Looking for first megabass rod please help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for first megabass rod please help

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:There is a MB PH3 Bearing Down for sale in the classifieds, posted just a couple of hours ago. Would fit your needs well. It probobly won't last through the night on the board. As you will soon learn with a MB addiction, act fast and make excuses to your wife later.

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=3792
Just pm’d him for some info, thanks on the heads up, appreciate it!

What can you tell me about this rod that would beat out the diablo spec-r for my needs?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:42 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:There is a MB PH3 Bearing Down for sale in the classifieds, posted just a couple of hours ago. Would fit your needs well. It probobly won't last through the night on the board. As you will soon learn with a MB addiction, act fast and make excuses to your wife later.

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=3792
Just pm’d him for some info, thanks on the heads up, appreciate it!

What can you tell me about this rod that would beat out the diablo spec-r for my needs?
It's 6'11 (you said under 7) and it's sold out. A nice pickup for someone.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:36 pm

What size braid should I go with now that I have the steez sv 103xs and the Spec-R combo?
I use power pro and I was thinking of getting 50lb braid but is that too heavy for my finess applications where I’m weightless?
I currently have 20lb on my revo sx and works great but the steez is saying it’s 14lb/100 and 16/90 mono where the equivalent chart I found for power pro says 16mono = 65 braid and 14= 60 ?

If the reel doesn’t state anything lower does that mean I can’t go lower in #?

What do you guys think would work the best?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Try Maxuato 40, the new Sunline Xplasma or Dual Hardcore 30. The recommendations on line size are not the gospel. I wouldnt go above .3 mm if you want to maximize distance with less than 3/8th oz lures.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Try Maxuato 40, the new Sunline Xplasma or Dual Hardcore 30. The recommendations on line size are not the gospel. I wouldnt go above .3 mm if you want to maximize distance with less than 3/8th oz lures.
Couldn’t find the first one you mentioned maxuato even tried maxauto for typo.
And I said power pro because I use it on all my set ups and never had a reason to change but ill definitely research the other 2 you mentioned.
Thanks for the help.

So what # is .3mm or lower in the power pro?

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:36 pm

Frogs and weightless senko rods really are a bit apart power wise unless you're fishing mostly moderate to open water frogging. Megabass Frog rods are usually F7 power with F6 doable. Weightless senko rods for MB is usually F4-F5 power.

With that said and the length you want I would recommend the Phase 3 Super Destroyer. It's rated at F6 so it has just enough power as long as its not the super slops and the rod has a softer tip than a true Jig rod. The rod is 6'9.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:Try Maxuato 40, the new Sunline Xplasma or Dual Hardcore 30. The recommendations on line size are not the gospel. I wouldnt go above .3 mm if you want to maximize distance with less than 3/8th oz lures.
And I said power pro because I use it on all my set ups and never had a reason to change but ill definitely research the other 2 you mentioned.
Thanks for the help.

Well I did spell it wrong. It's Maxcuatro, made by Power Pro. It's thier premium line, the 40lb is .28mm, whereas the normal 30lb Power Pro is .28mm.
http://www.powerpro.com/content/powerpr ... UATRO.html
I state that line size as it's a good balance for an SV spool with the amount of line the spool will hold, strength and a small enough diameter to facilitate a longer cast with 1/4oz to 3/8th oz lures.
Alot of times it just takes some trial and error to find out what works best for you.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Bass1980 wrote:Frogs and weightless senko rods really are a bit apart power wise unless you're fishing mostly moderate to open water frogging. Megabass Frog rods are usually F7 power with F6 doable. Weightless senko rods for MB is usually F4-F5 power.

With that said and the length you want I would recommend the Phase 3 Super Destroyer. It's rated at F6 so it has just enough power as long as its not the super slops and the rod has a softer tip than a true Jig rod. The rod is 6'9.
Hey thanks for the help but I ended up purchasing a Diablo Spec-R.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:
Thanks for the help.

Well I did spell it wrong. It's Maxcuatro, made by Power Pro. It's thier premium line, the 40lb is .28mm, whereas the normal 30lb Power Pro is .28mm.
I state that line size as it's a good balance for an SV spool with the amount of line the spool will hold, strength and a small enough diameter to facilitate a longer cast with 1/4oz to 3/8th oz lures.
Alot of times it just takes some trial and error to find out what works best for you.
perfect, I found it. Its on sale nearby too so ill pick it up. The place only has 50lb which is .32mm but im sure thats still ok right?
how many yards should i put on at 50lb and .32mm?
And thanks for the link for the chart.
Also, would you choose the maxcuatro over the super slick 8 and regular power pro?
Im reading mixed reviews on this stuff on tacklewarehouse.com including a lot of knot slips.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:
Thanks for the help.

perfect, I found it. Its on sale nearby too so ill pick it up. The place only has 50lb which is .32mm but im sure thats still ok right?
Also, would you choose the maxcuatro over the super slick 8 and regular power pro?
Im reading mixed reviews on this stuff on tacklewarehouse.com including a lot of knot slips.
I read the bad reviews before I bought it too. It is not a slick line, which is where you find knot slip issues. I never had a problem with slippage tying fluro leader with the alberto knot. My water is too clear to tie directly braid to lure. You should have no problem getting 100 yards 50# of Maxcuatro on that SV spool. Should be no problem getting nice casts with a weightless Senko especially with that rod.

I am still searching for the perfect braid, it's yet to be made. I am using 4 different brands right now, and none of them are perfect.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Datbasstho wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I read the bad reviews before I bought it too. It is not a slick line, which is where you find knot slip issues. I never had a problem with slippage tying fluro leader with the alberto knot. My water is too clear to tie directly braid to lure. You should have no problem getting 100 yards 50# of Maxcuatro on that SV spool. Should be no problem getting nice casts with a weightless Senko especially with that rod.

I am still searching for the perfect braid, it's yet to be made. I am using 4 different brands right now, and none of them are perfect.
Sounds good, I’ll try it out. I love the regular power pro and tried the super slick 8 and wasn’t a fan of it because of how slick it was and the knot issues, so if the maxcuatro doesn’t have it, I’ll try it out.

Let me know when u find he perfect braid! Lol

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:26 am

What knot have you been using on the super slick? I've been using super slick for many years now and have had no issues with knots. I use braid in the ocean and the fish there run much larger than bass lol. Try using the FG knot. I use 30lb super slick to 20lb fluoro. Of course the knot has to be tied correctly, but you shouldn't have any issues. I've been doing 20 wraps with the FG.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:16 pm

darrin wrote:What knot have you been using on the super slick? I've been using super slick for many years now and have had no issues with knots. I use braid in the ocean and the fish there run much larger than bass lol. Try using the FG knot. I use 30lb super slick to 20lb fluoro. Of course the knot has to be tied correctly, but you shouldn't have any issues. I've been doing 20 wraps with the FG.
Palomar knot but I had issues when not using a leader.
using a leader I used a double uni and never had an issue with that.
Ill try the FG knot tho and see how it works thanks!

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:31 pm

I got to try out my Diablo Spec-R and Daiwa SV Steez for the first time and all I can say is WOW!!!!
The rod is unlike anything I’ve ever used and is extremely sensitive based on what I’ve used in the past.
And the reel is like butter, deadly combo.
Threw some 40lb Maxcuatro and loved it.

Caught some nice 3lb smallies on it and enjoyed every part!

So I want to thank you guys for helping me find the right rod, reel and line and I appreciate you guys and these forums!
Here’s some pics:

Last edited by Datbasstho on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:47 pm

Congrats. That is a sleek and sexy setup right there.