally got had a decal that said MH Fast, but fishes like a medium moderate. I did order a 787 flipping stick, that only took 3 weeks. I'm pretty much done with Edge.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 am

Avoid the hassle & just order a Kistler Helium or Z bone.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:46 am

7 weeks later I call to ask what happen to my rod and they go "upstairs" to find my order and tell me it was not put on the production line but to call back next week......... If this one ever arrives it will unfortunately be my last.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:26 pm

That's a pretty long lead time. I'd only wait that long if it were a true custom built rod where I choose the length, guides, grips, reel seat, etc. I was just looking into their rods too!

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Spoke with them today and got to hear about the 120 messages they have in the mailbox, 118 missed calls, etc. Told me he would talk with production manager but it would still be a few weeks. I was told he would call me back later today.- never did.

btoups
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by btoups » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:02 am

I’ve been happy with the Edge rod I got from Kickstarter, but these wait times seem extreme.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:07 pm

Was told last week that "rod will be shipped this week"
Still nothing and its been 8 weeks so I cancelled the order.
I really hope they get it together- great product but I am a firm believer in customer service...........

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:35 pm

Hey there ‘Nut,

Which model were you looking to get from them? I had a similar experience last October with an online order, many many calls and emails exchanged before I finally received the rod sometime mid January. I’ve since acquired a number of Black Widows, perhaps I have one you’re looking for.